Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » AMC RETIRING "CLIP" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: AMC RETIRING "CLIP"
Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-09-1999 09:42 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AMC THEATRES ANNOUNCES THE RETIREMENT OF "CLIP"

Officials at AMC Theatres, one of the nations largest theatre chains, announced today the imminent retirement of the chains beloved mascot Clip. For more than 10 years, Clip has appeared in AMC policy trailers around the world. When asked what prompted the retirement of Clip, an AMC official said "well, he's made of film." The official went on to say that as the chain, known for its megaplexes, embraces the new digital projection technology they felt it was time for a mascot that reflected the new technology.

Sources deep in the AMC organization, who asked that their identities remain hidden, revealed that in January, 2000 the company would introduce two new mascots who reflect the digital future, One and Zero.

Meanwhile, Clip, who has endured a hard life at the hands of AMC personnel is looking forward to his retirement. "I hope to find a home with a nice, caring projectionist who will provide me with restorative Film-Guard therapy." In recent years, Clip has shown more and more scratches on all of his limbs and is usually covered in dirt. "It's not easy being an AMC mascot," said Clip. Due to healthcare cutbacks at the company, Clip's right arm was reattached with zebra tape after a 1997 break. Earlier this year, a broken leg was repaired with masking tape. "Maybe after I leave AMC I'll finally be able to get the popcorn grease off of me," said Clip.

When asked about Clip's poor treatment at the hands of AMC staff, company officials had no comment.

|  IP: Logged

Chris Erwin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-10-1999 10:38 AM      Profile for Chris Erwin   Email Chris Erwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clip,huh? At AMC,shouldn't it be called Splice? (this is just what I gather from this forum, All we have is Sony/Loews,Cinemark, a Carmike or two,and some independents and regional chains where I live)

-Chris

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-10-1999 03:54 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ROTFL!

It should be called, "Torn Sprocket Hole," or "Scratch."

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-10-1999 08:17 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always admired the way AMC went for that extra detail on CLIP. You know, the scratches all over his entire body. The dirt specks. The out of frame splice that joins his legs to his torso.

The only piece of film I have ever seen to come pre-scratched from the labs BY REQUEST from AMC to meet their quality standards.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-12-1999 06:33 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damn! I can't seem to get into trouble when I try. But nooo!

The Clip bit was written by a friend of mine who shall remain nameless. But it brings up an interesting question.

Have any of the big chains updated their policy trailers?

UA is recycling 5 year old trailers that weren't even recorded in SR much less digital. Mann had a disasterous policy trailer that looked like it was recorded off of a VGA computer screen with a VHS-C camcorder.

The rule is inovate or die. Lets all watch some death.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-12-1999 08:04 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I have seen many giant theatre chains go completely out of business because they did not update their policy trailers.

Anyway, the new Mann policy (or Feature Presentation as they refer to it) was abominable! I am showing the older ones, which are about 6,000,000,001 times better! We didn't realize how good they were until they pulled them!

As far as UA goes, I think that as of this writing they are playing Blade Runner 2: ODDyssey. That has Dolby Digital, SDDS, and DTS timecode. Too bad the DTS version was NEVER put on any discs! In an odd twist of fate, the old Mann policy had the 6 track sound on the DTS discs (sounds GREAT) but no timecode on any of the trailers ever printed! What was even weirder was that if you cut the UA ODDyssey trailer tail too late, the Mann music will start playing in DTS in your UA theatre! I had this happen and I laughed my ass off.

Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 10-13-1999 02:10 AM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody seen the Sony/Loews/Cineplex one recently? Very lame and way too loud, its louder than "Lets See It In THX," and almost as lame. And why make a policy that ends with a white background? Are they trying to show off how dirty their prints are?

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 10-18-1999 09:31 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know - it sure would be a shame for AMC to simply throw Clip into the trash (like so many UA Theatres throw their trailers).

If anybody finds a stray "Clip" I could find it in my heart to give the poor guy a kind and loving home.

(HINT-HINT)

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2001 02:26 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clip is alive and well, thank you.

For good taste Clip is preferable to the Pepsi Girl.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-18-2001 02:55 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, only 7 hours and 5 minutes shy of replying 2 years later.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2001 08:13 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that Pepsi Girl was HORRIBLE!! Regal still uses the Roller Coaster policy, but it has been updated. New graphics, but same soundtrack. But is has all 3 digital formats.

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2001 05:08 AM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know it's time to change your trailer when the audience can whistle the music while it plays. DUM dee dee dee DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM (AMC).

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2001 10:54 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John A: Every time I've been to an AMC theater I never hear the audience whistle the music.

Ken: The Pepsi Girl looked especially ridiculous in front of arty pictures like Quills or Pollock. The only time the Pepsi Girl was appropriate was in front of Cecil B. Demented.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2001 12:03 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love the Roller Coaster policy.

Welcome to Regal Cinemas
Refreshements are available in the lobby
Please -- Keep our theatre clean by disposing of trash in specified containers
And remember, gift certificates are available for any special occasion
Enjoy the show.....

Yes, I can whistle the tune. Comes from seeing it 20 times a night on tha friggin lobby screen

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2001 01:57 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That Regal trailer should be amended to say "Enjoy the show... IF you can!"

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: