Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » FilmGuard availability

Author Topic: FilmGuard availability
Masao Garcia
Film Handler

- posted 11-09-1999 01:42 AM      Profile for Masao Garcia   Email Masao Garcia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is FG still in testing in certain areas? I requisitioned some and after a looooooong wait, my requisition came back saying that FG was still being tested and that I couldn't get any. I work for Cinemark and I've heard from other Cinemarkers (outside California) who are using it. So what's the deal?

--MG

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-09-1999 01:55 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinemark is probably still considering it in "their" testing phase. It has officially been on the market for about 2 months now. We've been putting it through torture testing for 10 years now (in top notch theatres as well as real dumps to see how well it will hold up under ideal and "very less than ideal situations", and are 100% confident it performs exactly as described...just ask some of the guys on the forum who are using it, they'll tell ya. Once you use it, you'll toss that XeKote and everything else you've been using out the port window.

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-09-1999 10:40 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been testing FilmGuard and we are trying to convince Tom Hannegan (Director) that we need this product. It helps prevent shredding which 1. Keeps the print clean, especially the NCN ads with white backgrounds, 2. Reduces / eliminates the destruction of the Dolby Digital track due to gunk build up on the pressure bands, (I have been tracking this) and 3. when closing, you just open the gates and pad rollers, shutdown and you are done. No blowing, brushing or anything to clean up. It also makes the prints run much quieter.

I would recommend that if you want to use this, see if your GM will reimburse you personnally for buying it from petty cash.

Paul Konen
Usher - B
Cinemark Legacy 24
Plano, TX

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-09-1999 12:27 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being a collector, I am wary of putting just anything on my prints. FilmGuard is OK! Not only does it lubricate, and lift dirt from the prints, it fills base scratches and effectively hides them during projection!

I have a vinegar 1983 LPP feature that has had 4 coats of FilmGuard. The smell is gone! Will it stay gone? Naturally, I hope so, and I hope that the smell during pojection is gone, too.

I also have a 1969 print of Midnight Cowboy that is vinegar and warped. FG has not helped it, yet. If I notice any changes, I WILL post it here.

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-09-1999 04:56 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We wern't an approved test site either, but they, I guess, didn't notice when they sent us our first order, beause we got an email about it later, but they sent my second order, so I am happy.

John Schulien
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-23-1999 04:19 PM      Profile for John Schulien   Email John Schulien   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello. I have a couple of questions about FilmGuard.

I have a film on 1948 DuPont stock with early vinegar syndrome. The film still runs ok, but has a faint acetic acid smell. I tested the film with an A-D strip, and it turned dark green ... the first positive color. "monitor closely."

I'm considering applying FilmGuard to this print, for a couple of reasons.

First, I've read from a few places, including this thread, that FilmGuard will reduce the vinegar smell of affected prints.

I can see at least two possibilities. One is that FilmGuard is somehow retarding the decomposition. This would be good. The other is that instead of outgassing the acetic acid, the FilmGuard is holding it in liquid suspension. I would assume that this would be a bad thing.

Has anyone tested this theory, possibly by testing of the pH of FilmGuard that has been used on vinegar prints? What is the normal pH of FilmGuard? Is it an alkali? How would it be expected to react with acetic acid?

Second question. Let's say that I apply FilmGuard, and at some future point, something better comes along, and I want to remove it. Can FilmGuard be removed with ordinary film cleaners, such as ECCO 1500, or is it more or less a permanent choice?

Finally, I'm also attracted to this product because of the wet-gate aspect ... This film I'm hoping to save is in the public domain, and at some future time, I'd like to set aside enough money to make a reversal copy.
3200 feet of 16mm isn't cheap to copy, so it may be a while. I like the idea of keeping the print as clean as possible, because that will make for a better contact print.

so my last question is, is a FilmGuard protected film suitable for use in a contact printer? My main concern would be that the chemical, being wet, would rub off on the unexposed copy film, and interfere with developing.

Thanks for any info on these questions,
- John

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-23-1999 05:34 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

First answer: The use of FilmGuard definitely reduces the smell of vinegared prints. That is certain. What is not certain is if it is actually stopping, slowing down or reversing the vinegaring process. Enough testing simply has not been done. FilmGuard was engineered to be a film cleaner and lubricant. The whole vinegar protection thing was an accidental find. What I can tell you is none of the vinegared prints FilmGuard has been applied to thus far have developed the smell again and all run much better than before FilmGuard was applied in the first place. I'm assuming the extent of which FilmGuard will help is directly based upon the stage of vinegaring the print in question is in. Past that, again no specific testing has been done with vinegared prints. Please post your findings for others.

Second answer: Yes, FilmGuard can be removed with typical film cleaners such as Renovex and Ecco...or given enough time as it will evaporate, but it may take several months to a couple of years to evaporate completely.

Third answer: No one I am aware of has taken a FilmGuarded print and made contact prints from it. Perhaps if someone out there has done this, they will post their findings here. If you have access to a printing lab, maybe you could take a trailer and test that question.

Derek Maxwell
Film Handler

- posted 11-23-1999 06:07 PM      Profile for Derek Maxwell   Author's Homepage   Email Derek Maxwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where can you buy this Filmguard? How much does it run per gallon? I would like to try it out. Right now I am using Filmrenew and it works great on my wet gate and cleans the film well also. Is this on the same line as Filmguard?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-23-1999 11:25 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Visit the main page here www.film-tech.com and click on "FilmGuard". There is tons of info on the product and a list of dealers at the bottom. Pricing will vary depending on who you buy it through. A quart bottle lists for $39.95, but most dealers are selling it for $30-35. A quart is enough FilmGuard to run an 8 screen for an entire month, cleaning every print every show every day. Thus, it is hard to compare a "gallon" of Filmrenew or Eeco or Renovex to a "gallon" of FilmGuard, as a quart of FilmGuard will generally outlast a gallon of other cleaners.

In response to your specific question on Filmrenew, that and other film cleaners will clean and lubricate only to a point because it, like all other cleaners is designed to evaporate (although it works better than most others as it dries slower). FilmGuard is a non-evaporating cleaner/lubricant. Thus, your print will hold that initial wet gate look and will be lubricated much more than with any form of evaporating cleaner.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: