Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Fuji mystery

Author Topic: Fuji mystery
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-14-1999 03:48 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something that I have noticed over the last few weeks is that all bad reels that have come to my theatre that we have had to replace have been on Fuji stock. I don't know if this is some sort of bizzare coincidence or what. I also don't know what film stock would have to do with printing errors. But I thought that I should mention it.

I had to replace reel #2 on Austin Powers 2 (Fuji) do to a lab error throughout the entire thing.

There is an entire post on the Thomas Crown Affair (Fuji) and the bad reels with that movie. Brad got a good print and it is definitely Kodak according to him.

I have heard of several instances of Detroit Rock City (Fuji) having a few bad reels. One of the reels on my print had little marks on the edge for about a minute that looked as if somebody put them there with a sharpie marker. It doesn't last for the entire reel, and it is definitely not worth replacing since the movie is bombing so bad (4 people per show).

This is not to say that Kodak prints do not have errors. I just find it odd that all of my prints recently have been Fuji, and am wondering how in the world that has an effect, or if it even does? I really like Fuji!

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-14-1999 10:59 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd chalk it up to coincidence. I haven't found a pattern of bad reels to a particular stock of film...but I think all of the R2s for Detroit Rock City have that "Sharpie mark" on the left edge (visible only in full 2.39 aspect ratio). As to the Austin Powers 2 print, I had a bad R5 and other theaters around town had random bad reels. I think it's all just sloppy lab work.

I have heard that the Vision Premiere is able to withstand more intense heat from the lamphouse than Vision stock from theaters that had Phantom Menace on 2 screens with a print of each. I ran two Premiere prints on my giant screens and a regular Vision print on a third, smaller house and the embossing was only noticeable on the regular print with the smaller lamp. Perhaps Mr. Pytlak has more info on that one.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-15-1999 06:52 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What labs made these prints? Were any of them "color by Deluxe" (the lab we all love to hate)? The films mentioned were all wide releases, so it's reasonable to expect that they would be printed at high speed and quite prone to defects.

What type of quality control do labs have? Obviously, they're not going to pay someone to watch every reel of every print and approve or reject it, but I would hope that they would sample, say, one reel out of every batch or so. I doubt that it happens that way in real life, though. I've made a couple of 16mm shorts, and my experience with Technicolor NYC is that they expect the customer to inspect the print and report any defects, rather than checking it themselves, first.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-16-1999 12:11 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kodak Vision Premier Print Film (2393) has a slightly thicker emulsion than Kodak Vision Print Film (2383). Because of the slightly thicker emulsion, 2393 has a bit more curl at low humidity, which may affect focus position. Both films should be equally resistant to damage from excessive radiant energy, although "hot spotting" with a large lamp and inadequate heat filtration can still cause permanent damage.

------------------
John Pytlak

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-16-1999 12:38 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a few questions about the "Sharpie Mark" on the left hand image edge of Reel 2 of "Detroit Dark City": How frequently does the mark repeat? Is it exactly once per foot (every 16 frames)? What color is the mark? Is it always the same place on the frame? Is it on all the scenes in that reel?

One possible explanation is that some dirt from the raw stock got caught on the 64-tooth contact printing sprocket, such that it was imaged every 16 frames. Or the raw stock could have been prone to static or pressure marks, which would have a repeat frequency equal to the circumference of the roller causing them.

------------------
John Pytlak

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-16-1999 01:37 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been around town and looked at a few of these DRC prints (R2). The line doesn't even show up on most screens due to a compromise aspect ratio. However, for full 2.39 houses, there it is in all it's glory!

I don't think it is a repeating 16 frame mark. It seems too random...but will inspect closely this evening and post here on it.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-16-1999 04:38 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "sharpie mark" on reel 2 of my print repeats randomly on the top left of the screen. It is black. Definitely slower than every 16 frames. Maybe once every 2 seconds or so.

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-16-1999 04:43 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is almost like there is an analog track over there.

-------------------
Paul Konen
Usher B
Cinemark Theatres

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-17-1999 09:28 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe --- "Once every 2 seconds or so" could be related to the film manufacturer's edge print. Does the mark align with the manufacturer's edgeprint along the edge of the print?

------------------
John Pytlak

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: