Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 70mm repertory movie series (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: 70mm repertory movie series
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-20-1999 05:40 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
For those of you in the Dallas area, the Granada Prestonwood is starting a 70mm repertory midnight series this week!

Their first print is "Top Gun" and I believe they are working on getting such great titles as "Aliens", "Titanic", "Die Hard", "Raiders of the Lost Ark", "Pink Floyd's The Wall", etc. If you're in the area, check it out! It just could be one of the last opportunities to see these films presented in 70mm.

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-20-1999 05:53 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you get there, let us know the condition of the prints. Raiders should be turning by now. It just missed out on LPP (damn!) Pink Floyd always sounded great, but the image was very soft in the 70's of it I have run.

PS, Did you know it's now called "Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark" on DVD?

No, I am not kidding.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-20-1999 03:16 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey several of those titles are "split surround"....any chance of them playing them back with stereo surrounds? ;-)

Steve

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-20-1999 04:31 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please post the print numbers and condition as we may be interested in useing those prints insdead of some of the canadian ones

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-20-1999 04:56 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
No Steve! We chatted about this!

The theater has a CP65 which isn't magnetic split surround friendly. The sad part about it all is, the theater USED to have a CP200 with Aux rack!!!

Oh well, it's still 70mm!

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-21-1999 02:32 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are these the same guys that are running the foreign print of 'Tomorrow Never Dies'and 'Godzilla'?

Do you think they'll run 'Far and Away'? (AKA...'The Further Away The Better')

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-21-1999 02:49 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. They wouldn't stoop to that level to run Godzilla regardless of the format. What a horrible film!

According to Universal, all of the Far and Away 70mm prints have been junked..."but there's 35mm prints available!"

Yeah, that's just great. Go to all of the expense of shooting a film in large format and then just junk them! I wonder if Ron Howard saved a 70mm print?

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-21-1999 03:29 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a pity they chose Far and Away to go with the 70mm again. If it had been a halfway decent movie, maybe 70mm would still have a heartbeat today. Did you get to see the cheesy 70mm trailer for that film? Sheesh!

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-29-1999 01:28 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Brad...

How did the festival go? Any word?

Does anyone know of any whereabouts of a 70mm print of BARAKA? I mean, apart from the one currently in Australia.

------------------
John

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-29-1999 01:45 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Everything went smoothly (of course) and there's plenty more to come.

What's Baraka???

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-29-1999 02:09 AM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, I'm not sure what Barraka was about but I remeber it ran in 70mm at the Cine, sortly after True Lies came out...

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-29-1999 02:29 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Baraka is a dialogue-free documentary directed by Ron Fricke who was the d.o.p. on Koyaanisqatsi and Powaqqatsi. It was shot on 65mm in 1991 and released in 70mm mag split surrounds on a couple of prints. It's been running at the theater I used to be chief in every other Wednesday night for the past 7 years (I think it's seven)

The images are SPECTACULAR.

...and the complete absence of Philip Glass's music is another added bonus.

What else are they going to run?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-29-1999 11:06 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a 70mm print in Toronto
I believe it Alliance Atlantis that is releaseing it

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-29-1999 12:24 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another 70mm print that they should thinkabout is Backdraft
We ran it a few years ago at Cinesphere.
Another title there is a 70mm print od in Toronto in Pink Flyod the Wall and it has great sound and a audience following

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-29-1999 02:51 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Please define "a few years ago". I checked on Backdraft 2 years ago and Universal claimed they had destroyed all 70mm prints. Their only existing 35mm one was plagued with green and yellow lines.

Do you have a print number and storage location for that print of "The Wall"?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: