Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » New Non-Digital Projection System (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: New Non-Digital Projection System
Kenn Fong
Film Handler

- posted 08-16-1999 12:26 AM      Profile for Kenn Fong   Author's Homepage   Email Kenn Fong   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

I thought your readers might be interested in this story from the Los Angeles Times about Maxi-Vision. Apparently it uses more of the print because it eliminates the analog track.

New Non-Digital Projection System http://www.latimes.com/HOME/BUSINESS/COTOWN/t000071357.html
Maxi-Vision (sidebar) http://www.latimes.com/HOME/BUSINESS/COTOWN/t000071358.html

I have no opinion on this. I'm just an usher in a movie theatre who writes screenplays at night. I read your forums because the projectionists are the smartest people in the theatre. It helps me understand them. (Not brown-nosing. Some of the concession people are aggressively stupid -- one high school grad couldn't mix soft drinks properly because she didn't know there were four quarts to a gallon. As she wasn't the least bit ashamed.)

------------------
Kenn Fong http://qwertyuiop.net
Screenwriter's Home Page

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-16-1999 08:30 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds interesting, and I would like to see it demonstrated. But that is about it. There are several reasons why this process will probably never see wide release. One of which is that everyone will have to modify their projectors to run the film. This reminds me of CDP, or COMPACT DISTRIBUTION PRINTS that United Artists Theatre Circuit was trying to develop. It used 2 and a half perfs per fame, instead of 3 that "MaxiVision" uses. I just don't like that. It would eliminate anamorphic lenses (good) but the image area of the film would still be less. But it runs twice as fast, doubling the detail? I didn't know that you could interlace film. I really can't have a true opinion until I see it demonstrated, which probably will not happen.

Also, why is it called "MaxiVision"? I think they could have come up with a more professional sounding name. It sounds like a tampon or something.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-16-1999 11:49 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those that have seen the 48fps MaxiVision demo (e.g., Roger Ebert, Dean Cundey ASC, etc.) have been very impressed. Ebert even featured it on his TV show. There is no doubt that higher frame rate and larger image area improve presentation quality.

Joe Redifer is correct that a new "Switchable Format Projector" is required, which has a switchable pull-down (3-perf and 4-perf), and variable frame rate (up to 48fps). The proposed system also uses a "Super 35" format, where the analog soundtrack is eliminated to allow more image area for the picture.

The MaxiVision website is at:
http://www.maxivisioncinema.com

I personally like the concept, but think it will be a "hard sell". It demands 100% reliability from the digital soundtrack (no analog back-up), and would require "dual inventory" prints for quite some time.

------------------
John Pytlak

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-16-1999 09:36 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been reading and thinking more about MaxiVision and I must commend and condemn it.

I commend it because it is using film, not digitally compressed video (yuck). I am glad that they believe in film enough to try to improve it. Digital "film" will be horribly compressed, even more so than DVD. And I hate the picture on most DVDs because it is so noisy and has tons of artifacts!

I must condemn it for the 48 frames per second thing. Why? More is better, right? Not always. Our brain does quite a bit of interpolation when we watch a normal 24fps movie. Even when we watch that same movie on TV. Looking at something running twice as fast will look much different. There will be less interpolation by the brain and it will look more like footage from COPS or a soap opera. I think that 48 fps would look too "real" to be acceptable for viewing a fictional movie. When I shoot video with my Canon XL1, I always shoot in 30 frames per second mode as opposed to 60 fields per second. Sure, it is a bit more jittery, but 60 fields per second just looks too much like camcorder footage, news footage, or cheesy soap operas.

I also don't like the $17,000 price tag to convert a single projector to run MaxipadVision.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-17-1999 11:29 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still $17,000 is a lot less than the cost of a DLP system

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-17-1999 02:49 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know today's "street price" of the equipment that was used for each of the "Star Wars Episode 1" electronic cinema screenings?

I heard the DLP projector was a specially tuned prototype version of the SXGA DLP projectors just coming on the market at somewhere near $125K. I heard the Pluto 360-gigabyte drive was about $100K, and the D/A converter was about $50K. Not to mention the custom MMR-8 24-bit digital sound system, or specially modified lamphouse, or server, or...

Am I out in left field? (I suspect I may be too low in my estimate).

------------------
John Pytlak

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-17-1999 06:21 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The only price I've heard was right from the TI rep's mouth. That was $80,000 for the projector alone, and does not include any hard drives or source playback hardware of any kind.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-17-1999 07:28 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, John. The prices that you list are for the HOME VERSION of digital cinema! The real deal will cost 10 times more for absolutely no reason

George Roher
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-17-1999 09:59 PM      Profile for George Roher   Email George Roher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And don't forget the Technician getting paid $50 an hour to run those special screenings. The reason those shows actually looked good is because there was a full time Tech getting paid a ton of money to run that one show, constantly tweak everything, and make everything perfect. Of course, TI was trying to sell their product so they had to make it look good. AMC and Regal won't have that obligation.

Martin Frandsen
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2000 04:42 AM      Profile for Martin Frandsen   Email Martin Frandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wondering how it's going with the Maxivision 48 project? does it have a future? Can the projectors currently being used, upgrades to run at 48 frames, or does it require a special Maxivision projector?

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-04-2000 06:38 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I'd like to see an upgrade to 30fps. The image is markedly clearer and sharper. You really don't appreciate it fully until you drop back to 24fps and notice just how bad it really is. Kind of like increasing the current on xenon. It's not so noticeable on screen on the way up, but winding it down it is very noticeable.

PS: even dolby digital performs better at higher frame rates...not 30fps obviously, but at 25fps I can get a Kelmar basement reader to run at an error rate of 0. to 1. on a three week old print of (unfilmguarded) The Patriot. At 24fps its at 2. to 3.

------------------
The Olympics are coming...RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!

Kevin Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2000 11:47 PM      Profile for Kevin Crawford   Email Kevin Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just sit back in the lazy boy, close your eyes, and imaging the knocking of an ultramittant running at 2X speed. And if you need to change a belt on a Christie every year, how about every 5 months? I don't like the idea.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 08-05-2000 01:41 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in my college days I took a class in bio-engineering (actually a whole year of that crap). The human brain can only process 30 frames per second. Any more is just eye candy, and tends to overload the optical nerves. Thats why 30fps looks so much more realistic than 24fps. The human brain can see the choppiness in a 24 frame movie, but when you watch it in 30 frames you really never see it. A switch to 30 fps format for film would definately rock.

dave

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-05-2000 02:42 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But maybe not rock so much in a booth with 10 or so machines chattering away...bring on the earplugs!

------------------
The Olympics are coming...RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!

Pat Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2000 05:44 AM      Profile for Pat Moore   Email Pat Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some other comments -- eagerly awaited, I know...
The price bandied about the street right now for the cinema versions of DLP Systems are a "List" Price in the low- to mid-$300,000 range. There will be plenty of deals available, of course, but that's still a sticker-shock number. I'm with John P., I just don't see much relief in the near future. Content is not there to justify prices near that level and the theatre's coffers are a bit short right now.
For Maxivision, I love parts of the concept, but also have to say that a lot of this has been talked about and proposed before. Maxivision kind of combines a lot of things that have been talked about before, using an electronic film motion system to cover the bases.
30-frame projection rates have long been advocated by many, many folks but the industry (production and exhibition side) wasn't too thrilled about needing 25% film stock to do it -- cost issue there. Projectors could be pretty easily modified and most recently manufactured mechanisms would take 30FPS -- I feel good saying that about our stuff, anyway. Either a fairly simple gearing change is required, or an 3-phase motor and inverter would allow either 24 or 30FPS operation by a switch. We even built a series of automations ten and twelve years ago anticipating that dual mode of operation possibility, but as we all know it never quite got there.
The industry got a little serious about 30FPS, but wanted to tie it to 3-perf pull-down to do it. Rationalization was that most release prints were in 1.85/1 anyway, and that 3-perf would cover that format. The conversion costs were pretty significant now, since intermittent and film handling pieces needed heavy modification, not to mention the problems of wrapping film around the smaller diameter sprocket and keeping the image steady. It wasn't easy to go back-and-forth between formats on regular machines -- that's why an "electronic" version of a machine would make sense.
So the potential benefit of 30FPS was offset by locking ourselves into the small image problems of the 1.85/1 ratio -- doesn't matter how fast you run it or what anamorphics you might put in front of it, it's still 1.85 with most of its problems.
There were some great demo's of 35mm running at 30FPS a few years ago -- wow. It's not Oklahoma on 70mm, but it was pretty damn good. Look at a scope image in that format and it's a wow -- a lot of movement and other image problems seem to go away, film flex effects are actually reduced and the 60IPS rate is really good to the eye. Problem was that extra film cost, especially on the production side. How much the "real costs" might be, I can't say for sure, but it's pretty high. If you talk to those folks about a 25% increase in negative stock and the resulting processing costs going to positives, etc., they give a small whimper in protest.
Maxivision's approach to use the whoile film frame is a great idea, if we could get away without the comfort level (and necessity in much of the market) of an analog soundtrack. But that's just good old "Super 35" -- again, something available today and talked about often in the past.
Those of us on the image side of things would love to see it in theatre's today. Run that at 30FPS, with or without an anmorphic for ratio changes, and you've got a formidable image projection system that any digital format would have a tough time dealing with anytime in the near future.
As it is, leave the soundtrack in place, use the whole frame and use a 1.5X Anamorphic for 1.85/1. John and others (myself included) advocate such a format -- again, use the whole film image and it's amazing how good it can be.
I hate 1.85/1 -- anybody notice?
Too early on a Saturday -- time for some coffee.

Pat

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: