Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Heads & Tails (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Heads & Tails
James Dunn
Film Handler

- posted 11-18-1999 06:06 PM      Profile for James Dunn   Email James Dunn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just trying to get a concensus here. The old "Teardown Etiquette" thread didn't spell it out clearly enough for me. What's the preferred method for re-attaching heads and tails. I know not to use masking tape. That's a given. lol But clear tape : ....one side, ....both sides, ? ? ?

|  IP: Logged

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-18-1999 07:29 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One side. That way, the next guy to use it can put tape on it and use it on a changeover, and the other can peel the tape and platter it.

I learned this valuable tid-bit here at Film-Tech!

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-18-1999 09:53 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did we ever reach a conclusion on shipping heads-out versus shipping tails-out?

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-19-1999 12:32 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
One side.

Put it on the base side, not the emulsion side, so that when it must be peeled off it doesn't take the emulsion with it.

Mike Bianchi
Film Handler

- posted 11-19-1999 09:25 AM      Profile for Mike Bianchi   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Bianchi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad you asked about heads up/tails up shipping - I'm interested in the other opinions here. Certainly there is not rhyme nor reason to the films we get in...

I was taught by and old-school union guy to always ship films out tails-up. That way, the next brother can inspect each reel as he loads it onto his house reels, leaving them heads-up for the show.

This applies to platters, too, if you load it onto 6000' ft. reels as you inspect it, (3-2-1) and load the first reel onto the platter while inspecting 6-5-4.

It seems a lot of undisciplined folks tear down straight off the platter, leaving the film heads-up (and, by the way, not taking off their cues, etc.).

Of course, I'm preaching to the choir here.

Other thoughts/theories?... ... ...

James Dunn
Film Handler

- posted 11-19-1999 12:13 PM      Profile for James Dunn   Email James Dunn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info on splicing. Now for my 2 cents worth on shipping... At our theatre we are instructed to build directly onto the platter. If we get reels in tails up, then we are forced to rewind them onto another reel to get to the head, then splice and wind up onto the platter. Drives me nuts. So I for one vote for heads up. I can easily see the point of view for the tails up for some of you, but not for me. Until we all start building movies the same way, it's always going to be backwards for somebody.

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-19-1999 12:18 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When it is 1:30 - 2:00 am and you have 5 prints to break down, you are not going to pull to 6K just so that you can go to tails out.

It just would take to much time!!

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-19-1999 03:49 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Espically when Technicolor wants the print 5 minutes after it drops...

Mike Bianchi
Film Handler

- posted 11-19-1999 05:06 PM      Profile for Mike Bianchi   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Bianchi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's certainly the "real world" way it is out there. Although I like the tails-out way myself, for inspection purposes.

Of course, stuck in the dark ages with EPRAD Simple-Swords, I can build up and tear down whichever way it comes and inspect in on the built-in make-up table.

I hate these things less and less, the more I use them.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-19-1999 05:33 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My rewind bench sits right next to my Autowind makeup table, so if a print comes in tails up, I just park the reel on the manual rewind spindle and wind onto 6Ks with the 6K reel on the Autowind table. It's faster, and my ancient power rewind bench is not working too well, anyway.

I don't know anyone who doesn't break down directly onto shipping reels -- except some of you on this forum. 90% of the films we get (usually about 3-5 weeks after the break) are already trashed by large-city idiots anyway, so I can't possibly harm them any further by going directly onto shipping reels. At least I tape down the film-ends with a NEW piece of tape before shipping them out!

Stephen Winner
Film Handler

- posted 11-19-1999 08:27 PM      Profile for Stephen Winner   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Winner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am kinda up in the air on this one. I perfer heads out if we get a film in for a special event, where we will only be playing it for 1 or 2 nights. We just simply play the movie right off the shipping reels, changing over every 20 minutes.

I like doing that because we can run the arc's at 6.5K instead of 4K because the carbons burn up faster at the higher wattage. When running 20min reels, this isn't a problem because we can change them out after 40 minutes. We've got to lower the wattage in order to make them last for an hour, like when we get a feature in that's going to stay with us a while, it's built up.

When we build up a print, Tails out is better though because like previously mentioned, it can be inspected as it goes onto the 6K reel. Most of the prints we recieve are heads out. This is good if we get a print in late, then it's just a matter of throwing it up on the projector, and running it!

So, I'm undecided on this case! It just ends up that the print is wound opposite to the way you'd like when you get it in! (kinda like the traffic lights always being out of sync in this town!)

Mark Tiedemann
Film Handler

- posted 11-20-1999 12:53 AM      Profile for Mark Tiedemann   Email Mark Tiedemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know this was covered in another thread, but what do you guys do about the cardboard shipping bands?
My tech bitched me out the otherday because I threw 1 away (it was ripped up, and I figured there was no point in putting it back on). Anyways, he told me that Technicolor charges $10 for each band that is missing. Has anyone else heard of this?

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 11-20-1999 01:43 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We throw the cardboard shipping bands away. They are as useful as a screen door on a submarine.
Been doing it for a long time, too. Never heard of any charge for not returning them. Hell, they don't say anything when the print is scratched, so I sure they don't care about bands.

And regarding those crappy reels Tech sends: From now on, when I break down a print and the reel is busted/cracked/etc., I wind that reel's film onto a core, then place the can with the broken reel out for them. I made a note (made 30 copies) that says; reel broke, blah, blah, would damage film so I didn't use it, but here it is, so you know I didn't steal it, etc. I don't mean to make life hard for the next guy, but someone (at Tech) has to get the message.

I got a 3-er shipping case the other day that looked way past retirement. Inside the cover was written; "Start 1975 off right! Vote for Lee Rosen for shop steward."

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-20-1999 05:36 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
If the cardboard bands are torn or have missing or tangled strings...into the trash they go! No question.

If they come in good condition, I save them and put them back onto the reels. It's typically about a 50/50 chance with Technicolor as to their condition.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-20-1999 06:21 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the point of the bands anyway? Are they only used in the USA or in other countries too? (We don't have them in Aussie Land, although as we get most prints from local labs direct in their boxes and on cores, the individual reels are not labeled at all, which can make it kinda annoying)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: