Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Cost Cutting

Author Topic: Cost Cutting
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-27-1999 08:33 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe everybody can help figure this out. Supposedly the economy is really good right now, for the most part. Yet everybody seems to be bending over backwards to cut costs as much as possible. Do a few pennies or dollars worth of profit really matter that much in the long run?

John Pytlak mentioned that labs do not put enough leader on the reels anymore due to cost cutting. I'm sure that the whole conversion to polyester film was cost-driven. You'll notice that most films are shipped on crummy plastic reels nowadays, instead of the more durable metal shipping reels. Depots are still using cans that are over 50 years old, and clearly not in good shape, just so they can save a few bucks by not having to buy new ones.

John also tells me that Kodak has developed anti-static film stock that also can endure an incredible amount of abrasion. The cost of the film stock? A few extra dollars per print, if even that. But the studios refuse to pay it. I'm sure that there are many more examples. I guess money is the only important thing, right?

|  IP: Logged

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-27-1999 09:29 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Granted, that the competition for the entertainment dollar is tough. Instead of having the more free time technology promised us, years ago, the general public has less free time than before.
To this end, theatres seem to have tried to cut their operations "to the bone" (elimination of union operators, fewer staff, more duties for the manager, ect.) instead of investing in the business to make it a truly viable entertainment option.
Looking back at this industry, from a hundred or so years in the future, students of twentieth-century history may be astounded as to why we did not make the most of the existing technology - such as 70 MM. (The true 70 stuff such as "Hamlet" and "Far And Away" or "Lawrence of Arabia" - not the 35 blow-ups of the 80's). Coupled with today's superior digital sound technology, the result would make digital projection much less of a threat than it currently is.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-27-1999 09:31 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, with movies like Dog Park hogging the number 1 slot in grosses...

Still, I must agree. Even Neumade's clear splicing tape widt has been trimmed ever so slightly. It now will not fit nicely in between the sprocket holes, but will cross through one! How much does that 2mm really save there??? If it turns out that I did NOT just happen to get a bad batch, I'm switching to another brand. That's how I look at cost cutting measures.

(And Neumade probably thought no one would notice and it wouldn't make a difference.)

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-27-1999 09:43 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have my personal thoughts on this subject that I don't think are appropriate for this forum.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-28-1999 02:10 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe --- just to clarify: the amount of leader on a print is a decision of the distributor. The labs would be happy to print and process a longer length of leader, as long as someone pays for it.

Also, Kodak has been providing the labs an antistatic process additive at our expense since early this year. It helps reduce "static cling" on both our film and that of other manufacturers. It sounds like many have noticed the improvement, and the few remaining recent "static cling" incidents have been due to "the learning curve" in labs getting the right concentration on the film. As you know, the platter type is part of the equation too, correlated with whether the platter surface is conductive, and at what angle the film is peeled from the inside of the feed roll.

The additional back-side improvements now being tested on Vision Color Print film likewise will be done without passing the added manufacturing cost onto our customers.

Pete Lawrence
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-28-1999 10:57 PM      Profile for Pete Lawrence   Email Pete Lawrence   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately in the film industry and many others (I'm in electronics) the undeniable truth is generally "Follow the Money". Even a few cents makes a difference. Be it short leaders, a few millimeters off the width of a roll of splicing tape, short staffing, or low pay for staff. Customer satisfaction, and product performance be damned! Get that extra few cents to make the corporate bottom line look good to the investors and stock analysists if your a publicly traded company! Very short sighted, but that's what it seems to be.
Now in the company I work for, a private corporation making RF test equipment, if a customer buys one of our units (custom made for them at $25,000 to $200,000 each) and doesn't like something, even the paint color (a very nice blue, by the way) we will take it back, NO QUESTIONS ASKED! No kidding! That's the real difference between a customer satisfaction driven company and a bottom line driven company! Very rare today. A sad comment on the state of the movie industry and others. But then the movie customers can't tell the difference anyway. Aren't they the ones who will sit through an entire feature that's scratched or out of focus without complaining?

Sorry folks, but I just had to get this off my chest.

Pete

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: