Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Music of the Heart

Author Topic: Music of the Heart
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-25-1999 06:03 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone play this sneak? The print I had was from the Deluxe lab in Toronto on Kodak regular Vision stock.

The registration was horrid. The print wouldn't lay flat in the gate and had a constant bouncing rubber focus. Also, even when the golfball size grain was focused, the images were not. Looks like an 8mm blowup. Focus had to be adjusted every 5 minutes, as it would drift SEVERELY! Also, there was a 20 foot stretch of sprocket damage towards the end of reel 3! This print was brand new. Note: this theater NEVER has such problems.

I'm curious as to other's impressions on other prints. We're getting another print, but I fear we might get another like this. Since the print was only going to run the one time for a sneak, we didn't bother running FilmGuard on it and we didn't pre-screen it. It was loaded up and ran dry, yet it was so bad the auditorium had to be refunded! I've never seen anything this bad before. Note: the two loose trailers that were in the can played flawlessly. It was ran on a Christie P35GP projector.

Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas?

|  IP: Logged

Erika Hellgren
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-26-1999 05:20 AM      Profile for Erika Hellgren   Email Erika Hellgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Geez! Yeah, we ran that sneak. I wasn't there when it ran so I didn't see it myself, but one of my co-workers said it was real bouncy - comparable to Sixth Sense, but I don't think it was so bad that people would want refunds. I wasn't planning on running FilmGuard on it (I instinctively thought it was Fugi since the movie was made by Miramax), but now I think I will, just in case my print is in as bad a shape as Brad's. I may post again after I screen it Thursday if there are any other problems with it.

George Roher
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-30-1999 01:23 AM      Profile for George Roher   Email George Roher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been running Music of the Heart recently and the print makes a ton of noise as it runs through the projector (Century SA-Turret). It also seems to be pretty unsteady, but not as bad as what you described. I'm gonna be running "Music" at another theatre in a few days and I'll report anything weird with that print.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-30-1999 03:38 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
F.E.I. My replacement print of Music of the Heart runs just fine. Same lab, film stock and projector. Nothing has changed.

Kenn Fong
Film Handler

- posted 10-31-1999 01:03 AM      Profile for Kenn Fong   Author's Homepage   Email Kenn Fong   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, the print we got came with a lot of white spots. Throughout the print, although I haven't sat through the movie from beginning to end. Stefan, our senior (union) projectionist -- we are a 100% union projectionist house -- said the internegative must have been dirty. The rest of the print runs fine, not jumpy like the print you got, Brad.

------------------
Kenn Fong
http://qwertyuiop.net
Screenwriter's Home Page

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-31-1999 11:35 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
White spots are dust and dirt on the negative and usually the PTRs on the printers do a good job picking it off.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-02-1999 11:16 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our print is pretty decent, but it's got that jittery 6th Sense effect in some of the reels. It's not quite as bad and most people won't notice it.

However, there was a REALLY crummy lab splice in reel 6 that I had to fix. There's still about 3 seconds where the sound goes wonky and then a splice.... then it's back to normal.

Kenn Fong
Film Handler

- posted 11-02-1999 12:12 PM      Profile for Kenn Fong   Author's Homepage   Email Kenn Fong   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone notice the weird placement of the final reel change? The last reel is very short (8 mins.) and it starts right as the final musical number ends but just before the applause. A careful listener will notice the drop in the applause.

By the way, you're right, Gordon, it was the negative not the internegative. Projectionist Randy was referring to a green scratch (resembling a green hair) I thought I saw sometime in the last 20 mins, but was unable to spot again.

------------------
Kenn Fong
http://qwertyuiop.net
Screenwriter's Home Page

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: