Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Letterboxed Trailers

Author Topic: Letterboxed Trailers
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-12-1999 02:24 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How does everyone feel about how most trailers are letterboxed these days? Although I don't like cropped pictures, I am willing to make an exception for trailers. Letterboxed trailers can make it look like the projectionist screwed up to the uninitiated. Plus, it's just tacky. This is the movies! Not home video! Ug.

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-12-1999 07:36 AM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really care for letterboxed presentations for two reasons. First, horizontal letterboxed trailers (and verticals for that matter too) do look tacky. When I'm rushed and I got a film with tight framelines, I need to know it is perfectly on the screen. A letterboxed trailer at the start means I got to stay close by the projector to make sure everything is OK. This is hell when I got a film that has to start on the other side of the booth. Second, and this is really not film related, I HATE letterboxed movies on video. Here's why: When I use a video in teaching social studies, I WANT pan-and-scan. We're not there for entertainment and the TV screens in schools are only 14". It's hell trying to show "Last of the Mohicans" letterboxed to 25 kids who want to be somewhere else! "Why won't it get any bigger?" is a phrase I don't look forward to hearing in the classroom or at the theater.

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-12-1999 01:55 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Letterbox trailers do get a lot of calls to the booth. People don't understand all the time. It is especially worse if it is the first one. INSIDERS is this way, in flat format I believe.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-12-1999 02:27 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That "Insider" trailer is an excellent example of why trailers should NOT be "letterboxed". The bars wander up and down throughout the trailer and framing is impossible! I really am starting to think no one bothers to screen the check prints anymore. Even the last theater policy I received had the soundtrack start during the countdown leader...followed by matted brown frames. How embarassing is that to run?

Christopher A Kerr
Film Handler

- posted 10-12-1999 04:18 PM      Profile for Christopher A Kerr   Email Christopher A Kerr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We don't usually show trailers, but if they are allready on the print when we get it, I don't take them off. We got the Sixth Sense with trailers for The Insider and Mumford on it so I just left them there. I think I'll take them off because they are letterboxed and the customer complaints are diving me insane!

Since we don't normally show trailers, when I first started the film(which is flat) on opening night, I thought I had left the scope lense on with the flat aperature plate. I scrambled for a few seconds, trying to figure out what I had done before I realized what was going on.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: