Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Lab etiquette

Author Topic: Lab etiquette
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-01-1999 08:08 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
And the wish list for labs:

• Please make sure ALL reels are facing the same direction. Ideally they should all be tails out.

• When using spliced raw stock, is there no way to ensure the splices end up on a frame line?

• Slow those printers down! Enough with the shaky movies! Lately it seems like all movies were shot by the Blair Witch people.

• When reprinting an older movie, please make the necessary adjustments in the color timing. I'm tired of seeing green movies.

I'm sure I'm leaving something off here.

By the way, did anyone hear of the second generation prints of "Double Jeopardy"? Apparently "reel 1" was actually reel 1 "A" and reel 4 "B". Oops.

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-01-1999 08:31 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about these ideas:

- Please print framelines at end-of-reel fadeouts or beginning-of-reel fadeins. Often, people cut off the last part of a trailer (including the fadeout!) because there are no printed frameines; similarly, almost all theatres seem to cut off the studio logo opening music and the first few frames of the fade-in at the start of reel 1. This really bothered me.

- Please ship trailers on 2" or 3" cores instead of those silly 1" plastic things.

- Please include longer head leaders (with framelines) and tail leaders on all reels; at the very least, have long head leaders on R1 and R4 and long tails on R3 and R6, which will accommodate users of large reels and platters.

- Please spell the title of the film correctly on the head and tail leaders...I'm tired of seeing stuff like "Shakespear in Love" printed on leaders...

Kelsey Black
Film Handler

- posted 10-02-1999 01:58 AM      Profile for Kelsey Black   Email Kelsey Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About the mis-spelling on leaders, I think the worst is when they put the incorrect title on the leaders, like the printing of "Mother's Day" on the leaders (and the can labels I believe) for "Stepmom"

how much brains does this take?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-02-1999 03:45 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think when they put another name for a movie in place of the real one, like "Mother's Day" for "Stepmom", "The Dish" for "Cable Guy", "31257" (I think) for "Lost World" on the cans, they are trying to deter print theft. Why anyone would want to steal "Stepmom" is beyond me.

But if the labs only chose to improve 1 thing and 1 thing only, it would have to be the printing speed. I don't know of anyone who got a steady print of "6th Sense". I am getting customer complaints up the wazoo about this, and so is every other theatre in my town. And lately just about every movie is "bob and weave city" simply because these people are printing too fast! There is absolutely no excuse for this and is amateur behavior. Now the entire industry is projecting unsteady images, even though on test film and older prints everything is nearly rock-steady.

John Pytlak, you know a great deal about the labs. What is up with this? Can ya yell at them for us? They are putting a bad image on the entire industry and it is absolutely imperative that they improve the way they print these films. Cost is not an issue, simply because if they keep going faster and faster then soon they will not have a job because the product is so shoddy and we are all watching the big TV! AAARRRGGGGG!!!!!!

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-02-1999 08:15 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to mention that both the leaders and the shipping envelopes for the "Star Wars" trailers were both labelled "She Stood Alone." Actually, I almost didn't even open the envelope...I saw it and thought "Hmm...I've never even heard of a film called 'She Stood Alone'...I'll just toss this in the 'old trailer box' in case we ever do book it." Fortunately, I remembered that the SW trailers were supposed to arrive that day...

Erika Hellgren
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-02-1999 06:29 PM      Profile for Erika Hellgren   Email Erika Hellgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the purposely mislabling trailers or movies point: I really wish they wouldn't do this! It's just asking for shipping mixups and newbie projectionists scratching their heads. If prints are being stolen too often, the problem lies in a lack of security, and calling "Alien 4" "Weaver" will not make the problem go away.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 10-02-1999 06:30 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually the 'title' for the version A SW:TPM trailer was 'Box Lunch'

And of course, TPM's 'secret title' was "Perfect Timing"

and some of the prints of 'Alien:Resurrection' that I handled were titled 'Weaven'

Aaron

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-04-1999 10:46 AM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't care what the studios call there films so long as I get the one I'm supposed to play! With Technicolor, you never know...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: