Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Different types of splicing tape (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Different types of splicing tape
Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-02-1999 03:26 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

I recently bought 10 rolls of "Quik splice" mylar tape made by Hudson Photographc Ind. The guy I bought it from threw in 4 extra rolls of tape: 2 have a yellow line printed across the tape. Ment to show where to line up the perfholes, I guess, and 2 have red lines. Is this just an easy way to see if it is your splices that are buckling, etc. or is it just for general identification.

Also, the "quik splice" tape is in plastic wrap. I am leaving it in the shrink until I need it. Any suggestions on storage? I decided to use up the yellow tape first. You dont see the yellow line onscreen unless you are repairing damaged sprocket holes (not my prints-haha) I will appreciate all answers.

Brad: we need Film Guard here in the mountains of NC!

Bruce

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-02-1999 04:06 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The yellow-line tape is usually called "zebra tape" and is more expensive because of the lines. The idea is to use it for makeup splices on large reels or platters, so that finding the splice is (theoretically) easier when breaking down the print at the end of a run. Repair splices should still be made with clear tape in order to distinguish repairs from makeup splices. With flat prints designed to be run at 1.66 or 1.85:1, you won't see the line onscreen, although it does show up with scope prints.

When I was regularly running films with 6000' reels, my preference was not to use the zebra tape at all except for really splicy prints (for example, most anything from Kit Parker), since the tape that we had didn't peel as easily as Neumade clear tape and since finding splices usually isn't that difficult anyway.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-02-1999 04:06 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
What you have is zebra tape. It is meant to be used to join the reels together and not for general splicing. The idea is to make it easier to break down, regardless of platter or 6000' reels.

Personally I don't like the stuff. There is something about having those colored lines which makes peeling the tape off virtually impossible...and I don't like losing a frame.

Your storing the unused rolls in the plastic wrap is the ideal storage method. This will keep the sticky edges from accumulating dust and dirt, resulting in black "lines" on your scratches. Also make sure to never store a roll of tape on it's side, as the same end result will occur.

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-02-1999 06:00 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A number of projectionists I know, recommend storing their splicing tape, in plastic wrap, (not on its side) in a refrigerator. They claim that by doing this, they have no problems with the tape "peeling". Of course, if there is no fridge in the booth, it may mean negotiation with the candy bar staff.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-02-1999 08:34 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd keep the tape in a cool cupboard but leave the wrapping on. This way it won't get dirt on the sticky edges and thus onto your prints when you make a splice

------------------
John

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-02-1999 08:57 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK. I wont use the zebra tape. Storage of the tape is as close as the kitchen. When storing tape, I dont want to lay it on the cut edges? Does the adhesive tend to oooozzze out?

I'm ready to get the plastic wrap...

Bruce

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-02-1999 10:19 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The QuickSplice splicing tape is known for the adhesive oozing out, but the clear is far better than the zebra. Personally I prefer the Neumade splicing tapes, the adhesive dosen't ooze and they are easily peelable. I belive there are many on here that would agree with me.

On the other had I was recently given a few rolls of clear splicing tape the name on the core says "Frame to Frame" no other name or anything... it seems to be doing OK.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-02-1999 11:11 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason,

Beware of that Frame to Frame tape! I guarantee you it will stretch on you. I tried this stuff about 6 months ago and thought it was fine until I had put about a month or perhaps two of running on my splices, then they started to split apart! The Hudson Photographic is excellent tape provided you don't ever plan on peeling the tape off (great for repair work within a reel). For reel joints I must recommend the Neumade.

The way I see it, any tape that will stretch when pulled taught between your hands can't be reliable.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-03-1999 10:57 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then I shoud get a few rolls of Neumade tape. Anybody got any they'd like to sell? Since I only have 2000' reels, the Hudson tape is going to last for awhile. I will stop using the zebra, as I found out that it leaves the yellow on my print!

Oh well, drag out the Pic-Clear and clean off the residue!

Thanks

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-03-1999 12:08 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've used the Frame to Frame tape for editing 16mm workprint. It's fine for that purpose (which is, I believe, what it's intended for), but I wouldn't recommend it for theatre use.

In addition to Neumade (my favorite), I have also been consistantly been pleased with the 16mm and 35mm clear non-perforated splicing tape sold by Christie's Editorial in Burbank, CA. under their own brand name. It's expensive ($5/roll), but it's almost as good as Neumade and they will sell it by the roll, so that you don't need to buy it in larger quantities. I haven't tried the Hudson Photographic tape yet, since I continue to be very happy with Neumade.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-04-1999 11:47 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best tape I have used recently is the new zebra tape that was designed specifically for Dolby Digital. It only 4 perfs wwide, so the processor doesn't jump back to SR at every splice(Remember loose more than 4 blocks of data and it jumps back). Instead of yellow its purple. One purple line is narrower than the other so you don't cover the data blocks with the stripe as you would with the yellow stuff from Neumade or HP. The stuff is sold here by Marble Co., and I assume by some others as well. Its imported from England. Give it a try, say goodby to splice blips!!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-04-1999 11:48 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best tape I have used recently is the new zebra tape that was designed specifically for Dolby Digital. Its only 4 perfs wide, so the processor doesn't jump back to SR at every splice(Remember loose more than 4 blocks of data and it jumps back). Instead of yellow its purple. One purple line is narrower than the other so you don't cover the data blocks with the stripe as you would with the yellow stuff from Neumade or HP. The stuff is sold here by Marble Co., and I assume by some others as well. Its imported from England. Give it a try, say goodby to splice blips!!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-05-1999 11:29 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The marble tape is made by Jack Roe in England and they make exceptional tape in a lot of different widths. It doesn't ooze and will peel off and is optically clear Also if dealers order a lot from marble they will put your logo in the core

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-08-1999 05:22 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of Zebra Tape...

We got this order of tape that had a solid yellow 'crossbar' on it instead of the usual dashed line. With the dashed line, I could make sure that the yellow line never touched the soundtrack. You can position the soundtrack between the dashes. With this new crap, you have to cover the soundtrack. Obviously, now I have noise in my splices.

If you look at the tape closely, you'll notice that the printing has small dots at the edges of the crossbar. Now instead of a nice quite splice, (except for an almost imperceptible 'woosh'), I get a splice that sounds like a bowl of Rice Krispies! (Snap, Crackle, POP!)

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2001 07:42 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been told that the yellow striped tape and the red striped tape are for the same purpose, and it's just a matter of preference. I've also been told that the red striped tape doesn't block out the sound track. Your thoughts on this?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: