Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Holmes Type 8 lube

Author Topic: Holmes Type 8 lube
Derek Maxwell
Film Handler

- posted 11-22-1999 11:54 PM      Profile for Derek Maxwell   Author's Homepage   Email Derek Maxwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am trying to figure out what type of lube used in the Holmes movement. The manual says grease but not what type. A friend of mine who has been servicing 35mm or 40 years says it is suppose to be oil bath like most machines. What do you think? The only other machine I heard about that was grease pack was an old Motigraph AA. He is telling me to make it oil bath so the movement won't wear so fast. What are your thoughts and suggestions?

|  IP: Logged

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-23-1999 09:12 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I rebuilt my Holmes, I was told to pack it with wheel bearing grease. I did just this, and the machine runs well. I bought a 7 pound tub and had a little left over to use on the car!

If there is something better, I'd like to know, too, because I want this thing to last!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-23-1999 10:19 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Motiograph AA grease was a Lubriplate APG90 gear oil that is sold for outboard marine motors
I have used it in Century movements when the machines were tipped upwards to project on a ceiling and another on the floor oil would run out so we packed the movement with apg90 and then siloconed it shut They are still working

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-29-1999 10:38 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I met with another Holmes owner this weekend in Atlanta. He packed the transmission case with grease the way I did. His is running well, too. I also had an opportunity to compare the running speed of the Holmes to a pair of beautiful Simplex machines. I ran my variable density '30's movie on this equipment. The pitch is the same, so I know that my Holmes is not dragging. I never thought it was, because, the motor does not get excessively warm.

The major difference between the Super Simplex and the Holmes (Besides one being a real projector) is the lack of noise from the intermittant on the simplex.

I guess the Holmes is just naturally noisy.

Derek Maxwell
Film Handler

- posted 12-01-1999 12:08 AM      Profile for Derek Maxwell   Author's Homepage   Email Derek Maxwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Holmes would be a very quiet running machine if the intermittent was oil bath and didn't wear so fast with grease. My friend is rebuilding a spare movement for me and we are going to attemp to put seals on the gear shaft so we can make the movement oil bath. I'm sure it will work much better, last alot longer, and be much quieter.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: