Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Volume levels in theaters (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Volume levels in theaters
Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-03-1999 01:11 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Someone I know mentioned to me that he sees people asleep in the theaters all the time, and this is due to the high volume levels that they encounter. The decibel levels are too high.

Have any of you ever gone to a rock concert, and come away with your ears ringing, and feeling exausted?

Theaters seem to be worse, because the room is smaller than most concert stages, and the walls are treated with various kinds of sound proofing.

The new digital sound is pumping more volume than optical sound ever dreamed of, and running the same amount of output wattage.

Why is it that the sound level has to be totally screaming at you?

He is not an old fart complaining. He is a rock musician.

I've tested this theory on a theater viewing of "Die Hard." I saw it in a loud theater, and I fell asleep, which is something I dont do in a theater, normally. I rented it on VHS and ran it at home on my Hi-Fi system at a decent volume level, and I never once got tired.

So, on this note, what do you think? Are decibel levels relevant or not?

Have you ever put on headphones and blasted music (or whatever) for any length of time? I have, and it put me to sleep.

I think that there is too much emphasis on the sound quality, and not enough on the picture. Sometimes the lamp brightness is low, or blue-looking, etc. but the loudness is what I am talking about here.

Whatcha think, guys? Will this change anything, or should people just bring ear plugs?

|  IP: Logged

Erika Hellgren
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-03-1999 04:37 PM      Profile for Erika Hellgren   Email Erika Hellgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really have to chime in on this one, as sound level is a great concern of mine. I believe it was around the year that Twister came out that the digital mixes in movies just got louder and louder. And this was about the same year I began complaining about cronic headaches. That's what I suffer from when I watch loud movies (I rarely fall asleep, the movie has to be super boring in order for that to happen).

Anyway, I don't agree that picture should be of greater concern than sound - in my opinion the two should be dealt with with equal attention. In my experience, if you are getting a high number of volume complaints from patrons, it could be one or all of three problems.

First, is the auditorium properly EQed? I cannot tell you how often I go to theatres where the levels are WAY off. The primary reason for this is because of "movable digital units". DTS's biggest selling point is that their units are movable. My advice from many years of blown speakers is -- DON'T!!! If you're going to move a digital unit, you need to reset the levels EVERYTIME! And you must have the proper equipment for this (sound level meter, DTS imperical test disc, ect.) I find that the best levels are: 85db for Right and Left, 84db for Center, 83db for both Surrounds, and 92db for Subs.

Second, the problem may be the movie's mix. I gotta tell ya, there are some terrible sound mixers out there, and most of them work for Jerry Bruckhiemer. Honestly, if you ever get one of his movies, TURN IT DOWN! Aramageddon gave me a blaring headache -- too much high end, and way too many sounds mixed in all at once. My ears can only take so much. So, this is why it is very important to screen movies before showing them to an audience, so that you can determine the best level to play them at. (Pleasantville, for example, needed to be played at 7.0) And, unfortunately this causes another problem, because too many projectionists I've met want to play movies too loud cause they think it's "cool" or something. But, truly, the customers rarely find it cool, nor do the techs when they have to replace blown tweeters. Watch your amps to make sure they are not clipping, and always keep the paying customers' eardrums in mind.

A third problem that we have to encounter reguarding sound is trailers. That's when customers complain the most about sound. Luckily, I work with an automation system that has volume change options, so I play trailers quite a bit quieter than the movie itself. But for those not blessed with the same equipment, the tendency is to turn the fader down during the trailers when the customers complain, then it never gets turned up again for the movie. I don't know a single UA theatre in my town that doesn't play their movies at 4.5 or lower. In my opinion that is as unnecessary as playing movies too loud. I know that monitoring fader levels in a multiplex is near impossible, but there are solutions. For example, check out the advice Brad has on this website - I think it's called "Battling loud trailers."

Anyway, I've rambled on enough (I could go on forever about this topic, but I won't)

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-03-1999 05:32 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting observations. I'd never really made the connection between "loudness" and "tendency to fall asleep," but now that you mention it, I can recall sitting in a VERY loud theatre during the initial release of "Return of the Jedi" and dozing off right in the middle of the film, not waking up until the end of the credits!
I agree that too much emphasis has been placed on film sound in the past several years at the expense of image quality. Of course, both sound and picture quality are important, but, given the choice, I'd rather have a razor-sharp picture, properly cropped with a well-cut aperture plate, and the sound system from hell than be forced to endure a film in glorious 70mm six-track Dolby SR mag projected with the lamphouses and lenses from hell.
Multichannel sound is nice, but overrated. I'd much rather have a really top-quality mono system than a compromised Dolby Stereo (or, worse, digital) system. The mono optical tracks on old IB Tech 35mm prints blow away most current tracks with respect to dynamic range and clarity. (I'm referring to area tracks here...I'm not advocating density tracks!).
I hope that people don't misinterpret this post...of course sound is important, but I can get reasonably good quality sound at home with a VCR or Laserdisc or DVD player. On the other hand, NTSC television will never come close to matching the potential for image quality with 35mm or even 16mm film, given proper lenses, masking, screens, aperture plates, and lamphouses.

One last comment--it seems that the first-run houses tend to play films way too loudly and the second-run and art/rep houses do exactly the opposite. The added dynamic range of the digital systems in the first-run theatres may have something to do with it, but I think that there's more to it than that. Would anyone care to try to explain this?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-03-1999 08:33 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
This thread ought to get REAL interesting.

Personally I must admit I think Bruce is correct here...with a few specifics.

How bright is that lamp? Crank it up over 18fl and you will fall asleep purely from the eye strain!

Is there enough low end in the system to take the harshness out of the sound? For some oddball reason, many engineers seem to think the low end should be rolled off just like the high end! This tends to make the sound unnecessarily harsh and the eardrums cannot handle the decibel levels without the low end's air pressure, resulting in a headache.

I'm by no means an expert, but I know what I've experienced. My personal (and medically unconfirmed) theory is the eardrums are similar to the eyes. When it is bright, the iris in your eyes close to protect them from the intense light. Consequently they open up when it is darker. I believe a similar thing happens with the ears. When there is a lot of bass in the sound, the ears "close up" to protect themselves. When there is a lack of bass (say from an engineer rolling off the bass to prevent bleedthrough in less than ideal installations), the ears "stay open" and basically get blasted. The end result is a headache and ringing.

But as always, don't take my word for it. Watch a movie one day when you're feeling good and alert on a good system which has been well calibrated. Then, go back on another day when you feel equally well and alert and watch the same film, but this time roll off the bass. (This can be accomplished by using the "bass" control on the cat64s in a Dolby processor and turning off the subwoofer amplifiers for the show.) Now run the film at exactly the same fader setting. You WILL have a headache in no time. Playing SR tracks through Dolby A decoders is a very similar effect.

I must also point out the lack of a good eq. The best system in the world will sound like absolute crap if it is not properly eq'd! This MUST be done with a multiplexer and real time analyzer. I prefer to cut to correct for acoustics and speakers rather than boost. Boosting frequencies tends to add a false sound to the system. Consequently, regardless of what people may say, the "digital" eqs found in SDDS and the CP500 must be eq'd in the same manner as analog eqs. Many people seem to be fooled into thinking they can crank one frequency and kill the next one without compromise. That practice will result in bad sound every time. No two adjacent frequencies should be very far from each other.

Before I stop blabbing here, I must also point out the need for actual listening in the auditorium during calibration. Many engineers simply eq a flat line with the standard high frequency rolloff and quit. This is great and all, but the final adjustments MUST be done by ear. Larger rooms require less treble and more bass while smaller rooms require more treble and less bass. Generally this can be accomplished purely by the course bass and treble controls on Dolby processors. Other processors do not have this and the eq process (to do it right) will take much longer.

One last thing, watch the 4K area! That seems to be the headache-central frequency sound mixers love to use. Anyone see "The Mummy"? I don't think it would've been possible for the mixers to crank the 2-8K frequencies up any more on that title! Personally I prefer to make a slight dip smoothly around those frequencies (not a lot, just a touch) as I feel it greatly improves the sound. Another area to watch out for is the 160-400hz area. Since many engineers tend to start the rolloff around 100hz or so, those frequencies will leave you with a jukebox-type sound, as if the sound is traveling through a tube. Slight rolloffs there (depending on the room) are many times advantageous.

Done properly, that same film which is killing the audience at 4.5 should be able to be ran well over 8.0 without headaches.

Oh yeah, we were talking about falling asleep. In reference to the sound, yes...but only on a good system.

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-03-1999 10:06 PM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always monitor sound levels in auditoriums myself and adjust the level to what is comfortable which is between 5.5 and 6.0 on a dolby processor which has been properly adjusted and eqalized by a certified tech which all our techs are. The sound levels are then noted for the rest of the week and also programed into the easymation automation unit.Of course I dont just set and forget I always keep a eye on the number of patrons as this also affects the sound levels,on a busy session sound levels are increased slightly. Even though Dolby recomend that dolby tracks be run on 7 which is their pressure level I hardly ever run the sound on 7 as there would be to many complaints.Floor staff are always also keep a eye on levels as well.

------------------

Kenn Fong
Film Handler

- posted 09-03-1999 10:34 PM      Profile for Kenn Fong   Author's Homepage   Email Kenn Fong   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, everything is TOO LOUD. As an usher, I'm supposed to clean the auditoriums as soon as the customers leave, (or work in such a way as to not disturb them). That means I'm in the auditorium during the closing credits. I received permission not to clean "Detroit Rock City" until the credits ended because the sound was ear-bleed loud. After mentioning this to the projectionists, they lowered it a little but left it high because that crowd -- that's generous since no one came to see it -- likes their music loud.

I should say our union projectionists at the Grand Lake take a lot of pride in their presentation and do ride the levels conscientiously. (They haven't yet become regular readers here -- despite my urging and printing out of the material for their perusal -- so I needn't worry about brown-nosing.)

I took my 2.5 year-old nephew to see "Muppets In Space" at his local monsterplex and he kept saying, "tooo loud" and three complaints at the snack bar (and resulting phone calls to the booth) yielded no relief. I know the pots will be set too high at one local monsterplex so I bring plugs.

------------------
Kenn Fong
http://qwertyuiop.net
Screenwriter's Home Page

George Roher
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-03-1999 10:50 PM      Profile for George Roher   Email George Roher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce, you are correct. I've been to Metallica concerts that I left feeling great, but a screening of "The Mummy" made me feel like my head was going to explode, and left my ears taxed and exhausted. I think since the sound system is the only thing theatre owners have bothered to put money into, they feel like it must be cranked to get their money's worth.

Another problem is horrible mixing. Take for instance the following scene from "Saving Private Ryan":
"whisper...whisper...BANG!...whisper...BOOM!...whisper...BOOM!...BANG!" I hope I quoted that scene accurately.

I have to agree whole heartedly with Scott. I am more interested in a good image than sound. My favorite director is Woody Allen, and all of his stuff is mono. I do enjoy good surround sound, but I'm sick of hearing people talk about it as if it is the whole experience. Picture without sound can be enjoyable, Charlie Chaplin comes to mind. But sound without image is nothing.

Ed Johnson
Film Handler

- posted 09-03-1999 11:11 PM      Profile for Ed Johnson   Email Ed Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone have problems with the General's Daughter? The sound mixer for that one must have been completely bass-happy. Even with the processor at a reasonable level (between 7.0 and 7.5, I think) we ended up blowing a subwoofer on one of the first showings.

As far as I know, it's the only time we've had to replace a speaker due to excessive volume in our theater.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-03-1999 11:20 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The most "bass happy" flick I've seen lately was The Haunting. I'd take that any day over The Mummy's mix, though.

Personally, I thought the mix on The Matrix was by far the best this year (so far). What about everyone else?

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-04-1999 12:27 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad everyone feels this way. Actually, I bore as easily as anybody when a show is dull. My remarks about picture vs. sound were wrong, as Erika correctly stated. My frend and I had a long discussion before I wrote the epic post. He saw the Blair thing this past weekend and noted that patrons were covering their ears during some vocal parts of the film. He is very careful with his ears. Acid Rock is his game, and yet he can hear someone outside with the windows closed with the TV blaring (Not starting on TV sound...)
As was stated earlier, the eyes get tired, and so do the ears. Since your balance is here, too, you might close your eyes if you are feeling a bit lite-headed, then snooze.

As for dull films, I have been known to love films that smelled. Plan 9, Glen or Glenda? Many AIP, or most of todays films?

We just basically think that films are relying on wild sound mixing, and loud music to cover a weak story, or something to that effect. Give me simple 2-channel stereo. You get a neet phantom center channel.

The thing that started this was the fact that I was playing the sound too loud, and EQ'd poorly here on the home system. With a few adjustments, I saw the light. Heard it too.

Bruce

AndrewBurnell
Film Handler

- posted 09-04-1999 08:35 AM      Profile for AndrewBurnell   Email AndrewBurnell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While it's a bit off topic...

I don't see why we even have surround channels... In our theatre the most you'd be able to hear through them is for about 5mins in total through a 2hr movie.

As far as loudness goes, we keep a really good eye on it, we turn our analogue tracks up a tiny bit since they don't have the 'punch' DTS has.

3/6 of our theatres have DTS and we move the DTS units around a lot, I know we also don't re-eq after each one.

On another good note I'm being trained in the box office next week, my last step b4 projection! Sorry, I just had to tell someone

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-04-1999 08:54 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The worst surround I ever experienced was seeing Raiders of the Lost Ark at the Fox Theater in Atlanta years ago. I'm sorry to say this because I love this grand old theater, and it is absolutely beautiful inside and out.

The auditorium holds almost 4000 people, and from the front of the balcony, one could not hear the speakers behind the screen because the surround system on the side walls, and behind were blasting an odd echo-ey sound. My folks were in town that weekend, and we all came away with good headaches. They didn't like the film until I ran a 16 print years later for them. I go there to see old classics that dont have major stereo. These always sound very good here. Its amazing how little power it takes for 5 amps to fill a 4000 seat theater with rich sound. Just forget surround.

George Roher
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-05-1999 12:29 AM      Profile for George Roher   Email George Roher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of bad sound, the theatre I ran today has a couple of houses (I should say shoe boxes) that are extremely long and narrow. It's almost impossible, if not completely impossible, to hear the front channels when sitting near the back.

I used to work at a theatre that actually used home pro-logic systems in two of it's houses. One house in particular had very warm and rich sound that I found quite pleasant. It was much more enjoyable than digital systems set up wrong or cranked to 11. There is a certain warmth in analogue sound that digital can't touch. But I do enjoy good digital sound.

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-05-1999 01:52 AM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems as though some of you are advocating elimination of the surround channel altogether. Carrying this to its logical conclusion, may we look forward to the next few posts suggesting that since, in long narrow theatres, it is difficult to differentiate separation of the stage channels, wouldn't mono be a wonderful way to go? (Hasn't this already been suggested?).
I agree that,while improper level setting and incompetent equalization of the surround channels may prove devastating to the enjoyment of any film, the surround channel, when set up properly, defenitley adds to the presentation. Watching a motion picture as Ted Uzzle of Altec once stated, was like "sitting in a dark tunnel, looking out into bright daylight. The addition of the surround channel helps to bring you out of that tunnel".
Properly set up (and admittedly properly mixed), the surround channel should act as an almost subliminal adjunct to the screen action -the rustle of leaves as two figures are walking through a woods, the echo of voices in a tunnel, - you fill in your own examples.
As a technician, I too have had to deal with theatre owners who scream "I paid for 'em, I want to hear 'em". It takes a great deal of tact and diplomacy to convince these people that louder is not always better.
Even after an installation is complete, digital problems with the surround levels occur. (People put their digits on them).
Still, provided that the levels and EQ are set correctly, and providing that your settings are not altered, the surround channel. as I have already mentioned, should be an addittion - not a distraction from the performance.
Also, I am somewhat confused over the comment that the D.T.S. levels should be reset each time the unit is moved. Assuming that the cinema processor B-chains have been properly set up in each theatre (for example, 85 dbC-slow in the case of Dolby), (the adjustments for this are in the B-chain section of the processor), should not an accessory unit, such as D.T.S. which worked in one auditorium, produce the same equivalent levels in another auditorium?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-05-1999 11:24 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only time the DTS levels need to be changefrom aud to aud is if the digital inputs of the diffreent processors have different input sensitivities or you are using the flow through mode with a CP50 100 or 200
Also a DTS unit seems very prown to drifting even in a fixed installation I have noticed about a 3-4 db difference in the course of a few weeks.
Room humidity of course makes vast level and eq differences in the aud and in many casesit is in the spring and fall when tuneup ocour
Back many years ago a memo came out from Dolby re surround levels
stating in effect that if theatres continued to set over high levels in the surround channels they would do away with the surround channel completly
Wood Allen mixes all his films in format 03 DOlby stereo with out surround
Most complaints about to loud is usualy due to distortion in the system making it uncomfortable not to loud. Many years ago there was a paper from I belive Bell Labs that hearing loss was due to distortion more than anything else

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: