Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Theaters with "Cry Rooms"

Author Topic: Theaters with "Cry Rooms"
Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-05-1999 08:08 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only 2 theaters that I know of in my area have "Cry Rooms". The ELMA Theater in Elma, Washington has one with 10 seats, sink, trash can, dresser, electric outlets, electric baseboard heater, and monitor speaker.
The "G" Theater in Mossyrock, Washington has one that has been converted over the years from cry room to audio recording booth to it's current use as manager's office.
In both cases these cry rooms are located at the far right side of the balcony as you face the screen.

|  IP: Logged

Scott Ribbens
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-06-1999 01:20 AM      Profile for Scott Ribbens   Email Scott Ribbens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is only one Theatre that I know of in Southern California that has a cry room. This is the Ken Theatre in San Diego, no balcony, and the room is on the left side of the auditorium. It is still used for this purpose today. BTW, it is the only Theatre that I know of in Southern California that is running 2k changeovers with carbon arc!
Simplex Supers on SH-1000s with Peerless carbons and Ultra Stereo.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-06-1999 01:25 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like an excellent theater!

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 11-06-1999 03:55 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinema West's Sebastopol Cinemas (3 rooms), Sonoma Cinemas (3 rooms), and Tiburon Playhouse (2 rooms) have 'private viewing rooms' (read cryrooms) for people with infant children to not bother others.

Aaron

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-06-1999 10:52 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I used to go to college in Boston, there was a theatre on Newbury St., Just a ways down from the Boston Public Library. I think it used to be called the "Cheri" (Loewes ??)

On the right hand side of the auditorium, there was a 'wing' with about 5 - 10 rows of seats and maybe just a few across. It was behind a wall so that you were hidden from view of the people in the rest of the house.

We always used to go there and drink and stuff just becasue of that. I never thought that it might be a 'cry room'... I thought it was the f-- room.

Joe Odenthal
Film Handler

- posted 11-11-1999 11:43 AM      Profile for Joe Odenthal   Email Joe Odenthal   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Washington DC I remembet two.. The MacAuther, Norelco 35-70s and water cooled Strongs trippled then made into a CVS (drug store) The room was used for kids birthday parties mostly.. The Trans-Lux Motagraphs (barrel shutter) and Brinkert arcs 14 & H, was entered through the Office Building that housed the theatre, only use I saw was for operators friends.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-11-1999 11:34 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lately, some people think the Boxoffice is the "Cry Room" !!!

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-20-1999 05:44 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Omni Theater at the Museum of Science and History in Fort Worth, TX has a cry room. Seats 6 with a change area and dark red lights.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: