Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Xenon with a Holmes?

Author Topic: Xenon with a Holmes?
Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-30-1999 08:03 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

My lamp supplier has informed me that they are not handling the DPW lamp after the current supplies are gone. DPW is a mogul pre-focus 1000w critter.

I have a quite dead Eiki EX-1510 xenon, and am thinking about installing the lamp assembly in my spare Holmes lamphouse.

The 1510 uses a 500 watt xenon.

Can I retrofit a 300 watter there? I have no 500w lamp here. I have 2 spare 300w lamps.

The 1510 power supply is in good condition.

The lamp is vertical inside the curved mirror. How far back from the film surface should I be with the lamp/mirror?

I could go the Halogen route, too, but I do like the blue-white illumination of the xenon.

Also, can I use the small blower that I use for the cooling of the current tungsten lamp for xenon?
My Eiki EX-2000 has a very small blower on it.

As usual, I consider everything that you folks come up with before I actually do anything. Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-31-1999 01:05 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce:
I hadn't heard of using the DPW in a Holmes.
You should be using DSB (1000w, 25 hrs) or DTJ (1500w, 25 hrs) or the best bet is DTA (1500w, 100 hrs, halogen). Also the exciter is a BXC.

Holmes made a pedestal base for your machines that mounted a standard carbon arc lamphouse so it would be easy to change to xenon with something like that.

The Holmes pedestal also mounted a standard set of film magazines with the takeup magazine under the projector instead of protruding out the front. That type of mounting would make it easy to put 6000 foot reel arms on your projector too!

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-31-1999 08:31 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken:

The DPW is the one I picked from the catalog that had the right filament location. As for the exciter, I still use the 12v lamp.

This Holmes has a table-top mount, with the take-up magazine sticking out the front. I have seen the pedistal version, but dont have any of the parts. The "mazda" lamphouse is perched on the back of the projector and is held in place by 3 screws. I hope to install the xenon lamp there and use the original condenser lens to bend the light as it goes to the film.

When I got the DPW lamp, I bought 3 at once. I still have 2 spares. Have run all the 35 that I have at least once and the lamp is still fine. If I cant do the xenon route, I will look into the lamp types that you mentioned.

For now, 1000w is just OK for the 14' throw that I have. I do want to run the machine in a larger location someday.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: