Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Neutronic Platter Lighting

Author Topic: Neutronic Platter Lighting
Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-05-1999 02:37 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All my Neutronic platter threading lamps have burned out. I called our tech to order the bulbs and he said to go to an RV supply shop and buy them there since apparently they are the same size and type as those used in RV brake lights. I decided to remove one of the bulbs to take so I get the right size. Well, it wont come out! I have two questions:

1. How do I get the bulb out of the socket without destroying the wires?

2. Do I have to buy a whole new bulb and wire assembly?

The reason why I ask the second question is Neumade sells these particular pieces together for the lamp. I find it very stupid in that I would have to replace perfectly good wires for a simple burned out bulb.

Thanks for your advice.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-05-1999 07:01 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The solution is simple: Throw away those awful platters and buy some Potts or Christies.

But seriously, I do not know how to change the little light bulb in those platters, unfortunately.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-05-1999 08:11 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Joe, at times I would like to do that. Especially when static causes brain-wraps on them without even a hint that one is about to occur. I run Potts in three of our houses and they are a good platter. One thing that me and another projectionist on staff always bitch about is the lack of equipment uniformity! Hell, I run three types of platter systems, three types of lamphouses, three different models of Simplex projection and sound heads. Make it easy on me man! I want nine Potts platters, nine Kneisly lamphouses, nine Simplex X-L heads, and nine Simplex IPC sound boxes. Is that so hard! I don't even want to talk about amps, processors, etc, etc, etc!

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 10-05-1999 08:43 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I looked in my copy of the Neutronic platter (I keep wanting to type, "neurotic") and see item 7, part number 11-0106003. But no mention of the bulb; that's rather dumb. Anyway, it's a incandencent T-3 1/4" wedge base bulb, 14V @ 0.27 amps. GTE Sylvania #194.
I kinda like em', I guess I'd better, cause I gotta work with 8 of them. We finally added platter-wrap shut-offs, so I like them better now.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-05-1999 09:52 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wedge base bulbs should just pull right out. Sometimes if they are tough to pull straight out, then rock the bulb side-to-side as you pull it from the holder. If it uses #194 lamps, then those are the ones used in automobile DASHBOARD lights, not tail lights.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: