Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » "double Jepardy"

Author Topic: "double Jepardy"
Art Averett
Film Handler

- posted 09-24-1999 08:24 PM      Profile for Art Averett   Email Art Averett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Double Jepardy started today, and I happened to watch reel 5. All of a sudden the picture "washed out" and the screen white. The dialog was still there. I did get the manager to order a new reel 5. Has anyone else seen a simular problem with this movie?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-24-1999 08:52 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It happens from time to time at the labs. Typically it is around a lab splice, where they are saving money by splicing ends of reels together to make more rolls of raw stock. It isn't specifically related to this movie. I see it a couple of times a year.

If anyone knows specifically what causes this, I would love to know for my own curiosity.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-29-1999 11:52 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Typically it is around a lab splice, ...."

A familiar saying, these days!
Almost all of the bad reels have a lab splice and then some problem. Find the lab splices and you find 90% + of the bad reels!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-30-1999 02:35 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
99% of the time, you can spot a reel that has a lab splice in it right as you pull it out of the can. Just look for anything that looks like "film stock change" or a change in tone or color when you look at the reel. That is usually where the lab splice is. Do be aware, though, that the first 150 feet or so and the film around the hub cannot be seen easilly in this method, and you should use caution when loading these parts of the reel as a lab splice can go by unnoticed.

I say we save all removed lab splices. When we have literally tons upon tons of them, we send them back to the labs as a Christmas "gift", complete with a "Thank you we love you" card!

Art Averett
Film Handler

- posted 09-30-1999 08:25 AM      Profile for Art Averett   Email Art Averett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the reply's. When I inspected this print, there were no lab splices around the area the print was washed out. There were two splice lines that appeared on screen. I did receive a new reel 5 from Deluxe and I compliment them for prompt service. I did re-inspect the old reel 5 and there were no lab splices. I still thank all for the replies. I have been working projection for 31 years and still learn something new every day. I'm one of the old time projectionist that learned with carbon arcs and changeovers.

Bill Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-30-1999 10:48 AM      Profile for Bill Carter   Email Bill Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's been a very steady decline in the general quality of release printing over the past several years. Labs are so concerned with cutting costs now, they generally don't replentish processing chemistry until it is totally depleted. In other words, until it doesn't have enough strength to resolve an image on the film any more. Even if there's only enough left to process two or three hundred feet, they won't waste it.

They'll let the roll keep going until there's no longer an "acceptable" image, then make a splice and pick it up there after replentishing the chemicals. The result is either a "white out", or a shift to some ugly color, depending on which chemical step was exhausted.

Years ago, most labs would reprint a reel free on request if they made 2 or more splices in it. Now, there's no such deal. It's fairly tough to get most labs to fix any of their mistakes without paying for a reprint. They certainly aren't going to call your attention to their mistakes, and the distributors aren't going to individually inspect 2000 new release prints when they're rushing to meet a release date.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-01-1999 01:15 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The image going clear in the middle of a reel usually would be due to a brief failure of the printer lamp (or power supply), or a miscue causing the fader to close. In most cases like this, the soundtracks would continue, as they are printed by separate heads on the printer.

Normally these obvious problems are caught, as the processing machines usually have a projection system to inspect the image as the film winds up. A certain percentage of prints are also inspected on high speed projectors or inspection machines.

Lab splices are an unfortunate, but necessary, economic reality for the labs. The raw stock is usually supplied as 4000-foot or 6000-foot lengths, and most reels are not exact increments of these lengths. If a lab was printing three 1800-foot reels on a 6000-foot roll of raw stock, they would waste a 600-foot "short end" worth about $50.00 if they didn't use lab splices.

Most labs are very good in maintaining control of the processing chemistry and sensitometry.

The Association of Cinema and Video Laboratories (ACVL) publishes a "Handbook of Recommended Procedures for Motion Picture and Video Laboratory Services" for its members, including such items as laboratory splices. It says: "There should never be two raw stock splices in the same reel. It is further recommended that spliced raw stock not be used for trial prints, dailies, TV spots, or recording prints. It is customary practice to charge a premium for release prints that have no raw stock splices".

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: