Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » A question about Cinemark presentations (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: A question about Cinemark presentations
Masao Garcia
Film Handler

- posted 10-20-1999 12:44 PM      Profile for Masao Garcia   Email Masao Garcia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been reading this board for like the past week, and I've learned a lot from this site. I've even tried posting once, but it didn't seem to work. Anyway, hopefully this one will work.

I've seen the hatred for AMC presentations here, and I was wondering what people think about any Cinemark presentations they've been through. I personally work for Cinemark, at a 10-plex, and I think only one or two of our prints are scratched and I believe our overall presentation is fairly good. Where I live, Cinemark pretty much owns the valley. They have a fairly new 22-plex about 10 miles away from my work, and their presentation really sux. They've improved since they've opened (May 19th...hmm, Star Wars?), but their presentation is still lacking.
Anyway, I was just wondering how everyone else thought about Cinemark.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-20-1999 01:23 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinemark (at least down here) seems to be one of the better chain-run theatres in regards to presentation. I don't like their selection of Ultra stereo processors and a few other little quirks like not leaving enough room on the "platforms" for the raised projectors/platters to easily move a print, but overall they're pretty darned good. I would assume this is pretty much a fair generalization across the country, as surely something would've been posted otherwise on the forum by now.

Of course, it will vary from theatre to theatre depending on the projection equipment installed (example: Simplex projectors=dirty prints due to the soundhead design) and most importantly, the particular booth operator team currently at any given location. Bad operators always=bad presentation.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-20-1999 01:31 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoy Cinemark presentations and I would go see any film at any Cinemark theater without hesitation. Where I work, many of our managers and assistant managers go on to become Cinemark people. Yesterday, in fact, I learned that a former manager recieved his own ten-plex outside Canton, Ohio. A former assistant (and very good friend) has been running a nine screen not to far down the road from there in Wooster. Both of these guys are happy with Cinemark. One of the guys in our booth presently is making motions of crossing over to the Texas based company. I think it would be very good for him. A few of the folks on this forum are Cinemark employees. Randy Stankey, a projectionist at Tinseltown 17 comes to mind right away, but there are others.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-20-1999 03:01 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I am a 'Cinemarker". Even though I've only been doing this for 3-1/2 yrs., I think I do a pretty d*mn good job. However, I want to learn as much as I can so I can improve.

I ALWAYS hear things like, "(sigh...) You work for THAT place?" There seems to be a feeling that 'googolplex' theatres aren't very good. That depresses me. I try pretty hard to make things as perfect as I can.

If anybody has a complaint with a movie: I WANT TO KNOW ABOUT IT! Even though I think I'm good, I still make mistakes. I can't fix what I don't know about.

(Furthermore, if my Mgr. knows that there have been complaints / constructive criticism, maybe they'll give me more of those maintainence hours I've been asking for.)

(TT-17 -- Erie, Pa)

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-20-1999 06:08 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"I think only one or two of our prints are scratched"

Really? Only one or two? That's pretty good! Of course, all of mine are scratched. We scratch them on the first run. Why? Because it's film and people need to see dirt and scratches to fully appreciate the "film experience"!

Of course, I am kidding!

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-20-1999 06:36 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Limited time offer!

Get the newest film product on the market!

FILM-SCRATCH

For a limited time only, you can order FILM-SCRATCH from this special web offer.

What is FILM-SCRATCH? It's a revolutionary product from RamCo that will give your audience that special "film" experience. Just mount it to your film-cleaning bracket on your platter or projector. In just one run, you film will look like it ran in an AMC theatre for a year.

FILM-SCRATCH has a patented roller system that will create platter scratches. Change out to a new roller and you can create beautiful emulsion scratches. All rollers create an interesting series of base scratches.

Order today and we will throw in, at no extra charge, the revolutionary Dirt-Master dirt depositing system.

That's right, two products for the price of one! It won't cost you $200 or $195 or $190 or even $185. No you won't pay $175 or $170, $165 or $160.

For 4 easy payments of $39.99 this revolutionary film system can be yours!

For web orders, please have your manager's credit card ready and click this, www.scratch-dirt.com today!

The preceding was a paid web offer.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-20-1999 07:09 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian--I've been looking for a product that will give those nice diagonal platter scratches, even on prints that have never been run on a platter. Being a skeptical consumer, I'd like to see a demo of film-scratch before I buy it. Do you mind if I send you a rare/mint/IB Tech print of something for the demonstration? Thanks!

Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 10-20-1999 07:19 PM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When will RamCo be rolling out Digital Film Scratch? Given AMC's current talk about Digital Cinema, and their consistent use of Film Scratch, I'm sure they'll be anxious to implement a digital version within the next few months.

George Roher
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-20-1999 10:41 PM      Profile for George Roher   Email George Roher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian, how much control does the operator have over the Film-Scratach system? If you specifically want your emulsion scratches to be all green, or yellow only, can you do that? It sounds like a good idea to me, but putting new equipment into theatres means training people to operate it. Your basic AMC projection monkey will probably screw it up and his film will look brand new for months. Who is gonna train these people?

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-20-1999 10:46 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since I've been thinking about it....

Where should I look for the best examples of excellence in presentation?

I kind of work in a vacuum. There are four operating theatres in my town and I work at two of them. 23 of the 28 screens are owned by Cinemark. That leaves me without a lot to compare to.

I first learned how to run projectors at Cinemark and everything else I've learned about projection has been pretty much self-taught or from books. (AND of course this site!) I have spoken to less than 6 people total for advice and knowledge.

I guess this is a two parter:

1) What is the #1 theater that any projectionist worth his salt should visit at least once in their lives? ("Projectionist's Mecca", if you will.)

2) What is a great theater that I can travel to without spending a lot of money to get there? (I live in Pennsylvania, approx. in the center of the Cleveland, Buffalo and Pittsburgh 'triangle'.) I'm willing to take a day's drive and possibly an over-nighter.

A 'plus' would be if the people there will talk to you or even give a short tour. (I promise to keep my hands in my pockets if you say so )

Stephen Jones 1
Film Handler

- posted 10-21-1999 04:35 AM      Profile for Stephen Jones 1   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Jones 1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too am a "Cinemarker" and am very pleased with the company. They seem to care about my presentations. Though my theatre doesn't the business of the Tinseltown 20 in Plano, they still care enough to send my parts and supplies within five days. I work in Arkansas and everyone out there should be happy that they don't have to go to some of these theatres. The two Cinemark theatres in the Little Rock market are just way above the competition. Agreeing with Randy, I too would like to get in those much needed maintenace hours. I take much pride in my booth and it's nice to see others with the same company care and love their jobs as much as I do. I have a question: I've worked with Cinemark for 3 years and I was taught to take off the green leader to previews. I notice that other theatres leave it on, and all the CInemarks I've been to take it off. Personally, I think it makes the previews flow much easier and the presenation seems to be smooth without the interuptions of the "legal fine print." Also, in Arkansas, Cinemark is the only one that runs sound trailers on the beginning out their movies. I think that the sound trailer adds to the excitement of watching a movie in a theatre and not at home. Okay, enough talking on my part.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-21-1999 08:10 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the topic of "quality theatres that are worth visiting," I'll contribute a few personal favorites: Byrd Theatre, Richmond VA. (1928 movie palace in beautiful condition, second-run films, $2 admission, cool 1950s booth--see pic gallery); Senator Theatre, Baltimore MD. (example of an extremely well-run theatre with top presentation quality; I haven't seen the booth there, but I do know that it's equipped for 16/35/70mm with SDDS, Dolby Digital, DTS-70, and mag, first-run); CO Uptown Theatre, Washington DC (former Cinerama house, still has deep-curve screen [sheet, not strips], big red curtains, comfy seats, first-run programming, top-notch presentation, smallish but interesting booth--see pic gallery); AFI Theatre, Washington DC (consistently top-notch presentations, interesting art/rep programming, good sound, booth is equipped for 16/35mm and is fireproofed for nitrate); Avon Cinema, Providence RI (still burning carbon arc, smallish screen but consistently nice presentations, art-house progrmaming)
There are a lot of other great theatres that would qualify for "honorable mentions" that I won't bother to list here. I'd be interested to see others' contributions to this topic.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 10-21-1999 09:45 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "Projectionist's Mecca" near me would be New York City. Two I can think of off the top of my head would be the Zigfeld and Radio City MH. For different reasons: The Zig has great sight lines and high quality picture/sound, although the booth is nothing special (a pair of JJ's and a platter); RCMH gives you a feel for when a projectionist was a Projectionist, showing one film to almost 6000 people with your choice of (3) 35/70 and one 35 only projector, and not a sound rack, but a sound room to hold all the amps.
Also, don't forget movie palaces of old nearby at the Loew's Valienca and Loew's Kings (now a church.) Forget about Loew's Pardise which has been chopped up.

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-21-1999 09:55 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I am also with Cinemark. I take great pride in my work, trying to make it the best that I can. It is very hard for me to go to a movie with my family there though because if something is not how I would present it, I almost always go up to the booth to fix it. It really bothers me!

One wish, Cinemark would get us the supplies that we need to do our job better. (In case someone is looking)
1. Larger clamps for the upcoming 10 reel Insider. (I know this from visiting with Brad at his place).
2. 2K split reel for rewinding reel changes back onto the core. (I guess I could get a Technicolor reel but don't want to risk my health).
3. Diagnostic film strips for checking Dolby Digital Offset and other simple maintenance aids. Along with appropriate training.

Paul Konen
Usher B
Cinemark Legacy 24
Plano TX

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-22-1999 02:41 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,

The longer clamps and split reels are both available from Neumade and a priced well below your theatres spending limit. Part numbers are available off of the Neumade web site. As for the SRD test films, you can proabably requisition them, but most of them are pretty much useless w/o the proper test equipment.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: