Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Where do I get training?

Author Topic: Where do I get training?
James Dunn
Film Handler

- posted 10-22-1999 02:00 PM      Profile for James Dunn   Email James Dunn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a newbie in the projectionist world. I've got the very simple basics down, but I want to know where I can find extensive training. I have no doubt that I'm going to learn a lot more from my co-workers, but I also know that there are a lot of things that they don't know. Are there schools, correspondence classes, or anything of that nature that I can go to or take that'll educate me in all the aspects of the job?

|  IP: Logged

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-22-1999 02:28 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. Read everything in Film-Tech.
2. Ask lots of questions on the Film-Handler's Forum.
3. Try a subscription to the newsletter published by the Moving Image Society. www.bksts.com/cinetec.htm
4. Make mistakes. I know it sounds stupid, but we all learn that way.
5. Don’t rush. Double-check everything.
6. Don’t be afraid to take it apart. Keep notes, so you can put it back together again.
7. Have fun. "They don’t pay you enough to have a bad time!"

James Dunn
Film Handler

- posted 10-23-1999 01:20 PM      Profile for James Dunn   Email James Dunn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the great advice Ian. Anybody else have suggestions?

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 10-24-1999 01:39 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try and find a person who knows about projection. When I first started learning, I learned from a guy who would just throw the film on the floor, etc. About a year later, I met a fellow who was the 'real deal'- he used to hand rewind film for his dad. Also, try to get involved when equipment is repaired, changed, etc. Most techs will show you lots of stuff if they have the time.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 10-24-1999 03:04 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes we techs will show you just about everything you want (or didn't want) to know, to include old war stories... )

Aaron

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 10-24-1999 03:05 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes we techs will show you just about everything you want (or didn't want) to know, to include old war stories...

Aaron

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-24-1999 12:41 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with John Walsh. It has been my experience that techs WANT the projectionists there when they drove 150 miles from their base to fix YOUR machinery. Those folks that don't show up are talked about and usually blamed for many mistakes because they have no idea whats going on in the first place. Ask your tech every question you can think of and he/she will answer it because God knows, they sure as hell ain't going to drive through a snow and ice storm to fix something you can do yourself. (Real life story: a sister cinema in our company called the tech to come and replace a worn breaker late one evening last winter. If any of you folks from the Northeast remember that wonderful ice storm last February, you'll know why this tech always bitches about the people over there everytime I talk to him!)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: