Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Eiki 600 ohm unbalanced output

Author Topic: Eiki 600 ohm unbalanced output
Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-13-1999 01:15 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Awhile back there was a blurb in a post that mentioned the 600 ohm unbalanced line out using the stereo 1/4" plug. I know how to wire the plug. Is the sound affected at all by the volume control?

I found that all my Eiki's have this! I had never known this in 20 years of Eiki use!

Whats the best way to balance the load for another amp? Also, the easiest.

My next show will have more power. I have always used the 25w amp in the projector. My speakers are Eiki orginals.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-13-1999 04:02 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott Norwood is the man who knew of that little hidden trick. Perhaps he can provide the forum with some detailed data.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-13-1999 10:12 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please Scott! I have a show coming up soon in our city auditorium (if the deal goes through) using my EX-2000 and 5000' reels. I will need better sound than the 25 watt stuff. We will be running a series of old library films. Sound exciting? I offered 2 machines for changeovers. No deal. They saved little money and I only run one xenon lamp!

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-13-1999 10:46 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce:
That was under the topic "16mm Sound Problem" dated Oct. 13, 1999.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-13-1999 11:36 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce--with most Eikis, you can plug a stereo 1/4" phone connector into the "speaker out" connector and take the output from (I think that I'm remembering this right...) the tip and the ring of the connector. This will be a standard line-level output that you can run though your favorite EQ box/mixer/whatever and amps.

Actually, 25 watts is plenty of power if you're using the right kind of speakers; you can get deafining levels at 25 watts if you use an Altec Voice of the Theatre horn system. I once measured the output of the dialogue channel to be about 1/4 watt of power for a 500-seat theatre.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-14-1999 08:09 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'S OK. I have two of the plugs wired and ready. Am looking forward to using a large TOA amp that we dont use very much at work. It will be hooked to a pair of EV speakers that have 15" woofers. Since it is in mono, I try to have the speakers up high on either side of the screen tilted down a bit so the best parts of the sound don't go over the patrons heads....

The city auditorium has a 25' tall screen. It will look good with the 1:33-1 picture that my xenon can produce. When I was a kid, they played movies there all the time. Back then, they had an old Ampro arc unit. It is long gone. Maybe my Eiki wont develop a taste for old film during the show.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 07-04-2012 12:07 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 4615 days since the last post.

Simon Killalea
Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2012 12:07 AM      Profile for Simon Killalea   Email Simon Killalea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hello Bruce and Scott - sorry to dig up a thirteen year old thread and stretch yr memories but.... I've got an eiki EX2000A that I'm trying to get a line level audio out from. The "hidden line out" sounds very interesting.
I am guessing I take a +ve from the tip and -ve from the ring for an unbalanced mono output? Or am I reading this wrong?
I'll have a play with it when I get some free time in the garage again - but any advice in the meantime would be greatly appreciated.

By the way Bruce, how did the setup go? & are you still using this system?
thanks again
sk

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2012 01:52 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simon: I have a 3500ex and do use the line out feature--don't know if the 2000 has it, but it's the tip of the jack and one of the two barrel tabs from a stereo 1/4" jack. I can't remember which one and am on vacation away from home, but try them both and if your machine has it you'll figure it out quickly enough. I feed mine through a subharmonic synthesizer and an equalizer before it goes into a QSC 900 watt amp, and I ended up with a hum, so I use a Radio Shack car audio $20 device to eliminate the ground loop hum successfully. I know that's fairly sketchy, but if you've fooled around with audio you'll figure it out in 5 minutes. FWIW, it is governed by the volume and tone controls, so it's not really what I would expect from a line out connection. Best of luck.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2012 07:39 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Old topic. I actually remember what happened!!

The films arrived with 'INSPECTED' stickers on them. I rewound everything onto the big reels and ran the show. They may have inspected them, but they sure didnt do repairs. There were lots of pulled sprockets, and the Eiki loop setter worked flawlessly.

The Eiki line out is not controlled by the volume control. Using a stereo 1/4" plug, using the tip and 2nd ring, it ran into an old Kustom amp. Plenty of volume for everyone. It looked really good. The audience was happy.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2012 10:30 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe there's something odd on my projectors, but on both of my SSL's and both EX-3500's the volumn and tone controls affect the 600 ohm connection. I always found it unfortunate, but there it is.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2012 05:58 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff you are right. We had the Eiki's volume set at around half and the treble and bass set flat. This was pointed out to me by my friend that was there helping with the setup.

I tried to edit my previous post, but this site hates me and I couldn't do anything but follow up with this.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: