Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Thanks or No Thanks (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Thanks or No Thanks
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-20-1999 04:24 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of us have had the feeling that no-one could care less about who's up in the projection room at some stage or another. One colleague called it the 'ass-end of the business', and a lot of times, I couldn't agree more.

We sit there toiling away in noisy dark rooms eating on the run, making the impossible possible a lot of the time.

But every now and then, something happens that changes that feeling of 'ah, who cares?'to 'yeah, I made it possible for all those people to have a good time'.

Years ago, Chuck Jones, the classic Warner Bros cartoon director and creator of Daffy Duck et. al, was at my theater. He brought with him his personal prints of such greats as 'Bully For Bugs', 'What's Opera Doc?'and 'Rabbit Seasoning'. All mint condition, gorgeous color and stunning image. Anyway, I was a big fan and was very much looking forward to meeting him. I missed out at the start of the show as I was very busy making up the show and running another screen at the same time.

The show went off perfectly. Curtains opening at exactly the right time, managed to get first audio on every cartoon, full house (750) Chuck off to one side in a spotlight commenting about how the cartoons were made, giving charming insights into those golden days during the breaks, then off we'd go again and 750 adults became kids again, cheering like the old days every time Bugs Bunny's face zoomed up in the middle of the Warner Bros logo.

Anyway, he left without me getting to meet him as I was again locked away in the booth.

I was really very upset. I kept thinking of the 'ass end of the business' statement and thinking just how true that was.

So there I am, breaking down all these great cartoons and thinking how much I hate this job, when in walked the General Manager of the company. He walked up, shook my hand and said "That was the best presentation I have ever seen in my entire life. I don't think I've ever enjoyed myself more at the movies. Thank you".

And so it's moments like those, folks. It's moments like those that keep me thinking I hope I can always do this. It may be a thankless job a lot of the time, but every now and then...

Yeah, I make it possible for all those people to have a good time.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-20-1999 05:27 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
WELL PUT! There's nothing like watching a huge crowd having a good time from all the extra time and effort put into a job when that extra work isn't required to be there.

Sometimes it can get dull and boring and quite frequently becomes the "thankless job" of the theatre, but that occasional "job well done" from a higher up and ESPECIALLY when that rare patron stops to give praise makes it all worth while.

It's ashamed you didn't get to meet Mr.Jones, though!

Tom Ferreira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-20-1999 08:13 AM      Profile for Tom Ferreira   Email Tom Ferreira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure it's a thankless job, but I would much rather stay anoynmous in the booth. As we all know, the only time attention is called to the projectionist is when something goes wrong. Last night, after the show of Pokemon, a little boy came up to me, all excited about the movie he had just seen, and how great it was, etc. That's what I consider a reward.
I hate to rub it in, but I would be extremely upset if Chuck Jones came to my theatre to give a presentation, and I didn't get to at least shake the legend's hand.
It's times like that when the pressure is really on. Years ago, Stephen King came to our theatre for the opening night showing of Needful Things. In that situation, you want to make sure everything is just right.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-20-1999 09:12 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with everything posted here. In particular, the shows which I ran which were introduced by the writer or director were always the most fun and also the most un-nerving. About a year ago, I ran "LA Confidential" with an introduction by James Ellroy and last spring I ran "Gods and Monsters" with an introduction by Chris Bram...both of these shows were to sell-out crowds (500-seat theatre) and both were absolutely flawless presentations. I didn't get any personal compliments, but I did get a lot of satisfaction from knowing the the audiences obviously really enjoyed both films and the introductions.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 11-20-1999 10:45 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, really, it's a thankless job. If you do your job perfectly, no one notices. If something goes wrong, regardless, it's your fault. You are even blamed for power failures. You just have to like the job.

Also, while it's nice to have someone thank you, I feel that quality people who prove themselves (like at special screenings) should get 'more.' Usually that means more pay, but anything that makes your life easier qualifies.

That and that alone shows whether you are appreciated or not.

For example, I've gotten to the point where they just won't give me any more money. However, I'm the only projectionist that is allowed to fill out and approve my own purchase orders. To me, that's a good trade-off.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-20-1999 03:03 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In some ways, it has been nice at the Uptown (in DC)...

For the Lawrence of Arabia restoration screenings...the booth was graced by Sir David Lean and Omar Sharif who both gave their appreciation for the performance (as did F.A. Young at the reception that followed),

Ronny Howard (and family) came to the booth for BACKDRAFT and gave us some dialogue on FAR AND AWAY being in 70MM)

For SPARTACUS...a bonanza, Gene Simmons took photos with the booth people and Robert Lawrence (the negative cutter for Stanley Kubrick) stayed in the booth for the whole show pointing out little tid-bits about how the film was made (of couse, he was always talking about the studio reels rather than release print reels so one had to mentally divide by 2 to reference what reel he was talking about).

And it is always a pleasure to have Bob Harris in the booth for any of his restorations too.

Steve

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-20-1999 03:37 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing beats having John Tesh walk through your booth to look at your video equipment...I mean NOTHING!!!!!!! -- Just kidding, of course!

Actually at the theatre I am at now, our general manager appreciates and loves the booth staff. She will occasionally fire up a memo saying how much she appreciates us. My ass is kissed on an almost daily basis, and of course I love it! She has worked with enough bad and average booth staffs to realize what she has. So in turn we do a great job for her. What goes around comes around, that's why we put on the best presentation in the state.

Chris Erwin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-20-1999 07:28 PM      Profile for Chris Erwin   Email Chris Erwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran a special show at our theater in which I brought in my own 16mm equipment, and ran several reels of shorts, breaking for comment in between from the presenter. The show went off without a hitch and the sponsors personally thanked me. In my book that was enough,just a simple thank you,but they took it a step further. They came to the theater and handed me a package,thanking me again. Inside was a video tape with the event highlights, copies of e-mail messages to the sponsors commenting about the show (all good,of course ) and a personal thank you card,which thanked me for my help and expertise. I was floored. I was really proud to be called a projectionist. (and to have people notice my work was a plus) The truth is, I always try to put on a flawless show. Like someone else earlier said,no one hardly notices when things go right. To me,it's self-satisfaction that keeps me going,knowing I can put on a good show, and do.

--Chris

Scott Ribbens
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-20-1999 10:59 PM      Profile for Scott Ribbens   Email Scott Ribbens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is something to be said for not being noticed. When you have a problem with the equipment and get it fixed, and the patrons, the managment and the floor staff have no hint that there was ever a problem. And you walk out of the theatre at the end of a rather hectic day, and the floor operation never was effected. It's kind of like having a little secret that only you know about, and nobody else. there is a certian satisfaction in that.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 11-21-1999 12:44 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or having Francis Coppola tour your booth before a special screening of 'Virgin Suicides'(directed by his daughter Sofia) and then shaking your hand and raving about the presentation quality afterwards... Thats definitely stiffy-inducing heheheheh

Aaron

George Roher
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-1999 01:38 AM      Profile for George Roher   Email George Roher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have enjoyed running shows with directors and actors in attendance to chat with the audience (mostly small independent features). That could sometimes be unnerving. I also enjoyed running screenings for the local chapter of the Directer's Guild, but that always bordered on "thankless". One of the few times I've ever actually been thanked was when I ran a private prerelease screening of "Solo" for Mario Van Peebles and his family. He's a real nice guy and is very down to earth.

It's starting to seem like the only people who aren't completely oblivious to our existence or the importance of what we do are other operators.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-21-1999 02:04 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Francis Coppola? Wow! That's a biggie. (No pun intended).

I'm not sure old Chuck could have made it up the stairs, anyway. (sigh)

Erick Ojeda
Film Handler

- posted 11-21-1999 03:54 PM      Profile for Erick Ojeda   Email Erick Ojeda   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before I was hired as an assistant manager, the theater I work for had farily good presentations. We hardly ever had any complaints, but then again, we hardly ever had any praises either, but there were times when things went wrong, and there were a lot of complaints. When the time came that I moved up and took booth responsibilities, nobody really said anything about the presentations. (Note: Our clientel went down dramaticly due to the opening of Regal Cinemas across town) But one day, an older man was sitting in the front row watching the ending credits to Analyze This when I walked down the auditourium to check the cleanliness of the theater. He turned to me and asked me if we just got in new lenses? I looked at him and said no we didn't. Why do you ask? He said the picture on the screen is so clear. He said it has been a while since he has visited our theater because he has been going to Regal, but told me that even though this theater wasn't doing so good, that this place gave him one of the best presentations he has ever experienced. He said he enjoyed himself very much. We talked for a little while longer, I shook his hand, and thanked him very much. I felt so good to know that somebody noticed the work that goes into presenting a film. Every time I go up those stairs to start a film, I look out the port glass, view the people who have come to watch the movie, push the start button on the automation, make sure everything is running smoothly before walking away, and smile every time I do it because I want every one in that theater to experience that magical movie experience. Just looking at everyone walking out the theater when the film is over, let it be them crying, laughing, excited, etc, brings to me all the satisfaction and thank yous I will ever need.

Erick Ojeda

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-25-1999 04:56 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's always nice at the end of a show to have someone look up at you as they walk out and give you a wave or salute. At the Drive In, folks used to leave a tip on the junction box so we'd get it on the ramp tramp.

ahhhhh... the drive in....

------------------
John

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-25-1999 01:29 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding the "tip jars" that some theatres have at their concession stands--I always thought that they should have one labelled "projectionist"--that way, customers could show that they appreciated a quality film presentation with proper focus and seamless reel changes...alas, it will never happen...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: