Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » A Note to New Forum Members

Author Topic: A Note to New Forum Members
Christopher A Kerr
Film Handler

- posted 11-20-1999 10:09 PM      Profile for Christopher A Kerr   Email Christopher A Kerr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was first hired as a projectionst / manager, my training consisted of about 1 hour's instruction on how to thread a projector (incorrectly, I might add) and a list of things to do during the evening. Being an overly conifident guy by nature anyways, I thought "Hey, this is easy". My opinion rapidly changed when things started to go VERY wrong very quickly. I suddenly found myself hating my job.

Then, one slow night between shows, I was surfing the net looking for cool pictures of projection stuff to keep me interested and I stumbled accross FILM-TECH.com. I was at first only interested in the projection picture warehouse, but I accidently clicked on the film handler's forum link instead. Before I had time to hit my back button, I saw three topics that related to problems I was having and decided to read further. That was 4 months ago and I haven't looked back(or gone a day without reading everything new on the forum).

This forum has been an invaluable resource for me to do my job. If I have a problem, before having a tech come and charge me for a service call, I ask around here to see if I can fix the problem myself. Some of the most knowledgeable people in the industry are active members here and usually within 24 hours my problems are solved with their help.

In addition to being an on-line tech service, the forum has proven to be the most invaluable training manual I've seen yet. Tips on everything from splicing to lens care to sound equipment maintainance are at your fingertips whenever you need them as well as information on all the latest technological developments from people who actually use the equipment.

Without this forum's wealth of good advice, I would still be treating my film like crap, if I hadn't quit all-together out of frustration.

My thanks to Brad Miller and all the other members of this forum for making me proud to do a job I love.

|  IP: Logged

Chris Erwin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-20-1999 10:38 PM      Profile for Chris Erwin   Email Chris Erwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From one Chris to another....

Here! Here!

I couldn't agree more. Thanks everyone.

--Chris

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 11-20-1999 11:58 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the internet is a good thing, and (for projectionists) this forum is a Great Thing.

I started projecting in 1977, and there was no one to show me right from wrong, good from bad. You would not belive the stupid things (tech) people told me, insisting they were right. And there was no way you could verify their statement or way of doing things, so you thought; well, that's the way it's done.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-21-1999 01:34 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(from another post)Yes, the internet is a good thing, and (for projectionists) this forum is a Great Thing.

But if you're on the forum at work, don't forget that cinema 4 finished 5 minutes ago and needs re-threading.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: