Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 007...So, what did you think? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 007...So, what did you think?
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-21-1999 04:27 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What did you think of the new Bond? It opens here in Australia next week, although it is already screening at the new Fox Studios cinemas which opened a couple of weeks ago. Does Michael Apted do it justice? (Well, he's GOT to be better than Guy Hamilton.) But please remember, no spoilers.

|  IP: Logged

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 11-21-1999 08:36 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't like it. Plot holes, action sequences that are just too unlikly (even for a movie), etc.

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-1999 10:38 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mostly your typical Bond flick. I like the twist of who the bad guy is.

Our theatre has a display of the para-planes used and they have been flying in the area. They look cool. I thought it was funny though in the snow chase scene how these planes suddenly developed a belt track for moving through the snow.

I thought the print was awfully dirty or poorly processed.

Erika Hellgren
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-21-1999 04:46 PM      Profile for Erika Hellgren   Email Erika Hellgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's a Bond movie without plot holes?

I always enjoy seeing the Bond flicks, but I can never watch them more than once - once is plenty.

What I really enjoyed was the sound. I watched it in DTS-ES, and I thought the sound was perfect - not harsh, and yet it makes your pant legs shake.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-21-1999 07:21 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did everybody read the studio memo that came with Bond? It says very specifically that they want you to play it in DTS-ES if you can. If you don't have that, then DTS-EX. Then Dolby Digital EX. Then plain old DTS. Then plain old Dolby Digital. Then finally SDDS just before analog! Ha!

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-22-1999 01:25 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was born in 1962, the year Dr No came out. My mother and father were having an argument about what to name their new child (Me). My father wanted to name me after his side of the family, (Oscar, Murry, Woodruff or Alan). My mother's family wanted to name me after their side, (Giovanni, Stewart, Cecel). My mother settled the argument by naming me after Ian Flemming who wrote the Bond books.

I have always loved the bond series. My favorate actor is Sean Connery but my favorate film is For Your Eyes Only.

I thought this Bond film to be middle of the road. It is better than most of the Roger Moore films. But not as good as Live or let Die. I thought Sofie Marceu was fabulas. I thought that pop tart, Christmas Jones was a very poor joke. It's too bad she can't act. As for the holes in the plot, Bond films have always had holes in the plot so big you could drive a nuclier sub through them.

Your Truly,

Ian Stewart Woodruff Price

Chris Erwin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-23-1999 10:52 PM      Profile for Chris Erwin   Email Chris Erwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do I think of 007? I think it's making our Simplex look like a snowstorm. Does anyone else have the same problem on their prints? It hasn't done this but on 007.

--Chris

Michael Cunningham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-24-1999 08:17 AM      Profile for Michael Cunningham   Email Michael Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,

I haven't had much of a shedding problem with "The World is Not Enough" in my Simplex projectors (I assume that's what you mean by "snowstorm"). I have, however, noticed a very soft focus in one of the two prints. Items in the foreground keep drifting in and out of focus in different places on the screen (not the entire screen as if a lens problem were occuring). Is anyone else having problems like this?

-Mike

Joe Smith
Film Handler

- posted 11-24-1999 08:46 PM      Profile for Joe Smith   Email Joe Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw 007 tonight at a new Hoyt's 14-plex and my first thought about the film was it was out of focus too much. To me it was noticable immediately, but it drifted in and out of focus all the way through. At first I thought it was the screen quality or the angle I was viewing at, but I think it was the film. Also, this is the first time I went to a new Hoyt with the stadium seating. Very uncomfortable. You're forced to sit too close to the screen and most of the seats are too low for the screen height/width. I left with a sore neck. My other choice for 007 was an AMC house. After the experience of the Hoyt's stadium I'll go back to an AMC...

Chris Erwin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-24-1999 08:57 PM      Profile for Chris Erwin   Email Chris Erwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

I haven't noticed any focus problems, though I didn't screen the entire print (our manager did). Yep, by snowstorm, I'm talking about shedding. It isn't really bad, it looks like the film could use Head and Shoulders though!

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 11-24-1999 09:44 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'The World Is Not Enough' is the first print at one of our theatres to get the first ever FilmGuard treatment to

-Aaron

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-25-1999 04:51 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My other choice for 007 was an AMC house. After the experience of the Hoyt's stadium I'll go back to an AMC...

Hmmm... NOT a good advertisment for Hoyts, methinks.

Ed Johnson
Film Handler

- posted 11-27-1999 11:45 PM      Profile for Ed Johnson   Email Ed Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After working at one for some time, I was surprised at the complaint about Hoyts. Where was this theater? At the Hoyts 15-plex that I've worked at, the seating is one of our better features. While stadium seating has some drawbacks, I think it can be very effective if its well executed. I've certainly never heard the complaint that stadium seating was too low before. Often theaters are built where the top rows of the stadium seating are just below the projection port holes which is the opposite problem. Unless you sat in one of the very first rows (which are never good seats in any theater) I can't see how you would have this problem. Fill me in.

Joe Smith
Film Handler

- posted 11-28-1999 09:17 AM      Profile for Joe Smith   Email Joe Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The new Hoyts in question is in Manassas, Va. and is a 14-plex. It's been open about 4 months I think. The stadium seats themselves were very comfortable but the layout was bad (at least at this particular screen). My guess is that there were about 15 rows of seats in the theater and I was in about row 7. Had I been in row 15 I think it would have been fine (except for the out-of-focus problem). I got to the theater about 25 minutes early and even then all the seats in the rear rows were full. The regulars there must know the seating problem... This might have been the smallest theater in the house but it was a bad first experience at a Hoyts. Also, I stood in line at the concession stand for 15 minutes to get served. 14 screens (also playing Pokeman and I think opening day of Toy Story 2)and only 2 workers at the counter and 1 at the ticket booth. I saw one other employee running back and forth from one end of the plex to the other looking very confused. Must have been the overworked projectionist/usher/popcorn pusher/janitor covering all 14 screens.

AndrewBurnell
Film Handler

- posted 11-30-1999 06:43 AM      Profile for AndrewBurnell   Email AndrewBurnell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would appreciate it if you said nothing bad about Hoyts

We haven't had a single problem with our 007 and it sounds great.

Has anyone been to the new Hoyts at Fox Studios in Australia? 11 Cinemas all Cinemaxx's apparently!? Makes our Hoyts 6 plex look pretty lame!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: