Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Internet Hook-Up in Our Booth

Author Topic: Internet Hook-Up in Our Booth
Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-12-1999 02:08 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I don't have all the information yet, so what do you guys think:

Thursday night I recieved, from our film booker of all people, a used Macintosh Centris 610 computer for our 9 screen booth. We have been using computers to compile booth records for over three years. Recently our old Macintosh Performa bit the dust. I now want to get the internet upstairs so we can consult this page at work.

The computer itself dates from 1995 and is in pretty good condition. It does not have a built in modum, but I was given a 33.6 bps Fax modum as a constalation prize for taking it off this guy's hands. Can I get on-line with this antiquated machinery? Some tell me no, others yes. I don't want a web page, I don't plan on downloading pictures, I just want the forum at the cinema so myself and other projectionists on staff can have access to it in our work environment. Some advise, please.

Thank You.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-12-1999 02:42 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I would think that would work just fine for text use such as this forum. However, I know nothing about Macs. Joe Redifer would probably be able to assist you in that area (if you can get him away from his new video game).

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-12-1999 08:09 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is getting a bit off-topic, but I'll post it anyway in hopes that some readers here will find the information useful.

First, I know next to nothing about Macs (the last time I used one, most of them still had B&W monitors...). Regardless, though, most any type of computer (including the Apple II that I still have) can run what is called a "terminal emulation" program. This allows you to dial up to a text-based service such as a library's electronic card catalog.

Anyway, if you have a terminal emulation program (there should be plenty of freeware implementations available for download) that can emulate a DEC vt-100 or some other common terminal, you can get what is known as a "UNIX shell account" with your local ISP. This is a text-only method of Internet access. Shell accounts are usually used by people with old hardware, blind people (who use text-to-speech conversion devices) and those of us who are unusually geeky. A shell account differs from a typical ISP account (known as "SLIP" or "PPP" accounts) in that you dial up the ISP and then use your terminal emulation software to run various programs on your ISP's computer, as if you were sitting in front of it. Anyway, from your shell account, you can run something called "lynx," which is a text-based web browser; it's not as cute as Netscape, but it's much faster and you may well prefer it (I do). With lynx, you can access any web site, including this one, although you won't see the graphics.

Sorry for being so long-winded; hopefully, this will be helpful if your machine isn't powerful enough to run Netscape over a SLIP or PPP connection.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-12-1999 09:12 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know nothing about your particular Mac. I used an OS2 computer to get online in the booth when I was at UA. I would be chatting online and the vice-president would walk up. I just told him I was screwing around. Didn't seem to concern him. I liked that.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-13-1999 07:49 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm mostly a lurker here, as I'm not in the film business, but you hit my area of expertise here.

You do have an old Mac there. Looks like it runs at a mighty 25-mHz. You can get on the Internet with this machine with a standard PPP account from any ISP and an older version of Netscape, probably 2.x. I've got a couple of hundred similar machines running this configuration in my school district.

You might want to look around for a Macintosh Users Group in your area. They can be very helpful, and can help get you up and running. You might also need to add RAM...the original configuration of this machine was 4-mB of RAM.

Mark "The Computer Guy" Lensenmayer

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-13-1999 08:00 AM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks All!

How much RAM are we talking about?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-13-1999 11:22 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Iuse OS2 on my network with netscape and have had no problems via a PPP acount

Ed Johnson
Film Handler

- posted 09-13-1999 10:51 PM      Profile for Ed Johnson   Email Ed Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I am not an expert on Macs, I have some experience with them. The Centris 610 is getting up there in years, but I think you should be able to run netscape. There are only two things that would hinder this:

1) Not enough RAM. As was stated before, the Centris has 4mb of RAM soldered on to the mother board standard. It also has to 72 pin slots for expansion. Check About this Macintosh (or whatever it is) at the top of the Apple menu to find out how much RAM you have. 8 mb is good. 16 is great.

If you don't have enough physical memory, you can get by with a large amount of Virtual Memory, which uses the hard disk. This is easier and cheaper than install more RAM, but it will cost you in the speed department. Hopefully you have more than 4 megs of RAM so this won't be too much of an issue.

2) Hard drive space may be an issue. Netscape takes up a lot of room on the disk. The standard hard disk on a Centris 610 is 80 mb. If that's all you have, netscape will take up the majority of it.

Anyway, it's possible. I've seen netscape run on a Mac II si (which is considerably slower) with few problems.

As mentioned before, you may want to find a old version of Netscape. While it won't support Java and all the newest bells and whistles, it will occupy much less space and run at a more tolerable speed.

Just my two cents.

Stephen Jones 1
Film Handler

- posted 09-14-1999 02:15 AM      Profile for Stephen Jones 1   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Jones 1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You shouldn't have any problems using an older Centris, I could run the internet on an Mac LC III made in '92 with 4 MB of RAM and 160 MB of hard disk. Takes a while to load but I don't think you're looking for speed anyway. BTW, has anyone heard about the new Apple G4s. They outperform a 400 MHz Pentium III by about twice the speed and have been classified by the US Gov't as a supercomputer... for $2500. So why is there so much of a debate of why Apple is FAR superior than Microsoft's Windows? Sorry, had to add a little Mac faith into this post. heh heh

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-14-1999 12:18 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're right, speed isn't going to be that important. Everyone has given me some good advice that I will take into consideration. I'm also going to see my internet provider soon to sign up the booth for service. I'll let you know when we're online!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: