Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » More Important Q? First movie you wrecked? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: More Important Q? First movie you wrecked?
Tyler Skinner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-21-1999 05:36 PM      Profile for Tyler Skinner   Email Tyler Skinner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mine was South park, My tail flipped over the feed from the brain and wrapped for a good 10 minutes before the failsafe triggered. What a frieghtening scene.

|  IP: Logged

Christopher A Kerr
Film Handler

- posted 11-21-1999 05:41 PM      Profile for Christopher A Kerr   Email Christopher A Kerr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also South Park. Film caught on one of the teeth on the first sprocket and some 90 feet of film wrapped up inside the projector housing. A customer came out and said "The film stopped a few minutes ago and I can smell smoke. Is something wrong?" Burned out the projector and ruined a whole scene of the film. For some reason, none of the failsafes triggered. What a mess.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-21-1999 05:53 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
How odd! With South Park clocking in at under 90 minutes, there isn't even a need to secure the tail. Usually it's the longer movies like Titanic and anything by Kevin Costner that have problems such as this.

What type of platters are you two guys using?

My first problem was over 10 years after running projectors with no accidents/disasters. It was on Titanic. The film had been out for about 2 months and was already completely trashed by the time I transferred to this theater. The last 3 reels went flying off the platter like a frisbee some 20 feet away on my first shift, the first show. Turned out the platters were timed to a ludicrous 55RPM!!!

(Needless to say, there was a full recalibration of the speeds that first evening after the accident.)

Tyler Skinner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-21-1999 06:15 PM      Profile for Tyler Skinner   Email Tyler Skinner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have Strong Platters and they are all fine.

The problem was I was tucking the film under the film very loosely, and someone else had already chewed the tail by leaving it taped when they moved it. (shows you the intelligence of the "managers" I work with)

Johanna Innes
Film Handler

- posted 11-21-1999 06:52 PM      Profile for Johanna Innes   Email Johanna Innes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I managed to ruin There's Something About Mary. I know how it happened (and truthfully, it wasn't really my fault, it just happened on my shift), I just don't understand the physics of it all. Read on and I'll try to explain...

The movie was running on our antiquated Vic 8 (w/ Strong platters), which at the time was having brain wrap problems constantly (because of the static in our booth, and a brain that worked when it felt like it). Anyway, the movie wrapped to the point where there was a good 3/4" of film wrapped around the brain. Then the film spewed out all over the floor, from both the inside and outside of the movie.

Myself and another projectionist spent forever trying to rebuild the print. We took it off the platter, and wound it onto 36" reels using the makeup table. We lost a good 10-15 minutes of the movie, out of two or three different scenes, and of course the print was liberally covered in dirt from the floor.

Now here's the real mystery: we were winding film onto the reel out of the middle of what used to be on the platter. Then there was a break in the film. We went looking for the other end of the break, and found it coming off the outside of the film. I don't understand how that's even possible. I think we broke the laws of physics that night.

The sad thing is that we ran that print for another few weeks, given that we're a 3rd run house, and nobody was willing to sign off on the expense of getting us a new copy. And did I mention that our booth is carpeted (causing our chronic static problems) and nobody will pay to get it ripped out?

Sigh.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 11-21-1999 07:03 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I have never 'wrecked' a film, I have been Very Unkind to Film. The first, and probably biggest disaster I ever had was running, "The Competition." It's about two people competing in a high brow piano contest, and you don't know who wins until the very end. There were two projection rooms, and I was in the wrong one when, only seconds before the winner was revealed, the projector stops because of a massive platter-wrap. While straighting it out was a major job, the patrons (600 of em') were almost out of control. They did not want refunds, passes, or anything except the film, and they wanted it right now.

Tyler Skinner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-21-1999 07:09 PM      Profile for Tyler Skinner   Email Tyler Skinner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't blame them. Nothing is worse than watching a good movie and then being forced into not knowing the end.

Reminds me of the Music of The Heart Sneak preview a while ago. On of my evil- pseudo managers built it too fast and accidently put real 7 on backwards. The site of a bunch of kids on stage upsode down playing Violins backwards kinda made me chuckle but damn, did I ever feal sorry for the crowd of 300 who had no choise but hang around for 45 minutes and watch 6th sense or get pissed off and go home.

Erick Ojeda
Film Handler

- posted 11-21-1999 07:12 PM      Profile for Erick Ojeda   Email Erick Ojeda   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Johanna:

You pointed something out that I have thought about for a while. My booth is also carpeted, and we do get static problems every so often. What winds up happening is the film wrapping around the brain in either spiral fashion (have to cut and resplice the film while winding it back onto the platter) or the film just circles around the brian really tight (I free-wheel the platter, spin the platter backwards, make sure everything is working in good order, turn the projector on, and keep on spinning backwards until the film is back in good order. I put the platter back to its original state and put it on takeout) Now, I visited a few theaters in Florida with tile floored booths, and they told me that ever since they opened, they never had a brain wrap. My question to all is, are tile floored booths better than carpeted booth due to static problems?

Erick Ojeda

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 11-21-1999 10:12 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A quick-fix for reels on backwards (with platters) is to grasp the remaining 'ring' of film and turn it inside-out. Like twisting a fan belt so that the 'V' is on the outside. This won't work for every situation, (it wouldn't work for R1, but would for R7.)

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-21-1999 10:30 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
R5 of Night of the Comet.

It was on my antique Holmes. I threaded correctly, but the take-up clutch was frozen. Anyway, I had just gotten the monster running, and I did not notice the "singing sprocket" until over half of the reel had run. I went through it later and repaired the worst rips. It will run OK, but I got lucky and found R5 on the 'net and it was almost brand new.

I'm more careful with everything now.

Michael Cunningham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-21-1999 10:41 PM      Profile for Michael Cunningham   Email Michael Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Johanna,

What probably happened is the same thing described in the last post, namely, the ring of film got twisted inside out. This can happen on film drops and strange wrap situations. As for my worst treating of film, it would have to be "Braveheart".

I am diabetic and when I haven't eaten in a while I can get very spacey. At closing one evening I, for some unknown reason, decided that the print had to be moved. I then attempted to do it by myself with clamps. For those of you who remember this print, you know this is impossible!

Anyway, the whole thing came apart into about 25 rings of film, some twisted inside out. After grabbing a quick meal, I reassembled the entire print by cutting it into sequential sections and numbering them. By spinning a 2000 reel in the center of each loop, I was able to take up each section, reverse it on the rewind table and then load it back onto the platter piece by piece. It actually didn't look all that bad when next run, amazingly enough. I'm just glad this happened at closing as it took until 5AM to finish!!

Mike

Mike Bianchi
Film Handler

- posted 11-21-1999 10:48 PM      Profile for Mike Bianchi   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Bianchi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heartbreak Ridge

The final pad roller in the sound head (SH-1000) didn't close firmly onto the sproket. I was newly thrown into the Academy Drive-In in Mason, Ohio and had the typical crash course you've all described ("thread it and turn everything off at the end of the night").

I digress. It was a manager-operator DI and I was at the box-office doing check out. I returned to the booth to discover the film on the platter but oddly uneven looking and a huge pile of film on the floor by the projector - but only the sproket hole side.

When a splice went through, it jumped off the sprockets and they perforated the film between the sprocket holes.

Then, it tore away on the roller after the failsafe arms, so they didn't fall.

It was nearly two reels destroyed.

A tech was at the theatre the next day, he gave it all a once-over and spent the rest of the day showing me things to do and look for.

If only the company (National Amusements) had simply done that first...

George Roher
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-1999 11:11 PM      Profile for George Roher   Email George Roher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never personally caused a film to be wrecked. But I'd say the first major disaster I had that resulted in actual film damage was with the X-Files movie. It was a bad polyester print running on a poorly timed Autowind in a muggy booth, and I was in a different booth at the time. You can all imagine what happened.

Erika Hellgren
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-22-1999 02:54 AM      Profile for Erika Hellgren   Email Erika Hellgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dennis the Menace.

Beleive it or not, I wasn't even a projectionist at the time. I was working as a supervisor downstairs, and for some reason the booth guys went home early one Thursday night, and I had to move prints with another supervisor who claimed that she knew what she was doing. I had never moved a print before, and she assured me that all I had to do was hold the outside edge of the film (as opposed to holding your arms under the print and curling your fingers around the ring). This worked fine for a couple prints that we moved, but the first loose print that we attempted - Dennis the Menace - dribbled onto the floor. I was pretty freaked out. A manager helped us put it back together, but it took a few hours. Hard to believe I had the guts to ever work in a booth after that experience.

Oh, and about the static thing: I worked in a booth with carpet, and we NEVER had static problems. I now work in a booth with concrete floors (no tile or carpet), and we have a few static problems (quickly solved with FilmGuard). You can draw your own conclusions about that. <<shrug>>

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-22-1999 04:25 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first movie I ever wrecked was The Fugitive! My thread was just fine and dandy and everything was running great! I was an assistant manager at the time, so I was in the office doing all of that assistant manager crap when someone knocked on my door. They told me that "the film had melted and the movie had gone away 15 minutes ago"!!!! I had NEVER heard of a problem like this! I was told that film breaks, dropping the failsafes and setting off the alarm. I had seen this happen on a few other people's threads before this. I got up there to find the last 20 minutes or so of the movie hanging off of the platter (still spinning) and the projector still running chewing up the film still inside of it. It was if somebody from above sent me a huge sign saying "WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF POLYESTER FILM!" Another assistant went downstairs, refunded the show and told everybody how the movie ends. It took awhile to repair the film, and we lost quite a bit of footage. I'm sure that everybody behind this fantastic new style of film were all sitting warm and cozy at home, laughing it up "My my, what a tangled polyester mess we weave. Ha ha!"

Since then, the Gods have invaded the industry and every film in it with polyester film stock. The Gods were not interested in exhibition quality, oh no, they were interested only in the bottom line. The Gods are truly unwise.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: