Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » converting a devry xd to 6000ft reels

Author Topic: converting a devry xd to 6000ft reels
john bishop
Film Handler

- posted 10-31-1999 04:39 PM      Profile for john bishop   Email john bishop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

has anyone here ever attempted to mount
6000 ft reel arms to a devry xd? i have
some ideas but was wondering if anyone
has actually seen it done. thanks
folks!! john

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-31-1999 05:19 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I've not worked with a DeVry, but ANYTHING is possible. Worst case senario, you could rig an outboard motor to the takeup arm and have a platter style reel to reel setup. I've also seen people put the supply reel on the gearbox side of the projector's base, feed the film up to the top of the projector and take up below, if room height is an issue.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-31-1999 08:44 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The bolt holes appear to be spaced farther apart than most American makes on the top magazine. A person could make an adapter plate out of 1/4" flat iron or aluminum plate stock to adapt say a Kelmar or Teco set of reel arms to the top of the projector. Something different would have to be done for the take up though. The XD actually uses the bottom magazine as it's base for the projector whereas the DeVry 12000 series projectors use a regular lower magazine. I suppose if someone was handy with sheet metal work, you could slice the very bottom of the magazine off and fabricate an "extended" magazine that would be tall enough for a 6000 foot reel or be able to fit a Kelmar takeup reel arm inside the box. I believe the drive motor on the DeVry's should be strong enough to run the projector and drive a large reel too.
You could also try and mount the projector on an old Eprad "Sword" system slim jim type of pedestal.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-30-1999 10:25 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a discussion on this at the 35mm Forum on History In A Can (www.historyinacan.com)

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-03-1999 11:37 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remeber once seeing a picture in an old International Projectionist that showed how to put large reels on the WE Universal Base. The mounted it back behind the vitaphone bracket and had a piece of wire duct with rollers guide the film back through a slot cut in the lower magazine. It was fully enclosed to meet the nitrate codes
Later I saw the same thing done to a pair of GK21 (on the big base) in London Ontario

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-05-1999 09:32 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Found out from the DeVry Brochure on film-center that DeVry DID make a set of 5000 foot magazines. Part number 12061 - 5000 foot capacity feed magazine and part number 12056 - 5000 foot capacity takeup magazine. They were available for factory or field installation.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-06-1999 12:41 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When did Devry quit manufacturing projectors and become part of Bell and Howell.
They made an interesting 16mm arc theatre machine that took 4000' reels and used the drunken screw movement.
They also made cameras as well
but I don't know much more about them
I still have a model 10 in rentals that is popular

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-07-1999 06:48 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What was the difference between the XD and the model 10

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-07-1999 11:14 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bell and Howell bought DeVry in approx. 1948. Somewhere around 1956, B&H sold the 35mm projector division to Paromel Electronics Corp (PEC) who continued to make the projectors I believe until 1962.
B&H continued to operate the DeVry Technical Institute/Bell and Howell Technical Schools.

The XD projector is the basic portable 35mm projector. The "10" series is the basic theater version of the XD. The "10" series came with a ZIPPER picture/sound changeover, cast iron pedestal, conventional 2000 foot magazines, arc lamp mounting table (lamphouse not included), conversion kit for the film gate (beefier casting made for heat absortion), scope lens holder for 4" lens mount, builtin DC exciter supply (in pedestal), 40 watt amplifier, Altec-Lansing 15" speaker and connecting cable. The next step up from "10" series was the "12000".
The "12000" series was DeVry's top-of-the-line units with the most powerful amplifiers DeVry made and were complete with Strong "Mogul" carbon arc lamphouses.
Both the "10" and "12000" were available with an optional magnetic penthouse and 4 channel sound system.
The DeVry amplifiers were relabeled Altec-Lansing units.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-08-1999 04:06 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The two 10's that I have are as you described except they don't have the 4" lens holder but have the standard 2 35/32" holder like a E7
The mag penthouse in the brouchere I saw at film centreis the Westrex R9
I often wondered why they never copied that design into a modern machine as they are extremely simple
We rent the pari for dailies ith ORCM1600's on the back

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: