Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Yuck, static!

Author Topic: Yuck, static!
Rob Brooks
Film Handler

- posted 11-19-1999 10:10 PM      Profile for Rob Brooks   Email Rob Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have an opinion on this problem?
I'm using an ultra-stereo processor with just one amp. There is no digital sound. I got some radio shack speakers on the side of the theater. Every time there is audio in the theater, static is mixed in. There is no noise when the speaking stops, so I figure the excitor is aligned correctly. I think the static is mainly from the front speaker. I checked the speaker and it's not torn. The wire connection looks normal. Any ideas where the static is coming from?

------------------
Rob

|  IP: Logged

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 11-19-1999 11:38 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you mean "speaker" or "speakers"

Two guesses:

Bad speaker diaphram- such that it only distorts (in this case sounds like static) only at certain frequencies. I had this happen once. Especially possible if there are seperate woofer and tweeter. Easily checked by swapping speakers...

(Not too likely, but) bad transistor in amp for the same reasons. "They" taught us in school that a transistor could fail like this, but I've never seen it.

Same if there's an active crossover, but I somehow don't think there's one installed.

Scott Ribbens
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-20-1999 04:02 AM      Profile for Scott Ribbens   Email Scott Ribbens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could you supply us with a little more information?

Do you have a booth monitor?, If you do, do you hear the static in the booth monitor too? Is the booth monitor hooked up such that you can switch between listening to the processor and the amp output?

Have you tried switching the channels between the surround and the center channel?

Is this an Ultra Stereo JS 5/95?

Have you tried, with the power off of course, pulling the cards and then plugging them back in?

The sound is just static, it dosen't cut out at all, does it?

Have you tried running some film in mono, or bypass, to see if it goes away?

Did this problem just start today, with a "new", at least to you, print?

Are you going into, or coming out of the amp with any 1/4" phono jacks, or RCA plugs? If so the connection could be corroded.

Does the problem seem volume, or frequency dependent?

Anything else odd about your system? (Hook up ect).

------------------

Scott

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-20-1999 05:32 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
There's some good ideas above, but a very simple one might be a dirty pot. Try turning the gain inputs on the amplifier in question up and down a bit (make SURE to mark where they are to be returned to after this test). If the static comes with a vengeance during the turn of the gain control, there is your problem. It is quite common with older amps.

If nothing in this thread helps, please give us the make and model of everything in the rack as well as speakers and specifically what channels the static is coming from. Someone here will be able to help you!

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-20-1999 10:24 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm betting on the "blown diaphragm" idea. If that turns out to be the problem, make sure that you find out what blew it before you install a replacement...otherwise, you might just blow another one if the amp is going bad. In the meantime, run the film in mono; good mono is much less offensive than bad stereo.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-20-1999 02:35 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try disconnecting the input of the amplifier from the processor and feed say a tape deck into the amp directly at a good high level
Listen for static if there it is either the amp of speaker. Try switching the speakers to opposite side of the amp
If it stays witht the speakers then that is where the fault lies if not it is with the amp

If it was not present feeding directly into the amp feed the tape deck into the nonsynce input and turn up the system and listen for the static
then unplug if there unplug one eq card at a time top see if it is the vvac fader or eq card

If it was not there it is either the NR card (not likly) the preamp or the cell and that test film and a scope would be required for

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: