Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » SDDS question

Author Topic: SDDS question
Stephen Jones 1
Film Handler

- posted 11-08-1999 06:19 AM      Profile for Stephen Jones 1   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Jones 1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have SDDS in two of my auditoriums and and have moved the DTS player from these theatres to put in my two big houses. I like DTS in the big ones. Now, the frame offset is different and the lips are out of sync with the picture. It's easy to fix on DTS. So, is there anyway I can change this myself or do I need to call a SDDS tech. If I do need to call a SDDS tech, where can I find out a number? The Booth guy before 'lost' the SDDS manuals (should have 'lost' the processor) and I don't have a phone number or anything.

Help.

|  IP: Logged

Scott Ribbens
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-08-1999 08:41 AM      Profile for Scott Ribbens   Email Scott Ribbens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would not help you even if you did have the manual, as it does not tell you anything about setting up the lip-sync or the eq.

The following is assumeing that you have the DFP-D2000. If you have a computer with the SDDS set up software, but then you probably would not be asking for help with this.

There is another way to do it, but as I am not sitting here in front of one I am not going to try to walk you through it by memory. You can contact SDDS on the web of course. You could try reaching one of the techs at (310) 559-4811 this is in Culver City, California.

Good luck!!!!!

------------------

Scott

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-08-1999 12:27 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You'll need a laptop computer, an RS232 cable and the SDDS setup software. This software used to be available for download off of Sony's site, but I don't think it is there anymore.

The problem with moving an SDDS unit is in most setups, the SDDS carries the equalization and level settings for that house. Simply moving it to another house will not only possibly alter the delay settings, but will guarantee the balancing between channels and eq will be destroyed. Without the equipment above and a real time analyzer, the only real place you're going to be able to use that thing is in the house it was originally set up for. You're going to have to call a tech to do it.

The SDDS software manual is available for download on this site and will give you an idea of how it all works.

Trevor Bailey
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-09-1999 06:10 AM      Profile for Trevor Bailey   Author's Homepage   Email Trevor Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is possible to set up the DFP-2000 with the internal LCD screen but I wouldn't recommend it. The laptop is the easiest way to go.
I believe Sony was selling some kind of memory system that would allow you to store several auditorium setups and download them into the DFP-2000 when moving it from one house to another.

Good luck.

Stephen Jones 1
Film Handler

- posted 11-10-1999 06:39 AM      Profile for Stephen Jones 1   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Jones 1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could you inform me as to how I can do it through the internal LCD screen, seeing as I do not have a laptop or SDDS software. I have looked at the LCD screen and would appreciate your info. Thanks

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-11-1999 06:55 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok what a can of worms this is....

Again this is for the 2000 series...

Flip open the front door (swings from right to left).

Press EDIT, F2 (Privilge), F1 (Master Delay)...use the arrow keys and shift keys as necessary.

I don't have a unit in front of me but my guess this would do the course adjustment (The fine "lip-sync" adjustment may be in there too). If not the fine adjustment is available at all times on the "automation" connector: Pin 34 increases, Pin 35 decreases...pin 14 and 15 are the common pins.

For the master delay to take effect, one of the dip switches on the DSP-61 board may have to be switched but you are really playing with fire on this one...flip the wrong switch could cause you to dump its memory.

Good luck and get a PC instead!

Steve

The course adjustment can only be done when the film is not running.

Scott Ribbens
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-11-1999 07:14 PM      Profile for Scott Ribbens   Email Scott Ribbens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes fine adjustment is in there. Now you know why I didn't go to the trouble of going through the LCD thing over the thread. As shipped from the factory, all of the switches are in the down position,I think, which gives you that message that the function is not functional or some such thing. One of the SDDS techs told me what all of switches are for, but that was about 3 years ago. And you are right, flip the wrong one and bye bye memory!

------------------

Scott

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: