Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » AMC "There is a Difference" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: AMC "There is a Difference"
Erick Ojeda
Film Handler

- posted 11-09-1999 08:50 PM      Profile for Erick Ojeda   Email Erick Ojeda   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I just recently signed up to the forum after reading some of the messages posted. I can't stop laughing after reading some of the comments made on AMC and their employees. I used to be one of them. I came up through the AMC chain, and let me tell you, they are totally crap. I started at age 16 as an usher, and was never trained in the booth until I reached management position. I work in a 4 house, and management takes care of booth operations. Well, my first night managing, I was dealt with a brain wrap. The last 15 minutes or so of Instinct, and the film spirals up on the brain and beyond. I have never seen a brain wrap until this moment. Remember, I was just trained. lol.... I was scared to death. I knew I wasn't going to have the show up and running quickly, so after finally being able to get myself away from that frightening sight, I gave out passes to our patrons, and went upstairs to start with that dreadful adventure. Some people understood and some didn't. I am 20 years old, and not that experienced in the booth, but am doing a lot of reading on the subject on my own, and spending a lot of time in the booth. A new company took over the AMC buidling, after Regal kicked our butts because AMC never updated our facilities, and our buyer booked us with Regal's left overs. Man, those prints were torn up. I know you guys are probably saying to yourselves, "yeah, and I bet they were even worse when they left AMC." LOL.... I've learned a lot in a short period of time and I can honestly say, I believe I take good care of the film. The actual prints we did wind up getting first run stayed in good condition, unlike major scratches and scenes missing from our cross town coutnerpart. Now, I am currently working with Grandslam Cinemas, a new subrun theater chain as an assistant manager. We still run with AMC's old equipment in the booth, but our boxoffice is now finally automated. We run Simplex XL projector heads, with Strong Lamphouses, analog sound. The theater is under renovations, but our sister theater in Quakertown P.A. should be opening by December 1st. Believe me, I have plenty of stories you would die laughing about when it comes to AMC, but I'll save them for a day we all need a laugh.

|  IP: Logged

Carl Welles
Film Handler

- posted 11-09-1999 09:21 PM      Profile for Carl Welles   Email Carl Welles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why wait? Let's hear them.

Granted at AMC "there is a difference", but their new slogan hits right in the bullseye, "changing the way people see movies".

Erick Ojeda
Film Handler

- posted 11-09-1999 10:19 PM      Profile for Erick Ojeda   Email Erick Ojeda   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man, where do I start with the stories? Well, for starters, the general manager I workered for is a junk collector. The projection booth was literally crowded with pieces of wood, old television parts, and who knows what else. It was a shame because every time the NCN slide man came to our theater, he and the GM would get at it with each other. The NCN guy would be sick to his stomach to actually go up to the booth. Lets just say, I was sick to go up to the booth. Now, the booth looks a lot different, I spent two days cleaning up that booth after the GM left.

Erick Ojeda
Film Handler

- posted 11-09-1999 10:25 PM      Profile for Erick Ojeda   Email Erick Ojeda   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yes, here is another one. A friend of mine used to manage for AMC, and he was telling me about one time he was working and he noticed a lot of people walking out of the auditourium after watching 007 Tomorrow Never Dies, and they were saying how confusing the movie was. They didn't get the ending and that the movie had a big twist in the middle. Well, the manager went up to the booth later on after closing and somehow noticed after looking at the print that the reels were mix-matched. The projectionist went from reel 3 to reel 6, than 4, 5.

George Roher
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-09-1999 10:43 PM      Profile for George Roher   Email George Roher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The projectionist went from reel 3 to reel 6, than 4, 5."...

That would definitely be "Changing the way people see movies." Actually I think their slogan should be, "Sending you home with a pass and a headache."

Tim Spencer
Film Handler

- posted 11-09-1999 11:16 PM      Profile for Tim Spencer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious if there is a nationwide tracking system for theater chains to see which chain on average hands out the most passes per screen. Does this exist and how far in the lead would AMC be?

Erick Ojeda
Film Handler

- posted 11-09-1999 11:25 PM      Profile for Erick Ojeda   Email Erick Ojeda   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can probably put it best by saying if theaters were chosen on how many passes were handed out, AMC would be the exhibitor hands down.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-10-1999 03:18 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your stories don't say much for Regal, either. If the prints are already crap when you get them, then they have a long ways to go. Of couse, Regal will probably always have a long way to go. They didn't build their 'empire' like many other companies did by learning as they go. They just bought all of the crappy houses they could, so they could say they are the biggest. Carmike did this awhile back so they could say they were bigger than UA.

Michael Cunningham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-10-1999 04:42 AM      Profile for Michael Cunningham   Email Michael Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Joe, at least one of the companies Regal bought up (we sometimes refer to them as the 'Borg') had a "decent" projection reputation. I originally worked for Act III which was the first company to test and install Dolby Digital and has always paid a fair amount of attention to improvements in theatre technology and film handling. I don't mean that I am offended by your earlier statement, just pointing out that even within these huge corporations you can find caring operators.

Mike

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-10-1999 05:06 AM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to refer to Hollywood as the borg.. After the Hollywood GM who took over the theatre I was at said "your attempts to resist my changes are futile"...

This was the same manager who said, direct quote, "customers don't care about the presentation, as long as the concession lines are short and they have cupholders."

After 6 weeks, I couldn't take the lunacy anymore and quit... Friday night.. 7:00... Along with the entire booth staff...

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-10-1999 07:42 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm at a loss to understand how it is possible to get the reels in the wrong order when splicing them onto a platter. Do these people not know how to count (or read)? The only possible justification for doing something this stupid would be if the print arrived without heads or tails or any sort of markings to indicate which reel was which, but that's (fortunately) a fairly rare occurrence. I usually ran 6000' reels and never mixed up the order of the reels (and never pre-viewed anything, either, due to lack of time); with 2000' reels, I always marked the leaders with a large piece of painter's tape with the title, reel number, picture format, and sound format written on it; the writing was so big that even a blind projectionist wouldn't mix up the reels.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 11-10-1999 09:52 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"I'm at a loss to understand how it is possible to get the reels in the wrong order when splicing them onto a platter."

Actually, I was thinking the same thing. I've been in a hurry, and spliced reels out of frame, but never in the wrong order.

It takes me about 40min to make up a 6 reel show; another 20min if I have to add snipes, trailers, etc. (Our 'standard' show is: exit; (3) 30sec ads; (3) trailers; policy snipe; "Be courteous" snipe; "Our feature presentation; snipe;" "THX" snipe.
Am I too slow?

Erick Ojeda
Film Handler

- posted 11-10-1999 12:42 PM      Profile for Erick Ojeda   Email Erick Ojeda   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not understand myself how the projectionist could have gotten the reels mixed up. It just goes to show that some places have careless people up in the booth and the main target area that suffers because of the mix up is the audience. I can't stand seeing dirt, scratches, etc. let alone watching a movie that is in the wrong order.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-10-1999 04:40 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We just got an EX-AMC employee in our booth at TT17. Appearently, working at AMC is 'party time', or something. This guy worked in the booth for a year and he can barely thread.

Just a question?--- Does AMC use special projectors or something? I had him splice up a trailer pack for me and I dropped it in. Well, EVERY damn splice was out of frame! All cut one sprocket short. That's why I ask. I wonder if they use a special 3-perf format or something!

Erick Ojeda
Film Handler

- posted 11-10-1999 05:41 PM      Profile for Erick Ojeda   Email Erick Ojeda   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The AMC I worked for used Simplex XL projectors, well atleast I still use those same projectors under Grandslam Cinemas who bought out AMC Vineland 4. I visited AMC Oakview 14 in Orlando, and they used Christie projectors. I also visited the AMC Highland Lake 12, which used to be a Cinemark and was bought out in the Orlando, Fl area, and they use Cinemanicca projectors. The bad splicing you are encountering with the new employee is due to the slack in training. I personally had to learn a lot on my own. I'll be honest with you, when I was first tought how to thread, I was specifically told to throw the leader on the floor after getting enough slack to thread through the gates. Then pick the leader up, and walk the leader to the platter, and finish threading. As you know, that is a no no because dirt will get on the mylar leader, which will then hit the trailers. I threaded like that for a while, until I was told differently by a projectinist outside of the AMC chain. It's this type of training, that gives AMC projectionist the rep they currently hold. The showmanship is not there. I know personlly because I was in their chain. I do have to say that there was one AMC that did have a good presentation, and that is the AMC Deptford 8. They weren't bad, but most AMCs are. It is in large part due to the bad training, and basically, the way a lot of managers run the operation. (not very good). I know I am not the best manager out there, but I do strive hard for true showmanship. I had to begin to aquire this type of knowledge out of the AMC chain.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: