Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » FilmGuard praise

Author Topic: FilmGuard praise
Erika Hellgren
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-26-1999 05:34 AM      Profile for Erika Hellgren   Email Erika Hellgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just in case there is anyone out there who is not yet convinced that this stuff rocks ...

I was looking in on my print of Sixth Sense tonight, which we've had since it opened in July. Back in August we ran the print through FilmGuard for about 3 days. By then it had gotten very dirty, but to give you an idea of how well this stuff works - just from those three days the print is still clean to this day. There is not a single speck to be seen on that print. 11 passes through FilmGuard was enough to protect it for over three months! This stuff kicks serious butt.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-26-1999 10:19 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been slowly implementing FilmGuard with the same results. With 24 screens and currently only 2 cleaners, we are currently only able to treat the prints and let them go for a while before having a chance to reapply. I must say that the prints and projectors stay clean the entire time. No dust, scraping gunk off of the bands, etc. It also does wonders for preserving the Dolby Track. With a good application of FilmGuard during the opening run, it appears that the Dolby error rates ranges between 0 and 3. I am currently tracking this and hopefully will present my results but this is at least 2 months away.

Thanks Brad for all your hard work.

Oh, yea! WE need to come up with inserts to include with prints that we protect with FilmGuard, providing of course that the depots wont throw it away. Maybe something like this.

+------------------------------------------+

Dear Theatre Manager / Projectionist:

This print has been treated with FilmGuard (Patent Pending). This process results in a cleaner on screen presentation and practically no deterioration of the SDDS and Dolby Digtal tracks.

It is hoped that you enjoy these benefits that came with this print.

For more information on this product, please visit www.film-tech.com.

+-------------------------------------------+

Please post your own ideas.

----------------------
Paul Konen
Usher-B
Cinemark Legacy 24

Erika Hellgren
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-26-1999 03:46 PM      Profile for Erika Hellgren   Email Erika Hellgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last week I printed up a bunch of little cards that said: "This print has been FilmGuarded. Don't know what FilmGuard is? Visit www.film-tech.com" I tucked a card into the can of each film I tore down last week.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-26-1999 04:08 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny this should come up. I have received several suggestions via private emails of making some form of "notation" as to having a print "Protected with FilmGuard".

I was thinking of making self-adhesive labels about 3/4 inch by 3 inches to put in with the bottles which would be placed on the leaders to tape the ends down. It would be killing two birds with one stone...as it would identify a FilmGuarded print AND would hold the leaders down during shipping.

Keep the ideas coming. I'll do the best one.

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-27-1999 02:21 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, whatever you do, you might want to indicate on the label/insert/whatever, not to use XeKote around that particular print.

Although, from what I hear XeKote is being discontinued as the shipping companies want haz mat fees to ship the stuff.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-27-1999 10:11 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been writing a little "FG" on the tape when I break the prints down. I thought about putting a card or leaflet in the can but I didn't know if people would think that was Kosher. I guess I'll print up a bunch of leaflets.....

I agree about the long-term benefits too. I FilmGuarded "6th Sense" two weeks ago and it's still spotless. That print has OVER 400 runs on it and it's still going strong. This week I treated "3 Kings" and "American Beauty". They are both doing great... EVEN when you move them to another projector.
"3Kings" and "Am. Beauty" are in side-by-side houses. They run so quiet that the sound from BOTH projectors is quieter than ONE projector without FG.

We have one guy who is very 'resistant to change' at my theater. He didn't want to use FG at first because he didn't want to rewind the pads all the time. NOW he loves FG becasue he doesn't have to clean projectors as much. Just give 'em a quick wipe at the end of the night and go home. (A HUGE time saving when you work in a Googolplex with only one guy to close!)

Simply put... If you aren't using FilmGuard, YOU SHOULD BE!

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-21-1999 12:10 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK. From the collectors edge:

I got my first print with digital coding on the edge of the print. It was also layered with shoe polish. FG'd the print after I inspected every inch of it.

Two weeks have passed. I transferred the print to the nice reels that I gathered for it. I cleaned the print again as I wound it onto the new reels. All of the reels look fine when projecting. You would not believe how much gook came off of the film! It turned the cleaning surface almost black! Two reels were especially nasty, so I did them again. More filth, but not as much as the first time. I will wait a couple of weeks to see what happens when I clean it again.

Oh yes, I found out why the Holmes image bounced so much. Gate springs were installed on the wrong sides! What a difference!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: