Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » The Great Big 70mm Film Festival

Author Topic: The Great Big 70mm Film Festival
Kenn Fong
Film Handler

- posted 11-02-1999 03:12 PM      Profile for Kenn Fong   Author's Homepage   Email Kenn Fong   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The American Cinematheque Presents "The Great Big 70mm Film Festival"

-- LOS ANGELES -- Presenting the biggest of the big in movies from Super Technirama 70 to Ultra Panavision to Dimension 150 and more, this fest delivers a "Barnum-esque world of spectacular sights and 6-track sounds."

Featuring films from 1955-1970 including: "Spartacus," "Around The World in 80 Days," "The Sound of Music," "2001-A Space Odyssey," "Lawrence of Arabia," and "Godzilla" -- when did you ever think you'd have the chance to see that film in 70mm? In the age of digital filmmaking and the "smaller is better" mentality this festival is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to see some of the greatest classics in American Filmmaking, don't miss it!

The Festival runs November 5-21. For a complete schedule visit their website http://americancinematheque.com/archive1999/70mmFestival1999.htm

[from Indiewire.com Daily]

------------------
Kenn Fong
http://qwertyuiop.net
Screenwriter's Home Page

|  IP: Logged

Lowell Peterson
Film Handler

- posted 11-02-1999 08:33 PM      Profile for Lowell Peterson   Email Lowell Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Won't most of these 70mm prints have very faded color?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-02-1999 08:54 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where are they getting the "80 Days" print? Is it the 24-fps version or the 30-fps Todd-AO version? There are only a few existing prints of the Todd-AO version, all of which are very faded.

Most of the others have been reprinted recently. "Lawrence" was reprinted within the last year, and again within the last two years before that. SofM was reprinted in the early '90s; a few prints were struck, although I heard that most (all?) of them had been trashed by the incompetent by now. Godzilla will obviously be a new print (probably DTS-70), and 2001 has been reprinted recently as well with mag stripes.

What's the deal with 2001, anyway? We tried to book it a year ago, but it was supposedly out of circulation until the reissue in 2001. Has this been changed? Can "normal" theatres book this title? Or is it only being shown here because it is part of a special engagement?

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 11-02-1999 10:31 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully, the prints won't be too bad. Other wise, a lot of people (who don't know what to look for) will simply walk away thinking, "70mm isn't that great.."

Stefan Scholz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-05-1999 04:48 PM      Profile for Stefan Scholz   Author's Homepage   Email Stefan Scholz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not all prints are totally faded, I know, the Norwegian film instutute has prints in good color, as I do. My print of 80 days is still stunning, with the 30 frames version. The mechanically new 24 frames print has even better color, but was probably printed later, and is unfortunately incomplete...
Of course it's all Eastman, and fading is unavoidable, but cool and dry northern Europe helps in keeping colors longer.
The most stunning color from the 50s is on my "The girl can't help", - gorgeous lifelike color by DeLuxe on 1957 Eastman stock, ... still 100% oK.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: