Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Kodak Projection Training (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Kodak Projection Training
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-19-1999 06:07 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could not pass this one up. Here is Kodak's latest ad from Box Office magazine:

It is good that there is a place people can turn if they feel that they need to learn more. But is the picture in this ad the best way to represent that? Look carefully.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-19-1999 06:12 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In case you missed it, here is a blowup of the goofy part. What is this guy thinking? Why does he look so baffled? What exactly is it that he is trying ever so hard to accomplish? I could not resist adding my own captions.

Also, note that the film is seriously misthreaded. I hope that nobody uses this as a quick threading diagram for the Christie platter. Is this the guy who teaches the seminar? Why is he wearing gloves and holding a flashlight? I don't think he's going to be able to fix the film that way. The fact that he is wearing gloves leads me to believe that he is from Kodak and trying to set a good example. But the misthreaded film and the clueless look on his face leads me to believe that he is a confused "projectionist" or something representing how others feel in the booth around machinery that they do not quite understand. Forgive me, John, but I just think that this ad is funny!

Whatever happened to Kodak trainer Jeff Johnson? Did he get fed up and quit and go become a police officer or something?

A tip from Joe: Don't listen if somebody tells you to wind the film on the platter "emulsion in". This is bad. Always wind "emulsion out" or soundtrack up. At least the guy in this picture seems to have done that, as far as I can tell.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-19-1999 08:58 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That ad is really funny. I still haven't figured out the whole emulsion-in vs. emulsion-out debate, personally, so I just stick to the standard "S-wind" approach for reel-to-reel work; top reel is wound emulsion-out and spins counterclockwise, bottom reel takes up emulsion in and spins clockwise. I store films heads-out/emulsion-out, although I have been known to use the shipping reels as take-ups on the last show and ship the films tails-out/emulsion-in. Any problems that I've had with focus drift seem to have more to do with the print, lab, and stock, rather than winding orientation as the print arrived at the theatre.

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-19-1999 01:20 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interresting side note, the Kodak projection training seminar is taught by a former AMC "projectionist/manager" Given that one REALLY has to wonder about the quality of instruction given.

George Roher
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-19-1999 09:55 PM      Profile for George Roher   Email George Roher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the worried guy in the picture is a manager who refuses to hire a real projectionist and is suffering for it.

I have worked with people who threaded Christie platters the same way shown in the photo. It was fun.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-20-1999 03:52 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
If the fellow would just change the little platter arm light, he wouldn't be struggling with that flashlight and might be able to see what he screwed up.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-20-1999 09:26 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the wonderful world of advertising! The graphics in ads often don't reflect reality, but are intended to get your attention. From the reaction of some of you, the ad certainly got your attention.

The guy in the ad is Mark, a skilled film technician who works with me at Kodak. The photo was one of many posed at a local General Cinema Theatre by an outside photographer, working for the ad agency. We did not have a say in the choice of the photo chosen, or of the later digital manipulation of the image done to enhance the ad's visual impact, at the expense of "real" practice. For example:

The photographer insisted on the flashlight prop, to add visual interest. Film handler's gloves are a Kodak recommendation rarely followed by projectionists. I personally prefer to handle film "bare hands", which is fine as long as you have the discipline to handle the film by the edges only, and not get fingerprints onto the image area. But lint-free gloves are recommended if you tend to touch the image area. Can everyone honestly say they never leave fingerprints on the image area?

Keen eyes would see that not only is the platter "misthreaded", the threading shown is impossible to achieve in reality. Note that two strands of film seem to be coming from the inside of the feed roll. Note that the platter column is behind Mark, but the film strand is going off to the left. I'm surprised that no one caught that the frames on the print appear to 6-perf pulldown (no, it's not a Cinerama print), and the film does not have a soundtrack. The ad agency evidently thought that these changes enhanced the appearance of the ad. I suspect that sometimes these "errors" are deliberate, to attract attention to the ad.

Mark was told to "look concerned". He was playing the role of a ScreenCheck inspector, but they used the photo to represent a projectionist who worked hard, but Kodak could "help you to do your job better".

BTW, Mark does NOT have a beard --- it was digitally added later to make the ad more interesting (or change his identity to protect the innocent).

------------------
John Pytlak

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-20-1999 10:07 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The SMPTE Recommended Practice RP39 "Specifications for Maintaining an Emulsion-In Orientation on Theatrical Release Prints" applies mostly to film wound on reels and cores with a small hub diameter. The "core-set" imparted by emulsion-in orientation helps reduce focus flutter at higher power levels (e.g., 4000 watts or more). Focus flutter is much less of an issue at lower power levels.

With platters, the effect of winding orientation on focus flutter is much less important. Compared to a core or reel, the hub diameter is much greater, so there is little "core-set". The preferred winding orientation on a platter depends mostly upon the curl of the film, which in turn, depends upon the relative humidity in the projection room. Use the orientation that gives the best winding quality, and the least tendency for "static cling" in your situation.

------------------
John Pytlak

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-20-1999 01:04 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
"Can anyone honestly say they never leave fingerprints in the image area?"

Those of us with dry skin can! Of course, it really doesn't matter when using FilmGuard. (shameless plug )

"Note that the platter column is behind Mark."

Actually, no. If you look at his head, you will notice the top platter's arm with burned out light. Also, simply look at the brain's orientation to realize the film is headed toward the column.

But I'll give ya credit for the 6 perf! I didn't notice that in Joe's scan. haha Out of curiosity, why did they go to the trouble of loading up such a print? Why didn't they just get a shot of an existing print at the theater?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-20-1999 04:26 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, so the ad grabs attention. But wouldn't it be the advertiser's resposibility to make sure something good was done with that attention? If I were Kodak, I would rather the attention be something like "Gee, perhaps these guys can teach me a thing or two" instead of "Wow, these guys are crazy! I think I'll laugh at them. Here goes: Ha ha ha ha ha ha "

You need to get the right kind of attention. Oh yeah, notice how the film has a complete tralier pack. Must have cost a ton of $$$ to print up a special film just for this ad. I don't think most people will really dive into it except those of us who already know this stuff.

Actually I am willing to bet that the 6-perf film is actually 4-perf, just digitally "enhanced".

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-22-1999 09:32 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the way I think the Kodak ad should have been:

This ad is intended to be a farce, so people won't be confused about what is supposed to be going on in the pic. It is very clear that this guy is trying to thread the film with the tail going straight from the platter disc to the projector. Note that he also has a digital beard, just like other Kodak ads. No Kodak ad is complete without a digital beard.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-23-1999 09:42 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe --- please send your resume, and I'll give it to our advertising agency. I'm sure they can digitally enhance it.

------------------
John Pytlak

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-23-1999 12:21 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John-

If you like that, then I have a short (about 2 minutes or so) projection seminar video that you would like to see. Please specify VHS or S-VHS. I believe I still have your mailing address at Kodak.

--Joe

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-23-1999 12:49 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer D5 or Pluto RAID array, so I can look at video on a BIG screen. But VHS will do.

------------------
John Pytlak

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-25-1999 10:31 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Get it on high res beta

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: