Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Eastern Federal?

Author Topic: Eastern Federal?
Megan Penmann
Film Handler

- posted 11-22-1999 10:30 PM      Profile for Megan Penmann     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone heard of Eastern Federal? They're building a 16-plex here in Gainesville, FL, and I want to get a head start on applying to work there as a projectionist. I've been unable to find them on the net or find out what other cities they have theatres in. Is it a good company? Right now I work at a little on-campus theater making only minimum wage. Which isn't that bad considering I only have one projector to look after, and I don't have to clean or tear tickets. At AMC I made 5.75 but I had to simultaneously tear tickets, sell tickets, sell concessions, clean theatres and start movies. But I never had a brain wrap or any huge problem the entire time I worked there. The only problems I had were pure mechanical errors (bulbs going out, diodes that needed to be replaced). At any rate... If anyone has the inside scoop on Eastern Federal, post it.

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-22-1999 10:52 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I looked in my NATO book and couldn't find them either. Could be a regional independent.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-22-1999 11:05 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did a quick check on Alta Vista and found this:
Eastern Federal Theaters
Franklin Square Phase III
14 screens
3778 E. Franklin
Gastonia, N.C.
704-824-9556
All digital sound/stadium seating in the complex.

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 11-27-1999 01:06 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eastern Federal - a pretty good sized chain in the Carolinas... I think some parts of Virginia.

Their ads are impressive and well done in the paper I saw, and they seem to have plenty of decent sized plexes.

I seem to recall hearing somewhere that they were affiliated with another larger chain...

Although I could be REALLY wrong about that.

Stephen Winner
Film Handler

- posted 11-28-1999 10:06 PM      Profile for Stephen Winner   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Winner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are building one right around the corner from my full-time job, anybody have any experience with how good a show they put on, how good their theaters are (size, seating style, projection equip?).

Steven Winner

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2002 12:44 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bumping this up to pass along the Eastern Federal website for our newbies.

They're in Florida and the Carolinas -- mostly mainstream with 2 upmarket theaters and 1 arthouse.

Neil Hunter
Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2002 12:24 AM      Profile for Neil Hunter   Email Neil Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are an independant chain as far as I know, based out of Charlotte, NC. A friend of mine spoke with the lead projectionist at one of their Charlotte locations, and told me that he was pretty satisfied with the company. They actually have a "lead projectionist" position, or at least at this particular complex. I have heard nothing but good things about them.

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2002 06:55 AM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't comment about their operations, the last time I was in an EF theatre was the mid 1970s. Their website design has a fatal flaw though, one common with many web pages. The initial page took almost exactly one minute to load on my 56k dialup and subsequent pages took too long as well. Customers wanting to get showtimes don't want to wait for slow loading pages.

The first impression that a 56k user gets of many semi-professionally designed websites is a blank image map that immediately cries out "I'm so impressed with my ability to make pretty pictures with Front Page that wasting your time doesn't matter. When the page loads (sometime within the next hour) you'll be impressed."

If an index page doesn't load within 10 seconds on a dialup connection or give me an "opt out" of the intro, I am NOT impressed by the skills of the designer. Please, if you must make fancy web pages, give me the choice of waiting to see pretty pictures or seeing a simple page that loads quickly and gets the job done.

I can't believe that EF's customers all have DSL or cablemodems.

Oscar Neundorfer
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2002 07:03 AM      Profile for Oscar Neundorfer   Author's Homepage   Email Oscar Neundorfer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eastern Federal is a family owned company out of Charlotte, NC. We have a long-standing vendor relationship with them, and I can tell you that they are one of nicest groups of people to work with you could want. They have theatres in NC, SC and FL. I am not sure about other states.

They build one or two complexes a year, and they build pretty nice cinemas. The latest one just opened in Florence, SC. They did a one week charity run of last years films before the official opening, and donated the substantial proceeds to some local charities.

Definitely a classy outfit!

------------------
Oscar Neundorfer
Chief Engineer
SMART Devices, Inc.

oscar@smartdev.com

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 06-20-2002 02:13 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AND the run an art house....makes 'em ok in my book.

The heart of the matter is right there in a nutshell -- they are a family owned company. There is someone at the head who WANTS to be in the movie business and is right there overseeing operations. It is not a company owned by a subsidiary of a parent owned by a conglomerate which is in a business that has nothing to do with motion picture exhibition. I love the time Warner Brothers was owned by a parent that ran funeral homes and parking lots -- A Kenny Company, wasn't it? You could park, see a movie and buy your coffin all in an afternoon!

Frank

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 06-20-2002 06:26 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the summery for those not patient enough to wait for the main page to load.

Eastern Federal Theatres, headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina, is one of the premier regional motion picture exhibitors in the United States. Beginning with the acquisition of its first properties in the early 1930's, EFC has been continuously involved in the development, ownership and operation of motion picture theatres. Since the mid-1970s, the Company has pursued a strategy of owning its theatre properties and utilizing its in-house real estate, engineering and construction expertise to select and develop custom built theatre facilities.
The Company is privately owned by members of the Meiselman family. Current Chief Executive Officer Carter D. Meiselman represents the third generation of the Meiselman family in senior management after his father, Ira S. Meiselman, and his grandfather, Herman B. Meiselman. George A. Royster, Jr. is the Executive Vice President of the company.

The Company currently owns 21 theatres operating or under construction throughout North Carolina, South Carolina and Florida. Of its total of 202 screens, 163 or 81% are stadium seated and all theatres feature digital stereo sound systems. The Company's goal is to provide a state of the art entertainment experience for its patrons that will keep alive the "Magic of the Movies."

I like their motto. It makes you feel like your about to go in for something special when you go to see a movie, something that is sorely missed today.

Josh

Ryan Powers
Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2002 08:08 PM      Profile for Ryan Powers   Email Ryan Powers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since I live in Charlotte, I can give you the low down first hand from a customer standpoint. In my opinion Eastern Federal is average at best compared to the competition in the area. The Charlotte metro area mainly consists of four different theater chains. Eastern Federal, it's local rival also headquarted in Charlotte, Consolidated Theaters, and the big guys AMC, and Regal Cinemas. Of the four chains in Charlotte, Eastern Federal has the most locations with seven. Of all the locations which I have visited here in Charlotte and one in Winston Salem, I have found that all the auditoriums are very narrow with small screens. Even auditoriums with seating of 250 offer a screen size which I normally see in the smallest auditorium at Carmike or Regal. I am not saying this is the case for all locations because I have not been to every location in my state. I have only been to one new Eastern Federal theater with stadium seating. I did not care for it at all. The main reason being that because the auditoriums are so long and narrow, half the seating is a sloping floor style and the back half is stadium. The negative with this is, the seats for the sloping floor are completely different then the stadium. While the stadium seats are very nice and comfortable much like what is available in a new AMC theater they are so far back that the screen looks like a postage stamp. The sloping floor seats are those very uncomfortable seats you might find in a theater built before the 90's. The back support ends at my shoulder blades. Cup holders in this section attached to the seat in front of you compared to attached to your arm rest. At least on on every row ends up missing because someone put their feet up on the seat in front and broke the cup holder off. Even though the stadium seating is the nicest, I have found most people including me sometimes seated up closer to the screen in the uncomfotable seats.

Eastern Federal offers DTS, Dolby Digital, and Dolby Digital EX at certain locations. Not all screens offer digital sound. I have found the sound at each location to be average. Nothing impressive, but not terrible either.

Eastern Federal's oldest location, "The Manor" is in Charlotte and currently runs independent films on it's two screens. This theater was recently renovated with new seating, curtains, and lobby. No stadium seating or digital surround sound is available here. This location is also home to the Charlotte film Society. It's still a nice theater and even better after the renovations.

Each location which I have visited except for the Northpoint cinema in Winston Salem, has always been extremely clean each and every visit. Even the Northpoint location isn't that bad. It's concessions offer much the same which you can find at any other chain.

In most of their locations, my opinion is that there is a serious lack of detail in each cinema. Most are as basic as they come for today's standards. However, things are beginning to change with their latest projects. The newest Eastern Federal Cinema in the Charlotte area which is called the Birkdale 16 is from what I have heard extremely nice. No word on the screen size and mixed seating yet, but it flaunts a impressive looking lobby. From what I hear the lobby is set up like a court yard with benches and street lamps. The ceiling is black with fiber optic lighting to look like stars in the sky. I will eventually check it out for myself.

All I can say is that they do a nice job, the theaters are clean and the people working there are friendly. In Charlotte though, AMC, Consolidated, and Regal are hands down one step ahead from a personal prospective in seating, sound, screen and overall theater appearance inside and outside. This comes from someone who lives 2 miles from a new 12 screen Eastern Federal Theater but drives past it to get to other locations 9 times out of 10. Sorry, but it's true.

James B. Openshaw
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2002 09:24 AM      Profile for James B. Openshaw   Author's Homepage   Email James B. Openshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have an Eastern Federal in Charleston. I haven't worked there but a couple of people I know that do work there told me that it's owned by a guy whose real job is selling real-estate and the cinema business is just a hobby of his.

The Eastern Federal Theater here is nice with Stadium Seating and Digital Sound in almost every theater (12-plex). The only downside is that the screens are small.

Hope this helps!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: