Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Do you collect films or what and why? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Do you collect films or what and why?
Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 10-29-1999 06:26 PM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I started managing a theatre in a small new resort town, Telluride, CO, in 1972. It had been a mining town for 100 years and since hard-rock mining was dead, it was time for something else for the town to do to continue to exist.

My boss renovated a "quaint" 250 seat horseshoe-balcony theatre and put in a Brenkert BX-60 booth with ORC-1000s for light. For self-defense I learned to run the booth since I quickly found I was not only the staff therapist, but had to deal with projectionists' broken legs, alcohol overdoses and lapses of memory and reason. I found I liked handling the acetate.

Then, in 1980, a friend offered me a print of "The Wanderers" for $150. Little did I know that that one "toke" would lead me to a lifelong addiction, an empty wallet and strange looks from people who knew of my problem.

Do you collect movies? How about equipment? Or what do you collect and why?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-29-1999 07:23 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You can see my setup in the picture warehouse. I use it for cleaning prints for studios as well as personal use and of course, testing the different mixes of FilmGuard over the years.

Generally I don't get odd looks from people once they sit down for a movie. At that point, there's always the discussion of "how much would it cost me..." that follows the show. Video will never compare to film and if it weren't for the many collectors out there, many titles would be lost since the studios don't seem too concerned on preserving them. Hell, Fox almost lost Star Wars 2 years back due to poor storage! Many restorations could not be possible if some collector didn't have a mint condition print which becomes the new negative! Also, many prints have had sound pulled off of a 4 track magnetic print for a digital restoration where the original tapes were lost.

Perhaps one day, I'll have something in my collection I can donate to the cause when the studio vault gets flooded and many titles are lost forever, except on VHS and DVD at Blockbuster!

Jim, send us pics of your setup for the warehouse!

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-29-1999 07:54 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The preservation point is a good one, and the usefulness of prints to film restorers and producers extends beyond the rare "lab-mint" examples that end up being the best surviving elements of a production.
For example, I happen to own a 35mm print of a reel 2 of a two-reel short. This is the only known existing 35mm IB Tech element of that title (I have a few feet of R1, but the rest of that reel has not been located). That reel is currently in an LA-area film vault on loan for a film restoration effort. Evidently, 35mm IB Tech material is more useful than 16mm IB material for color and contrast reference when restorers attempt to work with faded original negative elements to create new prints which resemble the original prints as closely as possible.
Aside from that 35mm IB reel and a quantity of 16mm IB prints, all other elements of this title have faded. The whole film preservation situation is pretty sad, really, and the rate of deterioration of magnetic tape (video and audio) is even faster than the rate of film deterioration.
I'm quite happy to have been able to contribute (in a small way, at least) to this sort of effort, and I would encourage all other collectors who have rare items to do the same.
Take care of everything...who would have thought that a beat-up old odd IB reel would be useful to anyone?

Chris Erwin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-29-1999 09:37 PM      Profile for Chris Erwin   Email Chris Erwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do I collect? Old 16mm,some 35mm,even some 8mm, and the equipment to run it on. Why? Because,in this digital age,someone has to hold the key to the past. If (God Forbid) the digital projector replaces film,I want to show my kids and grandkids what a reel (real) movie looks like. The theater business got in my blood,much as it has most on Film-Tech. We are projectionists, collectors, movie buffs, etc. and as long as we're at it, we'll carry the proud history of cinema through the years.

Long live film.

--Chris

Erika Hellgren
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-29-1999 11:41 PM      Profile for Erika Hellgren   Email Erika Hellgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This may seem a little pedestrian, but I collect 35mm trailers. I know, I know ... cheeeeeepo! But I love good, well-edited trailers. I have five VERY full 2000 ft. reels worth. All are now protected by FilmGuard

I edit my own "trailers" on video sometimes. There's something so fun about a two hour story told in just a couple minutes. Even the worst movies can have good trailers.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-30-1999 03:04 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To answer BF's question:

No, I do not collect film.

Why?

I dunno.

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 10-30-1999 03:54 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I collect 35mm Corporate Policy Trailers - old, new - whatever.

Even my best theatre friends (Except Aaron)think I'm weird...

I'm a Policy Trailer junkee.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-30-1999 12:00 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Erika--a female film-collector and projectionist! Wow! Too bad you're in Denver...we should meet sometime. I have at least 60 reels of trailers going back to about 1989, and including almost every major-studio release since 1996. I prefer features, but I get the trailers for free from a local theatre and can't bring myself to toss them.

Does anyone collect non-film movie stuff? I have a few posters, but that's about it. I seem to be accumulating a lot of old 35mm equipment and parts, too; I know that some people like to collect 16mm projectors, although the 35mm stuff looks much classier (esp. the silent-era Simplex machines!) and is easier to work on. One of the nice things about 35mm is that all the equipment has nice, big, easy-to-handle parts, particularly when compared with 16mm projectors, which require small hands to rebuild.

Stefan Scholz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-30-1999 02:11 PM      Profile for Stefan Scholz   Author's Homepage   Email Stefan Scholz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ye's I collect film. 35 mm and 70 mm. I do own about 14 titles in 70 mm mag, mostly in acceptable color, with some fading, but that's Eastman. The sound is still overwhelming.
And I still collect projectors, but had to stop doing so after owning about 60 35 mm projectors. I had to give away many, and sell some, but have managed to keep a few nicew examples, and my 70 mm projectors. They are somewhat rare, and in a few years all old theatres will have ceased, and noone will remember the ingenious engineering on some types (electronic controlled watercooled 255 Amp Ventarc lamps, w 22" mirrors, for example).
And of course, you need correct reproduction in a real theatre for 70 mm. To see a movie on our 65 ft curved screen, sitting only 30 ft away makes a difference. Most people in my age, mid 30s, say, they have seen for example Lawrence of Arabia for a few times, on their 22" TV, 157 min. long.
Having showed the 6 track on 65 ft in 222 minutes, all revoked their opinion, nobydy had ever seen the movie.
This is why I collect film. Digital will never rear the quality of film, it will always look dead.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 10-30-1999 06:27 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I collect film as well, have had two nice collections ( before the first one was stolen in 1986 and I had to start again) I collect mostly 'older' and 'unusual' things, Older trailers (especially T&A and exploitation films from the 60s and 70s), older commercials ( although there are a few commercials from the 90's i had chucked in to see what they were when projected), daters, anything Drive-In, and the like: I have a single 35mm print and a bunch of odd reels for many things... I am always looking for Music Motions 35mm music videos from 1982-87 and any of the other stuff in the collection above The kids at the local plexes do seem to get a kick of seeing what we 'used to run' at the older theatres...

Aaron

Stephen Winner
Film Handler

- posted 10-31-1999 07:26 PM      Profile for Stephen Winner   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Winner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have started collecting film after starting out as a stereo geek as a teenater, then getting onto the sound board at church, then stepping up to a projection booth. By the time I made it to the booth, I about had it with the trashy picture quality of NTSC!
I started poking around, and have started off simple: 16mm and 8mm. I don't have a big house, so 35mm is out of the question right now, my living room is only about the size of my booth! With a hole in the wall from my office to throw the picture from an educational grade Bell & Howell 1552.
I definitely agree with the opinions on the old simplec gear, it is quite classy looking. I like the etched glass "peerless magnarc logo's above the lamphouses! The first thing that came to mind when I saw the booth here is that it looked like an old silent horror flick...with large buzzing panels with big levers, whirring motors, those eerie looking carbon arc's (there's fire in there!) Not to mention the single dome light fixture with the incandescant bulb in it for booth lighting.

I just want to have a carbon-arc lamphouse, not even a full projector, these things are just totally intriguing to me! (I could put searchlight beams in the air, or run it on my 16mm!)

Stephen Winner
Film Handler

- posted 10-31-1999 07:29 PM      Profile for Stephen Winner   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Winner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...besides friends and family like watching movies MUCH better than TV when you have them over! So pop up some popcorn, thread the projector, dim the lights, and have fun!!!!

Johanna Innes
Film Handler

- posted 11-21-1999 08:07 PM      Profile for Johanna Innes   Email Johanna Innes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This collecting thing is an addiction. I've got a pile of trailers (35mm), more posters than I know what to do with, old reels from when my theater was running changeovers (before my time, I'm afraid), and if my manager decides to get rid of the 70mm attachments for our Vic, I'm taking them home. They're of no use, but I'll take them anyway...

Tyler Skinner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-21-1999 08:20 PM      Profile for Tyler Skinner   Email Tyler Skinner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a small growing collection of 16mm rareties, mostly 70's educationals with the guy in a cheesy voice showing you how to operate a rotary phone.

oh yes, if anyone has a prestine poster for the thin red line, I would really like to get one framed. I'll gladly pay.

Martin Frandsen
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2000 10:51 AM      Profile for Martin Frandsen   Email Martin Frandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a freind who collects dvd and when he see's the stunning quality that 35mm has opposit dvd he just gets blown away when the picture hits the screen. Thats why i collect 35mm films and trailers because of the amazing picture quality.

I also have a large collection of laserdisc, good for reference when building up a 35mm print.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: