Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Focusing Anamorphics

Author Topic: Focusing Anamorphics
Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 08-11-1999 04:27 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was reading the section of this site about focusing your 'scope lenses:

Here at TT17, we have the Schneider lenses where you slide the focus ring in and out to lock or unlock the lens. Since we have a few less-than-intelligent people who use the 'scope lens as a handle for turning the turret, (Century), the lenses get thrown off quite regularly. Since I have the blueprints to the building, I just set the lens back to the distance indicated on the drawings. I see, now, there is a better way...

My question is this: (Forgive my appearent stupidity)

What are you doing to the lens when you set the distance? I have heard people call this 'astigmatism'. My guess is that you are moving the focal point (node) of the lens back and forth until it is in the exact optical center of the anamorphic prism.

Once I get them back to the right settings I plan to mark the focus collar for ease of resetting. (AND I will tie a piece of polyester film around a very SENSITIVE part of the body of any one I catch using the lens as a handle and hang them upside down from the light pole in the parking lot!! )

Thanks for the input,

Randy

|  IP: Logged

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-12-1999 02:06 AM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your lenses may have some sort of locking screw to prevent them being adjusted by the stupid. You might check any documentation you recieved with the lens to find out for sure.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-17-1999 04:10 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Worse are the schnieder ones that have the little black knob on the front or the allen key hole and a quarter turn does the extremes of adjustment
Also has anyone been having problems with schnieder anamorphics going soft with time

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-17-1999 06:18 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I personally haven't had a problem with the Schneiders. I like the knob on the front better than the large focus ring of ISCO lenses. I find they are easier to fine tune without slipping during tightening.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-17-1999 08:15 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I definitely prefer the Schneiders with the twist lock on the front as well. You can easilly tell if it is locked or not. With the ISCO's it's kind of "touch and go", I guess, and you can mess things up easilly if you are not too careful. I also like the image quality of the Schneiders.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 08-18-1999 03:41 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I DO like those lenses except for the fact that they are easy to throw out of whack. (I'm looking for a locking screw. They are hard to find in the dark, ya' know. )

The thing that brought the whole question to mind was that I was taking my girlfriend to see Star Wars last week and it was out of focus. I sneaked upstairs to tweek it and it wouldn't focus. Next day at work I went back and checked and sure 'nuff, outta' whack!

Anyway, I'm going to have to go though every projector and check them. They are all probably messed up again.

PS: The "sensitive body part" I was talking about was TOES!!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: