Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Are there too many theatres?

Author Topic: Are there too many theatres?
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-24-1999 05:44 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I'm sure many of you have noticed, our industry is in quite of a slump right now. Some theatre companies are going bankrupt, while others are either getting ready for it or making severe cutbacks. Supposedly business was down quite a bit from last summer.

But do you think that it could be because we have oversaturated our market with so many theatres? A year ago, everywhere I turned there was a new theatre being constructed. Huge gigantic megaplexes, with up to 24 screens each. Does the world really need a place with so many screens in one building? I don't think so. Every once in a while, a company will close an older "unprofitable" theatre, but they usually stay open because they sign leases that they can't escape. I've heard of leases so high that even if they sold out the entire building every show 7 days a week, the profit would barely be there if even at all.

But with so many new theatres, the customer base is being dispersed. Now instead of selling out half of your auditoriums on Saturday night, they are half full at best, while all of the other people that WOULD HAVE been there are at other theatres, which are also not full, making the new theatre a disaster.

Another drawback of all of this is that projector manufacturers cannot keep up with the demand. So the products get really bad or they just drop in quality overall. Remember Christie projectors from 7 or more years ago? They were great! And the prototypes of what they have offered for the last few years are outstanding! But the actual production models are where you can really see that they are pumping them out way too fast. It's not just Christie, either. It's just about everybody. When my theatre was built, we could not order Neumade splicers, they were completely backlogged. At the Telluride Film Festival, we had trouble getting Xekote for the same reason (but that's OK with me since I hate the stuff).

Any comments on this?

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-24-1999 01:35 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Joe I have a few comments:

First, I do believe the market is over saturated with theaters. Thats obvious from the growth of Regal Cinemas over the past, oh, I'd say eight years. They are building so many theaters so quickly that its played hell with the independents. Not to be out done, Regal's closest competitors also have their own building boom. Here, I think companies like Cinemark are probably a bit more cautious about the type of environment they're about to enter into, but they are also expanding quickly. I was shocked to find out a few months ago that Carmike is buying up older, smaller Wal-Mart stores and converting these into theaters. You ask if the world really needs a 24 plex theater to see movies and your answer is NO, I agree with that answer. One reason why I think Hollywood is putting out some AWFULL PRODUCTS is just to keep something on each screen of these monsterplexes!

Now here is where we differ in opinion. You feel that with so many screens in one area, the customer base is dispersed and not one theater can reach full capacity. I think people go to where they can take in the most activities on a Saturday night. For example: here in extreme Western Pennsylvania we are located only 12 miles from Youngstown, Ohio. There are more activities in the Youngstown area than you'll find in our small post-industrial community of New Castle. Our theater does OK, and even sells out (mostly teens and young adults), but many New Castle people who drive head to the Youngstown area where the night-life is much, much better. A friend of mine worked at a theater in Youngstown and reported to me that he was selling out when we were selling out. In my opinion, it comes down to product.

Equipment. If something is good, some pimple-faced engineer fresh out of college finds a way to f**k it up! I won't disagree that the building boom in theaters is causing companies like Christie and Neumade to cut back on their quality control, but I will say that these same companies will try to maximize profits while they know the getting is good. As a result, cost goes up while craftmanship goes down.

I could go on and on in this area but will see what others say.

Aaron

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-24-1999 06:14 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The herd is most definatly thinning. A month ago we closed the theatre that was, 6 years ago, our largest and busiest theatre. Over the last couple of years this theatre attendance dropped to as little as 20 people a day. My theater, a six month old 20 plex, is suffering on attendance as well (of course, our "terrorist" incident didn't help matters).

As for the company, we showed what was, apparently, our first loss ever (and it was pocket change) and everyone is in panic mode. However, some smaller chains (like AMC) and showing hugh loses each quarter. All these are due to over expansion.

While it is real easy to book a 6 or an 8 with quality product, it is not so easy to book a 20 screen with quality stuff. It is always funny when Ac Neision call s us and out groses range anywhere from $3000 to $12.

My prediction is that there wwe will see several "mergers" within the next couple of years. Basically healthy chains swallowing unprofitable ones for pennys on the dollar. Hollywood has already been swallowed by a company that was not even a third it's size, and this will not be the end.

Erika Hellgren
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-24-1999 10:11 PM      Profile for Erika Hellgren   Email Erika Hellgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seven years ago I was working at the "premier" theatre in my city. We were a twelve plex and were the busiest theatre that United Artists had. We were just a few blocks away from UA's world headquarters, so we were their pride and joy. Francis Ford Coppola even decided to have his premier of Bram Stoker's Dracula at our theatre. Then, a few years later, UA built a six plex in a mall rather close to us, and THEY would open the big movies while we got crap. Then when the attendence died down on those big movies, they gave the prints to us. Suddenly, out of nowhere, the best theatre in town had become a second-run theatre! And all the while, theatres kept popping up all around us. Any given person in the city was most certainly living within walking distance of a movie theatre. By the time I left that UA 12 plex two years ago, it was a dump; and had the least business of any multiplex of its size. Oh, and the six plex I mentioned above ... UA built another 12 plex literally right across the street from it, and now the 6 is closing down. Gee, I didn't see that one coming at all! These companies can't continue to deny that this is out of control.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-24-1999 10:23 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mann Theaters has filed Chapter 11 protection and now General Cinemas is closing a bunch of theaters in Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Seattle according to the latest issue of weekly VARIETY.

George Roher
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-24-1999 11:26 PM      Profile for George Roher   Email George Roher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So many theatres, so little employment for the people who know how to run theatres! Are there too many theatres? YES! I would rather companies ran a few places right instead of smothering us with putrid crap. And there are too many "monsterplex" theatres. I like the idea of driving to different parts of town to see different kinds of movies in a lot of small theatres.

But what are you gonna do? The studios own the theatres once again, companies are slowly merging into a single theatre chain, Cinecomm wants to be the sole provider of projection gear in the future... There is not going to be any competition in the industry, and therefore no reason to provide a quality experience. Wherever you go to see a film, the same people will profit. We're all going to be crammed into Scott Norwood's basement when we want to see a good film

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-24-1999 11:53 PM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Found the mentioned topic interesting reading, Australia is usually about 12 months behind wht happens in the U.S, but I agree what you guys say.Here at the moment well in my part of the country new multiplexs are still being built and I can gather the same is going on in the other states of oz as well.Even now there is a glut of theatres. Reading Entertainment Aust are building or are going to build more screens including one in the city I live. There is already a 11 screen Village Roadshow plex, and Readings are currently building a 8 screen but that shouldnt affect the excisting plex as the population is large enough to support two sites but I wouldnt want to see any more built as the population is not large enough to support another. Bussiness in Melbourne and suburbs is strong at the moment but I expect that will change as these new plex,s come on line in Melbourne suburbs.At the moment no multiplexes have closed yet! but time will tell if anything in the U.S is to go by.

------------------

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-25-1999 08:38 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
George - feel free to visit (but call first!). It'll be a couple more weeks before I get the 35mm stuff installed, though. It appears that I am rapidly accumulating a lot of ancient RCA and Simplex equipment and going broke on shipping charges. Eventually (next month or so), I'll have a setup that includes two Super Simplexes with RCA soundheads, 1kw or 1600 xenon lamphouses, mono sound, and borderline decent lenses. I'll send photos to Brad. Of course, I'm still waiting on some of this stuff to be shipped, and I'll have to rebuild it when it arrives, so don't hold your breath. In the meantime, I have a decent Elmo 16mm setup (only one working projector at the moment, though)...

AndrewBurnell
Film Handler

- posted 09-25-1999 08:59 AM      Profile for AndrewBurnell   Email AndrewBurnell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree! Here in our small part of Australia we already have over 7 theatres in the one town. Propositions have already been made for another two 8 plexes. The paper was saying that for all cinemas to cope with the new additions people would have to go to the movies 12 times more a year then what they are now or most theatres will go bust. Fingers crossed it wont be mine!

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-27-1999 11:29 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have thought that this too. The town I work in had at best I can remember, 7,5,6,8,6,20 first run screens and 10 second run screens. Today it is 24,7,5,6,20 with the second run. And there are more theatres within a 5-10 minute drive.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: