Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Help me with THX trailer dates.

Author Topic: Help me with THX trailer dates.
Mathias Andersson
Film Handler

- posted 11-08-1999 10:58 AM      Profile for Mathias Andersson   Email Mathias Andersson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I need information when the diffrent THX trailes were released in cinemas. I only need the year. My guesses are (probably incorrect):
- Broadway, 1983
- Cimarron, 1988
- Grand, 1994
- Simpsons, 1995
- Tex, 1997
- Tex 2 moo, 1998
- 2000, 1999

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-08-1999 12:31 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I do remember the Grand was released with Jurassic Park in 1993. As to the others, I'm not sure.

There was one called "Wings", that was basically an early version of the Broadway we all know and love today that was the first one. Also, you forgot the "Wayne's World THX" trailer, which came out the same year to promote Wayne's World 2. Finally, the Cimarron had 2 different audio tracks. The original one was VERY impressive, but apparently was blowing speakers so the THX guys remixed it to tone it down. Now the only one offered is the B mix, and it's not impressive at all...just loud.

Mathias Andersson
Film Handler

- posted 11-08-1999 04:55 PM      Profile for Mathias Andersson   Email Mathias Andersson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting!
I've never heard of those trailers. I beleive they are all defunct now, but it would sure be cool having them

Scott Ribbens
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-08-1999 07:09 PM      Profile for Scott Ribbens   Email Scott Ribbens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The THX titled Wings was the very first THX trailer for the first THX houses for the 1983 release of Return Of The Jedi.
The first Cimmeron trailer was released for Willow in 1988. The difference between the two of them is not only the actual audio, but the first one, and IMO the best of the two, is SR, the second one is Dolby A. If you see them played, you will note that there is a Spectral Recording logo on the bottom left corner, and no Dolby logo on the other.(that is assumeing that you are watching the 35mm versions) I can't recall if the SR logo is on the 70mm version.

Grand was released for the 1993 Jurassic Park. The other dates I'm not sure about.

------------------

Scott

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-08-1999 09:36 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, ALL of the Cimarron trailers were in SR. Only the mix was changed and the drop of the SR logo in the corner in regards to the 35mm prints. I believe you are correct in the 70mm world, though in regards to the Dolby A and SR prints.

The reason you remembered the SR version sounding better was because it was a completely different track (less the conductor's hand orchestra warm up). It was quite impressive and I wish THX would bring that one back, now that the new digital systems in theatres today can "handle" it.

By the way, the Wayne's World logo ended with Wayne pointing his guitar around the room as the sound followed. I've never gotten the impression of actual split surround from optical sound before that trailer and never since.

Mathias Andersson
Film Handler

- posted 11-09-1999 07:36 AM      Profile for Mathias Andersson   Email Mathias Andersson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So what we go here are:
- Wings, 1983
- Broadway, 1984?
- Cimarron v1, 1988
- Cimarron v2, 1989?
- Grand, 1993
- Wayne's World, 1993
- Simpsons, 1995?
(featured in the TV-series episode "Burns Heir" april 1994, but when was it released to cinemas?)
- Tex, 1997
- Tex 2 moo, 1998
- 2000, 1999

I am developing technical web pages for our cinmas's site. I am writing about the diffrent sound format and so on... and it would be cool to have a complete list of all THX trailers. Too bad I can't post them on the net. Anyone have pictures from the trailers?

Stefan Scholz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-10-1999 10:53 AM      Profile for Stefan Scholz   Author's Homepage   Email Stefan Scholz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was the "Wayne's World" really a THX trailer, I just remember it beeing an advertising giummick from the film company. The sound on thhe one I have is totally overmodulated, and one of the scxhool book examples how not to record optical sound..., but actually worked downstairs quite well.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-10-1999 01:16 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the Wayne's World 2 was really an approved THX trailer. The letter from Lucasfilm clearly stated it was to replace the current trailer running and was to go in the same place on the roll.

You're right about that overmodulation. I'd forgotten about it until your post reminded me of it. If memory serves, it was pretty bad...but that split surround effect was incredible.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: