Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Fun training story

Author Topic: Fun training story
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-23-1999 02:58 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The talk about supplementary projection, Radio-Mats and brass stenciled slides reminded me of something that happened about 25 yrs ago when I was projectionist (pre-owner days) at my theatre.

I was training this new kid on doing changeovers. We had (and still have) one of the ancient brass-plate/radio-mat slide machines; the off-on switch for it was quite close to the motor switch for the right-hand projector.

So I've given the kid all the instructions on how to change over; I'm peering out the left window watching for the motor cue, and when it happens, he flips the switch...and the projector doesn't start. I'm panicking, not realizing that he hit the slide-machine switch instead.

We recovered quickly and only missed the changeover by a couple of seconds, but the kicker was, there was a "sex scene" on the screen when it happened, and the slide in the machine was "COMING SOON."

I can still remember the booth floor shaking from people stomping their feet after that one!

Mike

|  IP: Logged

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-24-1999 02:27 AM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peterborough Drive-In, Peterborough, Ontatrio, Canada
May, 1969.

My apprentice was going to Toronto the next day to write his examination for Projectionist - Second Class. As this was his last night as my "trainee", I decided to let him run the show while I sat in my car, with my wife, just outside the rewind-room door. (Ground-level booth).

The show consisted of a four-reeler, a reel of trailers and intermission strips, intermission, and a five-reeler called "The Green Berets" (starring John Wayne).

I was proud of him. The first feature ran flawlessly, as did the intermission reel. Reel 1 of "Green Berets" was threaded in the #2 projector during the trailers. During intermission reel 2 was threaded in projector 1. (You can see what's coming, can't you?).

End of intermission, the tower lights extinguish as a picture of John Wayne appears on the screen, in a plane saying "Prepare to jump." Having run this picture for the last couple of days, I realized this was reel 2. I bolted out of the car and into the booth just as the apprentice had switched the sound system over to mike to make the ten minute concession-closing announcement....

As my wife later described it:
"It was kind of weird. First, there was this picture of John Wayne, then you went running into the booth, then we heard over the speakers "You stupid sonofabitch!", the screen went black, then there appeared a strip with "OUR FEATURE PRESENTATION".

BTW, the apprentice passed his exam and went on to become one of the best projectionists in our local.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-27-1999 11:14 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The latest funny story I have is this...

I was testing the proj. and flipped it to SCOPE. (Simplex w/ turret) The movie was FLAT. Also, that theater has common-width (moving top) masking. I forgot to flip it back to FLAT when I was done.

When the movie started, the guy who was running the show noticed quickly and flipped the lens. But it takes about 15 seconds or so for the masking to move up....

The first trailer was the "Toy Story 2" teaser where the little green squeaky aliens point up and say, "It MOVES!!!"

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-27-1999 11:19 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
HAHA! You should do that intentionally at the start of every show! (I think I'll program that on the automation here.)

On the scope full length trailer for "Far and Away" the image starts as a matted 1.85 and partway through extends to full 2.35 while saying "shot in Super Panavision 70mm". We had our masking precisely aligned for that trailer and would open the masking at exactly that point. It looked very nice.

I realize that isn't a humorous story, but the masking thing with Toy Story 2 made me think of that.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 10-28-1999 12:18 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was running, "Top Gun" in a c/o booth with hour reels. In the morning we ran a cartoon, then "TG" in the evening. I put R1-3 of "TG" on proj 1, but R4-5 on proj 2 of this cartoon (name of which I forget.)

It changed-over from the two of them in bed, to a choo-choo train straining and puffing up a hill under a load. It wiped it's brow and said, "I'm doing the best I can!" or something like that before I could shut it off.

David Koegel
Film Handler

- posted 10-28-1999 09:25 AM      Profile for David Koegel   Email David Koegel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL! That's a riot! Thanks to all for the great stories. -- David

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: