Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Survey...very important, please read (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Survey...very important, please read
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-24-1999 08:03 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I am conducting a survey here for everyone in the US who has to deal with the Technicolor film shipping depot.

A couple of years ago, I was told by a fellow by the name of Joe Habbermell at Technicolor that I was to "play whatever damn print he sent me". Needless to say, this was over an extremely poor used print that had played once at a screening and had green scratches...he would NOT replace it. According to him, it "would be impossible for a print to be scratched and damaged from just one run". I don't know if this (colorful metaphor removed) person is still with the company, but I get the feeling I am still on his dump list for daring to climb the chain of command further than the ladies who answer the phones at 4 in the morning. In short, I get used screener prints ALL THE TIME! In most cases, they are damaged beyond the presentation standards of my theater and must be replaced.

In the 5 or so years TES has been around, perhaps 3 or 4 used prints have been acceptable. The reason is these trade screening theaters KNOW they will receive a brand new print come the opening date and they just RIP the thing off the platter and pay NO CARE WHATSOEVER to the film's handling. Most used prints have scratches after ONE RUN!

So let's put this in simple terms. A given movie has perhaps a dozen prints made which are circulated around for various trade and press screenings. Then comes the actual release date with a few THOUSAND prints. What are the odds every other print sent to my theater will be a used screener print? I mean REALLY...WHAT ARE THE ODDS???

At this point, I would like to point out that in the 5 years of ETS's existence I have only received ONE used screener print from the ETS depot. Seriously, doesn't that sound more like realistic odds to receive a used screener print?

Therefore, would everyone please respond to this thread as to what your individual theaters receive. Bear in mind, a major release which was "sneaked" the weekend before should not count, as typically half of the prints are used. I'm talking about FIRST RUN theaters opening the movie on the ORIGINAL BREAK date without nationwide sneaks the weekend before. Also remember, I am referring specifically to the hideous orange cans containing reels that won't stay together that are a staple trademark of the Technicolor depot. Please keep responses similar to the ones below and make them all in respect to Technicolor depot prints.

*Never get used prints (this is the one I'm betting everyone will respond with)

*Perhaps one used print a year

*Receive used prints all the time

Your assistance will be GREATLY appreciated in proving a point! Thank you all.

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 09-24-1999 09:19 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, in my experience with first run prints from TES, I can honestly say that I have got a used print once. And it was in pretty good condition. However for prints of other features(sub run or wide-release 'art' product) the prints usually SUCK!

Aaron

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-24-1999 10:20 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We usually get new prints. The only time I remember getting used prints was for shows we opened after the release date. The only exception was Blair Witch Project, which was screened (and scratched) by AMC Ward Parkway the day before we got it.

Art Averett
Film Handler

- posted 09-24-1999 10:31 PM      Profile for Art Averett   Email Art Averett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have receiceved used prints from Technicolor and sometimes I have had to ask for replacement reels due to damage from another theater. Today I had a print of 13th Warrior to go back and because a shipping label was missing off of a shipping can, the pick-up person did not want to take it. He told me that Technicolor is starting to refuse pick-up if there are no labels/or a label missing or damaged. Had to get the manager involved to get the print shipped out. Also, Technicolor is very particular to give out info as to when and where a used print has been shown and the theater you work in receives it damaged. If you do receive a damaged print, the only thing left to do is request a replacement. Some how though, it's not enough to curb this problem.

Erika Hellgren
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-24-1999 10:43 PM      Profile for Erika Hellgren   Email Erika Hellgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We almost always get new prints. The only time we'll get used prints is for open captioned prints, or trade screenings.

But I'm not spoiled, I know what it feels like to deal with used prints week in and week out. I used to build up prints onto 7000's for the president and vice president of UA once upon a time, and those were almost always used.

George Roher
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-24-1999 10:53 PM      Profile for George Roher   Email George Roher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have almost never gotten a used TES print for the opening day of a mainstream Hollywood movie.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-25-1999 03:19 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rarely do I get a used print from TES. They still suck, though. I have often had problems that occured at the lab, and customers have to watch the bad reels sometimes for the whole weekend because we can't order replacements soon enough, since the prints come in at the very last possible minute. If only the prints came in earlier. Also, since so many studios use TES these days, there is far too much filmwork to do on Thursday nights. Therefore the same level of attention cannot be given to the prints as they used to be, and you get rushed build-ups and it is the audience who suffers, along with the studios.

Thomas Ferreira
Film Handler

- posted 09-25-1999 09:37 AM      Profile for Thomas Ferreira   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Ferreira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In dealing with TES since their inception as film distributors, the only used print I've gotten on the national break was Thomas Crown. I still can't figure out why they pulled prints after a sneak, when most of the venues that sneaked it had it booked anyway. The broken reel problem is my biggest complaint. I can't tell you how pissed I was last week when making up Love of the Game and I sliced my finger open on a shattered reel that there was absolutely no excuse for them to use. By the way, when does everyone receive their prints? I usually get TES prints at 4:00 on Thursday afternoon, which is adequate build up time if I'm not running mats, but everything else(Paramount, WB, New Line, etc.), is delivered by a direct courier that also delivers our concession supplies. These prints usually show up anywhere between 7 PM and 2 AM on Thursday night, which is inconvenient. I for one would love to have all Friday breaking prints on Wednesday.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-26-1999 12:02 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas,

I'd love to know where you are located. This is the first I've ever heard of an ETS print not being at the theater on Wednesday or at least in plenty of time. Perhaps you are in a small town far away from the depot where everything must be trucked in?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-26-1999 04:04 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ETS ships prints on Wednesday? That's news to me. We always got the ETS prints via Highway Films on Thursdays. The one exception was one of our rare first-run engagements, when "Elizabeth" arrived on a Tuesday prior to a Friday opening...

Erika Hellgren
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-26-1999 05:12 PM      Profile for Erika Hellgren   Email Erika Hellgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to confess that I don't get ETS prints on Wed either At my old theatre, which is only about 6 miles from where I work now, we used to get them on Wed without fail. But, I think I can understand the delay - Denver Shipping handles all the ETS deliveries for the entire Denver Metro area, and we have ... let me count ... at least 25 theatres in our city, two of those being 24 plexes. Although, on the other side of the coin, ETS doesn't deal with as many studios as TES, so ... Plus, since we are a 16, we should take precident over the 5's and 6's. Oh well, TES still bites

Thomas Ferreira
Film Handler

- posted 09-26-1999 10:15 PM      Profile for Thomas Ferreira   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Ferreira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I know, all of the prints in New Hampshire, where I am, as well as most of Vermont and Massachusetts, with the exceptions of TES prints, are delivered by Gene Boyle, and have been for years. I'm not sure what Boyle's routine is for Mass., but NH and VT have always been Thursday. Still, if quality service counts for anything, I'd still rather have all my prints delivered by Boyle than by Technicrap. At least if there's a problem with delivery, I can can someone who knows what he's talking about. I've never had a problem with Boyle or his drivers-I'd rather use them than Airborne any day.

------------------
Tom Ferreira
Manager/Projectionist
Claremont Cinema
Claremont, NH

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-29-1999 11:40 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At TT17 we almost always get brand new prints. (Unless it's a re-booking or a sneak.)

Last used prints we got were:
Outside Prividence. (We got it second week instead of opening.)
Thomas Crown Affair (Sneak)
Ideal Husband (Late booking & a re-booking)

All of them except the re-book of Ideal Husb. were in good condition. (Obviously used but clean as can be expected and well-spliced & no scratches, except for an occasional thin, black one but it only lasts for 1 min or less.)

However...
Love of the Game, Stigmata, Stir of Echoes and one other one that I can't remember ALL had to have reels replaced. I've been "yelling" at everybody to inspect every foot of all TES prints upon build-up, lately because there seems to be a 'rash' of crummy prints lately. (Maybe a new hire in the lab?)

To their credit... the reels come when they say they will and we have had no 'missed pick-ups" in about the last year.

We started keeping a log of all film deliveries and pick-ups. -- When they called us an asked/hollered at us, "WHERE'S OUR PRINT OF.......", we just fired back, "That was shipped on 9/29/99 @ 12:45PM & 'Joe Blow' was the driver....." --- They quit calling us MONTHS ago and we haven't heard a peep out of them since! (Maybe we should start logging crappy reels, too!)

Rick Uhlhorn
Film Handler

- posted 10-31-1999 08:35 PM      Profile for Rick Uhlhorn   Email Rick Uhlhorn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We always get new prints and very old and broken reels. I work at a GCC 10 plex in Austin, Texas

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 11-01-1999 03:33 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in Connecticut, we use Technicolor and Rosen for film deliveries.
Techincolor seems to give us good prints, but with reels that fall apart (same complant other have mentioned.)
We are also saving a few bucks by having Rosen deliver all prints (for about 6 theaters) to one location, and then the managers or somebody has to bring them to their own theater (I'm not sure if we are doing this with Technicolor, too.)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: