Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Projection as a career? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Projection as a career?
Erich Loepke
Film Handler

- posted 09-30-1999 02:36 PM      Profile for Erich Loepke   Email Erich Loepke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With all the talk of digital "film" and low pay, is my thinking of starting out as a projectionist worthwhile these days? Should I expect to shovel popcorn between starting shows? I'm sure this has come up on this forum countless times, but what is the best way to get a start in this industry for someone like myself whose only experience with film is running 8mm and 16mm at home? Should I just walk in the local multiplex and see the manager? What can I expect from a money standpoint (please be honest!) I worked in the local theater about 10 years ago as a popcorn jockey. When I asked about working in the booth, I was told that it was nearly impossible for someone like me to get involved because of the union. You had to be an insider, I was told. Is this still true nowadays?
I'm really interested in the world of film and would like to learn to give a show free of the horror stories I've read on this and other film forums.
Thank you in advance for any advice.

|  IP: Logged

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-30-1999 05:31 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a general shortage of GOOD projectionists everywhere, a lot have left the industry, mainly due to poor pay and bad working conditions, it is a sad fact in this part of the film indudustry that projectionists are poorly paid.

My advice if you want to earn a good living and enjoy the job, try to work for some kind of Art House cinema that is Govenment funded , the work is varied they usually pay good rates or a good circuit owned cinema chains, while they are still out there, forget the 'Warehouse' style Pop corn film factories!.

The more experience you can get, the better chances of promotion.
the best payed projectionist jobs is in Preview Theatres or a Technical Manager or a projection engineer.

The BKSTS in the UK last year produced a well written Projectionist Training manual which is worth investing in.

Randy Loy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-01-1999 01:32 PM      Profile for Randy Loy   Email Randy Loy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ben,

I'm extremely interested in the training manual you mentioned. I've long been aware that it is very difficult to find modern projection training materials. I'm aware of the vintage stuff, such as "Richardson's Blue Book of Projection," but have not seen anything more recent with the exception of the SMPTE manual from 1969. Do you have any specifics on how to order a copy of the UK manual?

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-01-1999 06:08 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The BKSTS (The British Kinematograph Sound and Television Society) The Moving Image Society. The "Projectionists Manual" is priced about £40.00 plus postage, they can be contacted by e-mail or by the web.

e-mail movimage@bksts.demon.co.uk www.bksts.demon.co.uk

Edition 1.0 the one I have was printed in 1997

Erich Loepke
Film Handler

- posted 10-04-1999 12:57 AM      Profile for Erich Loepke   Email Erich Loepke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds to me like that "projectionists' manual" is well worth investing in. My real question is this: Since I am interested in learning how to do a decent job doing something I enjoy, is it worth my while to get myself started in this field when something like digital video projection is looming out there? I would sure hate to find out that I am finally enjoying my job when I'm suddenly replaced by a large-screen TV. That's my problem now with the field I'm in, namely electronics. I am full of useless, obsolete knowledge and find that I'm helpless to understand all this new computer based crap all over the drawing boards. Besides, I'm really much more of a mechanical person anyway. That's why I'm considering film projection as a possible next step. Also, it sounds to me like I wouldn't want to start at a place like AMC, et.al. because they don't expect quality from the booth anyway.

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-04-1999 05:27 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check out the topic (currently on Page 2) entitled "average projectionist pay".

Erich Loepke
Film Handler

- posted 10-04-1999 09:31 PM      Profile for Erich Loepke   Email Erich Loepke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read the other thread about this subject quite a while ago, but I took a second look. It seems like most of you are underpaid for the kind of work involved. You're not only pushing buttons up there. Right now I'd say that in my present field I earn more than the average projectionist. But there are always those of us out here that have all this money but hate our jobs (I'm one of those). I will definitely look into finding myself a job at a theater soon! Thanks to all of you who took the time to answer my questions!

Stephen Winner
Film Handler

- posted 10-06-1999 08:30 PM      Profile for Stephen Winner   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Winner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might try checking with some of the independant theaters, or second run houses in your area. I know an older friend at the theater I work at here that got me this job. Having some type of technical/film experience helps too. Here, you are not only a projectionist, but a general techie for the theater, since our theater is set up for live performances too, such as concerts and stuff.
I took this job as just a part time "fun" job to put a few extra spending bucks in my pocket...most of which has gone into my 16mm collecting hobby! After visiting the booth a few years back and getting the grand tour of the place, I asked if they were hiring, and they said they could work me in if I had some technical background!

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-07-1999 10:35 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Stephen. If your passion is motion pictures, you would probably be happiest in a smaller theatre (preferably a single screen - at least to start). I find, that the more screens you have to run, the more detached you become from the performance.

Don't get me wrong. The people who run these giant multiplexes work hard for their money (even Joe), but their attention to performance is divided amoung all these screens. (If ever I have a nightmare about the trade, it involves being a relief projectionist in one of these places, and being unable to find one or two of the booths.) The job, as some projectionists have described it to me, becomes one of working in a "film factory".

I don't know if I could take the stress of running one of these installations. I don't think I'd want to try.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-07-1999 10:51 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
C'mon Rick...where's the challenge? You could do it! Run down to your local 30 plex and ask to run a shift sometime! The most I've ever ran was 15 screens with no timers, but I still had plenty of time left over. If you gave me a 30 screen with timers, no problem. The presentation would NOT suffer.

Now if we were talking 30 screens of automated changeovers running 6000' reels with timers...THAT would be tricky! (but not impossible)

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-08-1999 07:43 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
with changeovers would be more lade back as the first reels would be threaded up long before the movie ended so there wouldn't be the mad rush to laceup at intermission

George Roher
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-09-1999 01:26 AM      Profile for George Roher   Email George Roher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, you must be superhuman. How can you run 15 screens without timers and still have time left over? I've been running 14 recently and it's insane.

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-10-1999 02:23 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really depends on the show schedule. At my theatre, we typically have an hour intermission on each house, so you have plenty of time to thread.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-12-1999 05:52 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After you do it a while it's easy to run many projectors. In fact, after a while anything else can get boring!

When my theate opened, there was 1 'guy' for every 2-3 projectors. (17 screens)
After a week or two, about HALF of them washed out to the usher and concession depts.
We ran with 3 people in the booth for about the next 6 mos. and for the rest of the year we had 2 ppl.

Now, one 'guy' opens the booth about an hour before 1st show. (12:30) The next guy doesn't come in till 2:00. The "opener" goes home at 6:00 and a "closer" comes in to help the 2:00 guy until he goes home at 10:30. After that the closer is solo for the rest of the night. (S)he has to clean all the machines and shut down at the end of the night.

Anybody who's "compentent" should be able to run 10 screens. (My opinion) As far as status boards and timers... never used 'em.

George Roher
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-12-1999 10:38 PM      Profile for George Roher   Email George Roher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're right, Randy. Any good operator should be able to handle 10 or fewer screens with decent results. However I prefer small houses, and I never get bored

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: