Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » New Technicolor reels?

Author Topic: New Technicolor reels?
Erika Hellgren
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-01-1999 06:30 PM      Profile for Erika Hellgren   Email Erika Hellgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did anybody else's prints this week come on a new type of reel? Two of my Technicolor prints were wound on a clearish plastic reel. They're still designed to come apart, but the way they fit together just looks a little more sturdy to me. I haven't had a chance to test their strength yet, but I'm curious if anyone else has gotten these, and what your opinions are about them.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-01-1999 07:46 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm. The first Technicolor reels (black) never held together in the first place. The second wave of them (gray) wobbles horribly on the spindle. How have these performed thus far?

Perhaps we should start placing bets as to how long these will last.

Tom Ferreira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-02-1999 12:19 AM      Profile for Tom Ferreira   Email Tom Ferreira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reels six and seven of my print of Mystery Alaska were shipped on these reels. They seem sturdy, but only have one drive hole. I have no idea why the whole print wasn't shipped on them. I believe Random Hearts is Sony, so we'll see if this trend towards new reels continues next week. This should also be a seven reel film, so maybe they're rolling them out gradually, replacing the worst of the worst. Fat chance, right? Of course, the point will be moot in about six months, when they fall apart as soon as you lift them out of the can.

------------------

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-02-1999 03:26 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The new Technicolor reels are physically similar to the 20th Century Fox reels, except that they are clear with a few other design differences. It doesn't seem like the reel can crack and slice your hand open. But these are very new. We'll discover their flaws in fits of anger over the next few months, I'm sure. But we can always hope for the best, right??

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 11-24-2001 04:53 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another bunch of TES reels came through, the nice white ones with no key ways in the hubs.

A cure out of anger was using a soldering pencil to make a key way.

While I was accomplishing this quick fix, this evil thought came into my mind about using the hot soldering pencil to cauterize the hemorrhoids of some of the TES personnel who made those stupid decisions about those cheap faulty reels.

Paul

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 11-25-2001 02:02 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, was there a keyway on the opposite side? I received several reels all with a keyway on only one side.

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2001 08:17 AM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those reels with no keyway are defective. I just throw them away just like I throw away any broken or damaged reel.

Call Technicolor and ask for replacement reels. Last time I did that, a Thursday night, Technicolor said I would receive reels by Monday. The reels actually arrived the following Thursday.

If I do not have a spare reel to replace the broken/defective one that reel ships out on core in a plastic bag.

Brad has a picture of the keywayless reel in another topic on this forum.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 11-25-2001 09:02 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, there were no key ways in the hub whatsoever.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: