Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 70mm Six-Track vs. Digital (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 70mm Six-Track vs. Digital
Scott Ribbens
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-06-1999 11:47 PM      Profile for Scott Ribbens   Email Scott Ribbens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember the days of the big 70mm shows. That signify something special. All of the 70mm films that I saw, and I saw a lot of them, never had the sound so loud that it hurt the ears. You could blast the volume, but you never had to complain about the level. As a matter of fact, I used to like loud movies.

The last 70mm that I ran was "True Lies", and I watched it in the Theatre, then I saw it again in 35mm DTS in the same house about a week later to compare. The DTS was much harsher than the 70mm SR sound, and we were playing the digital back about 6db under the level that we played the mag at.

IMHO, even though more care is needed to maintain the mag sound, it was much better than it's digital counterpart.

Would like know how others out there feel.

------------------

Scott

|  IP: Logged

Scott Shepard
Film Handler

- posted 11-07-1999 02:40 AM      Profile for Scott Shepard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott,
I really enjoyed the complete 70MM experience. I have always preferred the mag sound to digital. Digital seems very sterile and clean compared to the mag sound. Mag had more warmth and the picture was unbeatable.

Stefan Scholz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-07-1999 07:45 AM      Profile for Stefan Scholz   Author's Homepage   Email Stefan Scholz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're right,
70 mm mag sounds much better. Remember it's analog, uncompressed 20.000+ bit audio, with true discrete channels, which you compare to compressed, reduced, treated, processed, non- discrete 16 bit digital audio.
But 70 mm could sound worse, if the recording on film is not carefully monitored during recording.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-07-1999 08:48 AM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I much prefer mag sound. There was a warmth and richness to it that digital sound lacks. It may have been a form of distortion, but I liked it. Elsewhere on this forum, I described how much I liked Lawrence of Arabia in 70mm and 6-track Dolby mag. If I remember crrectly, the re-release was in SR and we had to get 4 SR cards for our CP-200.

The most direct comparison I had, between mag sound and Dolby digital was when I was working as the head projectionist for United Artists in Denver. We got one of the survey screenings of Francis Ford Coppola's Dracula. It tuned out to be the final audio mix and was finished in LA at 3:00AM and flown to Denver on a privet jet. They had a swarm of technicians to hook up the dubber unit and to do a new b-chain on our big house. I watched the run-through of the film and the sound was amazing. It was a 4-channel SR mag mix. The show was a success that evening with Francis Ford Coppola and a few of the actors in attendance.

Two weeks later we opened the film, with the Dolby Digital track, in the same house, with the same EQ the Dolby tech left. It wasn't as good. The sound was harsh and more shrill. Now granted the first time we had the mag master, but it did point up the difference between mag and digital.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-07-1999 10:22 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am a die hard mag man even double system mag. It sounds supeior to digital It has a warmer and more natural sound even some of the old Toddao mixs sound spectacular nowdays, The first reel of the sound of music when they pan Julie Andrews voice across all five screen channels is still impressive

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-07-1999 04:38 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
70mm 6 track mag sound (particularly SR) is the best the industry has ever heard (in my opinion). DTS and SRD are damn good systems, but will never compare to a well recorded and taken care of mag track. The comments above pretty much hit the nail right on the head.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-07-1999 06:54 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Digital can easilly match 70mm SR mag. Why it doesn't is beyond me. In my opinion they should just take a mag master that has all of your "richness and warmth" and record it onto digital, where it would be preserved. The digital should not add harshness (unless maybe you used SDDS). Blame the sound mixers. They go for loudness. They want to show off the frequency response. They couldn't do that with mag, but they would have if they could have and we would have heard the same complaints had that been the case. Add to the fact that most sound mixers are slowly going deaf and they keep mixing sound that sounds loud to THEM.

It's all in the mix.

David Johnson
Film Handler

- posted 11-30-1999 03:00 AM      Profile for David Johnson   Email David Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to agree that the mix the orchestration, and possible the orchestra are the main reasons for the sound quality on 70mm. It is often forgoten that it was only in the later years that 70mm had any subwoffers. Shows like "Sound of Music" were in most case screened using valve amps (That is another topic in it's self)and A4 speakers which do not have the best low frequency response, and most amps had only around 40 watts per channel. I am currently doing a 70mm install so it will be interesting to compare if I can find a print with a good track.
David

Frankie Angel
Film Handler

- posted 12-04-1999 11:54 AM      Profile for Frankie Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frankie Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heck, even 35mm 4 track mag can blow you out of the water, the sound is so rich. I think the harshness that you hear with the highly compressed formats (Dolby and especially SDDS) and to a much lesser extent DTS, is due to the very nature of the beast and the fact that some R&D guys at Dolby and Sony decided what part of the audio spectrum we don't need to hear and won't miss. Well, if enough people keep saying that they CAN tell the difference and it's not a GOOD difference, then maybe they need to rethink what we can and can't hear.

I once alternated between 35mm prints of 2001 with 4track and 2001 with SR optical and even though this was not 70mm, the stereo soundfield with the mag was so much more distinct and opened. And of course, that little auditory game Dolby plays with "matrixed" surround is a joke compaired to the discrete surround track on a mag print.

In defense of digital, I do think a lot of the problems we hear are that many of the theatre systems don't have the necessary headroom, be it in the amps or speakers, to keep loud passages clean and distortion free. And we all know that when D/A processors and transistor amps distort, even by the smallest margins, it is a VERY nasty sound, not like tube distortion. It also may be a psychological factor....the manager just installed an $8,000 digital reader and he wants it to be noticed. So he has the projectionst goose up the volume. They always used to do this with the surround channel in the early days of Dolby stereo. Hey....we just put up all those walls speakers, let's make sure we hear them. And then you would get all that dialogue and crappy out-of-phase crappy dirt noise bleading all over the theatre.

I went to an SMPTE chapter meeting when Dolby was demonstrating their then new digital system. They ran a reel of THE FUGITIVE in analog SR. It was the reel where the train crashes. The Dolby guy explained to us how the matrix does fine with sounds that are predominantly in one or two channels, but if it tries to reproduce distinct sounds equally in all 4 channels, it can't handle complex waveforms like that and the stereo image simply collapes to the middle of the theatre, practically becoming mono. With discrete systems, all the sounds stay in their locations (I am thinking, "yah, like MAG SOUND, dufus"). Then they put on the Dolby digital reel. Yeah, the sounds stayed in their respective locations, but the screaching of the metal as the train twisted in the crash was so loud and what seemed like double the high-end energy that we just heard in the SR version, that it actually was painful. I had to hold both my ears. THIS was what they were using as a demo to sell us on Dolby Digital?!!

I walked out telling everyone, "we need to go back to mag.....honest."

------------------
Frank Angel,
Brooklyn Center Cinema

www.BrooklynCenter.com

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-04-1999 03:19 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mag will not happen mainly for two reasons
1 The EPA the solvents used for striping are not permited
2 They must be recorded in reel time which makes them very ccostly, and a slow process that doesn't quit work with the normal neg to lab on monday
wend 2000 prints at the echanges

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 12-05-1999 04:41 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, sadly magnetic striping is dead. It's just too costly.

Worst, though, is that it seems DTS 70mm is dead also.

Consiter: 99% of people can't hear the difference between magnetic and digital. Studios are not going to pay the significant cost increase to make that 1% happy.

Also, I think that it is generally accepted that a properly run 35mm presentation is better than a properly run E-cinema presentation. Yet, studios have _already_ accepted E-cinema (they are just waiting for the price to go down, which it surely will.)

Result: No interest in improving quality- in fact studios are willing to accept a slight decrease if the saving are significant.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-05-1999 05:01 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This industry is noted for shooting itself in the foot when it comes to cost vs qualiity

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 01-09-2000 07:37 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have installed a DTS Bi-amp system with SMART amplification. When it was installed and EQ'd, I thought I was going to go deaf. The high end was so screetchy that glass could break. We were running "The Matrix". The midranges hummed and the low end was non existant. I myself have been mixing sound for 15 years and started toying with it. It sounds very good now but is not perfect yet. I have found that mixing it to an audio CD in the decoder first, using a CD that you are personally familiar with, you can find the right balance of sound to make it warm. Use headphones in the decoder output before mixing it to the amps. After you find it perfect, then re-mix it to the amps so that the presentation is just as you imagine it should be. It might help if you get familiar with your cinema processors equalization controls first. You can make DTS sound warm and fuzzy, you just need to spend a few days getting it perfect.

------------------
"If it's not worth doing, I have allready been there and done it"

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-10-2000 08:59 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>"We have installed a DTS Bi-amp system with SMART amplification. "<<

Just what WERE you expecting? ;-) Is it a DTS-6AD or a DTS-6D through, say, a SMART processor?

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 01-17-2000 07:34 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually it was purchased and installed six weeks before I ever set foot in the place. My expertise has been in concert and live theater amplification so I have had to do a little modification to my own techniques.

We have a DTS-6D with a SMART Mod-2C and five SMART TA2050 amps. It rocks for the most part but the speakers are not the best, or are the amps. Not what I would have chosen but you make do with what you have. So far the sound is pretty damn good but I think it needs a better speaker array.

So forget the amplification, what about speakers.. what would you all say would be the best to go with?

------------------
"If it's not worth doing, I have allready been there and done it"

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: