Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Fixing Pro 35 Projectors

Author Topic: Fixing Pro 35 Projectors
Charles Lubner
Film Handler

- posted 11-11-1999 08:44 AM      Profile for Charles Lubner   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Lubner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm good at adjusting/repairing Simplex XL's, but the theatre I work at now has all Pro 35's. One projector has a bouncing problem. When it's running, I can see the intermittent moving back and forth, in a vibrating motion. How can I adjust this to stop the bouncing? Or do I need to call a tech?

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-11-1999 09:37 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Framing coupler is shot!!

Also check outboard intermittent bearing adjustment.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-11-1999 12:19 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
See my post #27 in "How do you run those platter things anyway?!?"

The Ballentyne Pro35 has a bad rep in the industry because things on it wear out too quickly. The gate and trap are made of plastic and get grooved quickly by the film. So your problem may be worn out film path parts.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-11-1999 06:07 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All the pro35's in Canada (not the 70mm version) have all steel gate and trap parts and other than leaking oil they give really very little trouble considering they are almost all in grind houses.

Scott Ribbens
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-11-1999 06:56 PM      Profile for Scott Ribbens   Email Scott Ribbens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. It sounds like the intermittent coupler is bad. Does it sound louder than the others? Is the framing sliping? Is the intermittent,(if you feel the end), clunking?

AHHHH, how I LOVE to change those couplers!

You also might want to put a little more tension on the gate with the scew, and see if it helps for a little while.

------------------

Scott

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-11-1999 11:32 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually the best thing to do with a Ballantyne is to replace it completely with another brand of projector.

Charles Lubner
Film Handler

- posted 11-11-1999 11:57 PM      Profile for Charles Lubner   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Lubner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it is louder than the others. I've tried adjusting the gate tension and it doesn't help. I can literally see the intermittent vibrating back and forth while it's spinning. Of the 6 Pro 35's we have, 5 have broken changeovers, 2 go through couplings like toilet paper, and 2 leak oil. The Century JJ 35/70 we have runs GREAT, and the Brenkert we have runs....like a Brenkert.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-12-1999 12:21 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stick with the Brenkerts---they run forever and are built like a tank.

Your BOWELantynes are probably leaking oil out the shutter shaft.

What are the changeover problems?

Scott Ribbens
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-12-1999 02:01 AM      Profile for Scott Ribbens   Email Scott Ribbens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As stated above, check the outboadr intermittent bearing. When you say that you can see it moving, I assume that you mean that it is moving back and forth (inboard/outboard). Just remember not to over tighten it, no pliers - just finger tight, some people make that mistake.

Art Averett
Film Handler

- posted 11-12-1999 05:46 PM      Profile for Art Averett   Email Art Averett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have to be careful on the outboard bearing. The adjustment is held in place with a set screw. Back off the set screw and with the projector not running, adjust the outboard bearing finger tight. With the projector free running, again adjust the outboard bearing until the intermittant stops moving in and out. Do this very slowly. When it stops moving in and out, then stop adjusting and tighten the set screw.

Scott Shepard
Film Handler

- posted 11-13-1999 02:07 AM      Profile for Scott Shepard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The picture bounce is 99 percent the intermittent coupler going bad. It would be a pain for you to change on your own if you have not done it before. Believe me, it takes changing a few before you get it right. The washers and the bearings in the coupler housing need to be reinstalled precisely. The coupler fits in a certain way also in the housing. You have to be very careful removing the coupler housing or you could strip the grooves and then your framing will slip. The outboard bearing should also be replaced at the same time. When the bearing goes bad it also contributes to the demise of the coupler. Trust me, it is a major pain to change them out. If I never change another coupler I will be happy.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: