Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » OOPS! -- I broke it!!!

Author Topic: OOPS! -- I broke it!!!
Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-15-1999 03:50 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was checking the gate alignment on one of the Century (MSC-TA -- Turret) projectors at TT17 this morning.

The film was getting scuffed and the proj. was 'dandruff-ing' pretty bad. It was noisy too.

I've done it a few times, so I don't have any problems actually doing it. (The 1/4 inch allen wrench thing.)

I loosened the 1st screw that holds the gate slider, OK. When I went to loosen the second one(Left one)the allen wrench broke off in the screw head! (At least it was a Craftsman )

I was able to get the other one back in and the proj. is running OK, now but the piece of the wrench is still in there!

It's just the 'ball' part of the wrench. It's broken off flush with the head of the screw. I can't pull it out with a pair of needle nose pliers. I can't use a jeweler's screwdriver to pry it out either. I tried using a small drill to make a little hole in the broken piece so I can use an EZ-out but 1) The drill I have won't fit in the tight space 2) The metal is too hard.

Like I said, it's still running, but if we gotta' do any repairs in the future, we're SCREWED! (Pardon the pun)

Any suggestions?

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-15-1999 04:23 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, don't use allen wrenches with the ball.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-15-1999 04:44 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love Allen wrenches with the little ball.

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-15-1999 08:22 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too have done this, usually about half an hour before show-time. You use words you never thought you knew when this happens.

The allen keys with the ball ends are great as long as you do the final tightening with the short end. Of course, I always realize this after the ball is impossibly "welded" within the hole. This is hardened steel, so I doubt if you'll have much luck drilling.

Only solution I have found works is to loosen the opposing screw, then use a small hardened screwdriver blade and hammer the rim of the screw counter clockwise until it loosens enough that you can remove it. PLEASE USE A FACE-MASK WHEN DOING THIS. It will, of course, be necessary to replace the screw (found in most decent hardware stores under "fasteners").

An alternative is to take off the assembly onto which this is mounted, and take it to a machine shop. Shouldn't cost much, but you will probably get the standard lecture on the proper use of tools.

Good luck.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-19-1999 03:49 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I won't be using a ball-ended wrench on this kind of job anymore. The one I have was suddenly converted in to a regular wrench!

By the way, I was LOOSENING the screw when it broke. (Who the HE** puts 'em in so tight?) Also, it's recessed into the bracket. Maybe I can find a longer length drill meant for drilling hard steel. Regular "jobber" drills won't cut it.

Anyway, I was able to get the projector back into alignment. I loosened the other screw and swiveled the gate back into alignment. Seems to be okay for now. I'll just let it be and sleep on it for a while. That idea about making a notch and tapping it out seems to be the best so far.

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-19-1999 09:28 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If somebody there is worried about a screw coming loose, introduce them to "Loctite 242". Available at most hardware and auto-supply stores, this liquid comes in a small squeezable tube. One simply puts a little of this on the thread before inserting the screw and tightining it snugly - not overtight.

The liquid hardens, and the screw cannot loosen. It can be removed by normal means.

CAUTION - Use only 242 NOT 262. To remove a screw set with 262 requires a blowtorch. Please read the package instructions to make sure you have the correct type.

Alan Brandt
Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2000 06:10 PM      Profile for Alan Brandt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try dabbing the broken piece with a little frethonite. It may stink for a few minutes but after the liquid sets in place, the hardened steel around the busted allen wrench crumbles like a fried fig newton, thus only exposing the piece of allen wrench.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: