Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS trailers

Author Topic: DTS trailers
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-05-1999 06:50 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thread on Dolby trailers made me wonder...why doesn't DTS produce a new trailer? They are still pushing the same industrial noisy original one. (which I'm sure nobody is running anymore...)

Does anyone know anyone at DTS who can be hassled about this?

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-05-1999 07:17 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have read in many trade publications and even home theatre magazines where DTS has been quoted as saying that they are working on a new trailer. At first, they were supposed to have it ready two years or so after the debut of the original. That one can be downloaded at DTS's website at http://www.dtstech.com
Once viewing it, it is easy to see why they scrapped it. Then I heard that they were supposed to have a new one ready when Lost World came out. No dice. And then they were supposed to have one when they released their DTS-ES "EX Adaptor". Nothing yet. So who knows? Anybody from DTS care to comment? We really like the system, but the trailer is just a tad old.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-05-1999 08:10 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Karen is a fantastic contact at DTS. They support their products extremely well and I highly recommend them. However, I must admit I no longer play the DTS logo trailers either as they are soooooooooo old. Plus, they haven't been remixed to account for the raising of the subwoofer level last spring.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-06-1999 06:51 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a copy of a note I just emailed to dTS:

Hello,

We've had DTS in our theatre here for five years now. Please consider producing a new DTS trailer. The old one is outmoded because:

- People are sick of it
- No theatre I know of (including ours) is showing it anymore.
- The sound in it is outdated (industrial?)
- The sound mix is wrong for the new EQ settings
- Dolby and Sony produce several new trailers EVERY year

If not for the theatrical business, your company wouldn't exist. How about giving us something new to promote with?

Thanks,

Mike Blakesley
Roxy Theatre

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-06-1999 08:33 PM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought that the DTS trailer was the most grating on the ears by far of any sound format trailers... is it just supposed to demonstrate the dynamic range of digital?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-06-1999 09:26 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Something VERY important in regards to a new DTS trailer. They need to MAKE SURE the timecode runs all the way into the tail leader and there is "all zeros" silence during the end. I have found the THX TEX trailers drop out right at the end and default back to SR just before the feature begins because of this. DTS says to cut the tail leader off 6 frames past the last image frame...that's crazy! For snipes such as sound logos where they will be handled over and over, there needs to be at least 2 full feet of black (preferably with frame lines) at the front and back of the logo.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-06-1999 10:08 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Framelines? What are you talking about? If projectionists were intended to cut in frame, there would be frame lines!

Actually, frame lines probably cost too much to print. Gotta save those pennies!

Mathias Andersson
Film Handler

- posted 10-07-1999 09:25 AM      Profile for Mathias Andersson   Email Mathias Andersson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I talked to Lise Hannibal at DTS the other day and a new DTS trailer titled "Sonic Landscape" will be released with new units October 18 and will be released to 15 000 screens by the end of the month.

Finally a new trailer!!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-07-1999 03:44 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a copy of what I got back from DTS regarding their new trailer (complete with phone numbers and ordering info.)

Mike

------------------------
Hi, Mike--

We do have an all-new trailer which will start shipping with new
units October 18, and will be available for ordering through our
Customer Care team at 1-800-959-4109 or 1-818-706-3525. A
mailing is going out on this in the next week ... it's a very different
trailer than our last one and I'd love to hear your thoughts when
you've seen and heard it.

Please let me know if I can help with any other promotional
issues. Thanks!

All this and more from the friendly techno team at DTS!

Lise Hannibal
DTS Cinema Marketing
ph (818) 706-3525
fax (818) 879-2746
email: lhannibal@dtsonline.com

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-07-1999 03:48 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ummmmm, how much will they cost? DTS has always charged for their trailers.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-07-1999 03:48 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That's great! But will DTS provide them free of charge? If they don't, I guess no one will ever see them.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-07-1999 06:47 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had at least six copies of the DTS logo trailer since '93 and have never paid for them. I always get'em from our friendly tech, John Eikhoff of Northwest Theatre Equipment. Maybe he's paying for them? He's never said so, if he is.

lise hannibal
Film Handler

- posted 10-07-1999 09:41 PM      Profile for lise hannibal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, it's true, DTS is releasing its first new trailer in six years! It's called Sonic Landscape and it will start shipping with units Oct. 18. It's a very different approach from other trailers out there, and for those of you tired of the "clanging" you'll probably appreciate the subtlety of the new piece. It's only 18-secs 'cause we're trying not to hog valuable screen time and it's most definitely a response to audience feedback on trailers being too loud. About 15,000 are being shipped free of charge to our customer base and a mailing is going out next week to exhibitors worldwide. Would love to hear your feedback once y'all take a look and listen.

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-07-1999 09:59 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking forward to hearing it, lise. Thank you.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-08-1999 04:38 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also look forward to it. I assume that all the movie and trailer discs that come into the theatre normally will already have the sound on them by the 18th. I am also assuming that both the Sonic Landscape and the Flying CD tracks will both be on all discs for some time. Then hopefully soon the flying disc can be phased out completely.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: