Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Tape both sides? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Tape both sides?
Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-26-1999 02:01 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, thanks to everyone who responded to my "Digital Poll". I passed the comments on to anyone who would listen at the recent Toronto International Film Festival.
During the Festival, a discussion developed as to when shipping out a print, should the leader, and tail-piece, be re-spliced to the reel using tape on both sides of the film or just one side.
One argument held that, since most theatres today use platters, it would make it more difficult for the next (real) projectionist to remove the tape. The other side of the coin was for the (reel) projectionist in single-reel rep houses who may have only time to run the film "out of the can". (Unfortunately, many of the films presented at the Festival will not enjoy main-stream distribution and will only be screened at these specialty houses). The possibility of the film "buckling" above the gate on a Super Simplex could cause no end of headaches.
What are your thoughts?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-26-1999 02:58 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I think perhaps Technicolor has the best solution. My print of "American Beauty" was "integrity inspected" by "Denise" and the leaders weren't spliced on at all! In fact, the leaders didn't even match the reel they were wrapped around!!! Denise should be a negative cutter.

Still I firmly back the single sided tape breakdown idea. If the next theater is platter ran, then it will save much time in building PLUS with only a single piece of tape on the film, the operator is more likely to peel the tape off and save the frame. With double sided splices, 99.9% of all operators will just cut the next frame over.

If the next theater happens to be reel to reel, most projectors will run a single sided splice through them just fine. I can't imagine a theater not having enough time to add a second side to the splices for reel 1 before projection. During reel 1, the operator can check the other reels. Also, I can't imagine anyone going on screen without a print inspection (although it happens every day). And what print wouldn't get there until 5 minutes before showtime??? (Oh wait, I forgot...Technicolor prints. )

Regardless of the method the next theater transports the film, I think a single sided splice is still the best way to go. And if I find out who's using masking tape, I'm gonna hunt you down!

Erika Hellgren
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-26-1999 05:03 PM      Profile for Erika Hellgren   Email Erika Hellgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you think about it, even if you are running reel to reel, isn't a one sided splice, made with clear splicing tape, better than:
- a two sided splice made with that horrible sticky zebra tape.
- two refrence frames cut off, one of them being held to the other with a single sided splice, and that one being held to the rest of the reel with a double sided splice (I HATE THAT!).
- a used piece of zebra tape from the trash holding the head or tail on.
- masking tape (UHG!).
- nothing (like Brad mentioned).
- Elmer's glue

I think when you look at the alternatives, you feel lucky when you get a print with a single sided clear splice.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-26-1999 05:43 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Toronto's rep houses they run up to 3 different features a day and the prints usually arrive just before showtime like 6pm
The projectionist arrives usually around 6:30 for a 7pm show
Print revision is not practicle and they do have the right to expect playable prints.
Good splicing tape like supertran, JackRoe(marble CPI) will peel off quite nicely from both sides so I don't see a problem

The obligation of the last user is to have the print leave their theatre in playable condition

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-27-1999 07:21 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sort of indifferent on this point, particularly since getting a print with the leaders spliced on at all was a rare enough event that I usually jumped for joy when I received such a print. (OK, not really, but you get the idea).

The single-sided splices were easier to peel when making up 6000' reels. On the other hand, I always returned prints with two-sided splices, mostly because I tend to believe in the idea that the print should leave the theatre in "ready to show" condition.

My personal favorite shipping configuration would be tails-out, leaders spliced on both sides. That makes for easy inspection without needing to rewind the print twice. Personally, I sent prints back heads-out (with each reel clearly labelled with the title, reel number, picture format, sound format, and "HEAD"), though, so I can't really complain.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-27-1999 10:31 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's an odd one. I recently got an old IB print of something. The original leaders were there (!)
There were 18 spliced frames in a row with generous amounts of tape. It would have run on the Holmes, but why risk it?
Why were people too lazy to peel off the tape?

I just aquired a Bell & Howell 16/35 hot splicer. It is a beauty. Just needs a total cleaning. Any opinions on this monster? Even the neon lamp is working.

When I worked in the film dept in TV, we routinely sent prints out that were in better shape than when they arrived. Thats why when I inspect, it takes awhile, but I dont get suprises on the first showing.

But in the real world, you get prints for 16-24 or more theaters. My inspection ways take too long.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-27-1999 05:13 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm for the one sided taping. I work in a cinema where we regularly run BOTH on 2k and 6k spools. It takes next to no time to splice the extra side on the leader and if it breaks on the tail, who cares? No-one will see it happen and it most likely won't.

It makes making up to 6k's such a shorter task, and the fact that most of us are on platters or at least 6k's that it most definately the way to go.

As for prints arriving late, it doesn't take too long to throw a splice across spl 1 then do the rest as you go. If it arrives late and you're supposed to get it onto a plate, you'll be glad of the forethoughted single sided splicer that had your print before you.

------------------
John

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-28-1999 01:08 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We run older rep stuff here, from both old & new prints, on a platter.

I've found that on many prints, splicing tape on the emulsion side will often try to take the emulsion with it when peeled off.

Older prints & newer prints frequently come here with spliced leaders, indicating that they've been made up on platters or big reels before. And it's most likely that the next place they go they'll be made up for platters or big reels.

So my take has been that the most responsible way of sending them back out is with splicing tape on one side only, the base side, to reduce splice-peeling & handling injury when they're next run.

At first the idea bothered me a little because anyone running single reels would be at a disadvantage, but it seems the best way since:

1. The next place the print goes will have a 95% chance of being a house that removes the leaders again anyway

2. It's better for the print

3. The houses running 2k reels by now MUST be expecting that a print last came from a platter house & should be inspected for mismatched leaders, funky splices, etc.

The point about it not being much trouble to slap a piece of tape on the other side of a one-sided splice sorta makes me feel better about this approach.

------------------
William Hooper <wjh@mindless.com>
Junk drawer: http://www.geocities.com/hollywood/theater/3622

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-29-1999 05:46 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I only run films on reel-to-reel projectors once or twice a year. (Maybe) I just figure that no matter what kind of projector I work on, the first thing I need to do is INSPECT my print.

There are a lot of people who don't do a very good job of breaking down and I am forced to fix a lot of those bone-headed mistakes. Frankly, I'm SURPRISED when I get a film that has the heads and tails spliced on the right way!

Maybe people on this forum could come up with a list of 'rules of ettiquite'?? (sp?)

Mark Tiedemann
Film Handler

- posted 09-29-1999 08:08 PM      Profile for Mark Tiedemann   Email Mark Tiedemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the correct way of re-attaching heads/tails. In my company rule book it says to use masking tape to reattach them.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-29-1999 09:19 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, you've definitely got my attention. What company do you work for???

Mark Tiedemann
Film Handler

- posted 09-29-1999 10:28 PM      Profile for Mark Tiedemann   Email Mark Tiedemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carmike Cinemas.

Another note, (off-topic). I just want to say that I appreciate all of the information in this forum. When I first started working with projectors, everyone taught me to do things the in-correct way. (ie, masking tape to re-attach leaders, building prints straight from the cans, etc.) Basicly the way that I was taught was speed vs. quality. Which is totatly disagree with. The people are spending $7 on movies and I want them to see a great performance. In the past 3 months I have been on here I have learned alot, things that my trainers have failed to tell me. Now it's just the matter of convincing (sp?) my other managers to start caring about the perfromance. (Which is probably another reason why Carmike gets a bad rep in the industry).

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-30-1999 02:27 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carmike is pretty big. They used to be the largest awhile ago. This would probably explain some of the "masking tape" prints out there.

I am glad to see that you have rebelled against Carmike and care about presentation quality anyway. Perhaps they can learn from your good judgement. Or maybe they will fire you simply for caring. Let's hope it's the first one, since they are a fairly large company.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-30-1999 07:59 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My experience with Carmike is that they are the only chain that makes AMC look good. They owned two houses (one 4-plex and one 7-plex) in the same town as the place where I used to work. These theatres were late-70s builds that had been chopped up to add additional screens, and the booths were filled with junk equpmnet (run-down Simplex X-L's, AW-2 platters, Kintek sounds systems, etc.; one screen in each theatre had a DTS unit slapped on top of the 4-channel Kintek system so that they could advertise "DIGTIAL SOUND!!!" even though it sounded worse than our analog sound, using an upgraded CP-50 and the Voice of the Theatre speakers from the 1950s). Their screens were tiny, with fixed masking. Aperture plates for most houses were cut so sloppily that it was not uncommon to see both top and bottom framelines with scope films.

Anyway, I was lucky enough to only have to deal with a couple of prints from the local Carmike houses...they both arrived with (I kid you not) what looked like popcorn grease ALL OVER the film--every reel! Leaders were masking-taped on (often with the soundtrack side of the leader opposite the soundtrack side of the film), and the reels were not well labelled.

OK, I realize that not all Carmike houses are this bad, but I was sort of amused at how two run-down theatres with tiny screens and lousy presentations still managed to do good business. Argh.

Erika Hellgren
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-01-1999 06:25 PM      Profile for Erika Hellgren   Email Erika Hellgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad had a good idea about making a list of etiquette when tearing down prints. I thought I would list a few of my grievences, and encourage everyone else to do the same. I not only want to educate others out there about the simple things you can do to make the next projectionist's life easier, but I also want to learn about things I can do, that I'm not already doing. Here are some things that irk me:
- It's been said before, but masking tape should not be used at all with film.
- I don't really find it necessary to use tape (any kind) to attach the reel band to the head or tail, you can just tuck it under the film a few inches then wrap it around and it should stay snug as long as the string is holding it tight. (I hope that made sense)
- This is in response to the two used prints of American Beauty I built up today: please, please, please do not mark frame lines with magic marker!!! Especially when the frame lines are so easy to see If you have trouble finding them (which we all do occasionally), you can use a film counter, or hold your place with your fingernail on the edge of the film until you can cut it. Marking them with a pen can cover up the digital and sometimes bleed into the picture. Not to mention the fact that it's just plain tacky!
- I know I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but I really find that more than one reference frame is unnecessary. (Hopefully, at least one person will back me up on that).

That's all I can think of right now, but I'm sure other people have suggestions, and I'm anxious to hear them.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: