Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dolby Digital Readers. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Dolby Digital Readers.
Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-11-1999 12:42 AM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am curios to find out why you guys in the U.S prefer to use penthouse readers rather than basement readers.I have used both and found no problems with either type of reader. I had the priviledge to attend a forum day which the company put on a couple of years ago when they and Dolby brought out a technician to Australia from the U.K. The question was raised which was better, and were told that Dolby recomended to use basement readers if possiable, the reason being was that up and down movement of the film coming from the platter caused the movement of the film through the reader to vary as the movement through the basement reader is more constant as I have said I have used both and have not had any problems with this.Most of our platters are located on the operating side of the projector at a close distance, whether or not this makes a differance or not. What do you guys think?.

------------------

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-11-1999 01:01 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have used both penthouse readers and basement readers myself. What type of projectors do you have your basement readers in? The type of projector is very important. We have a theatre with basement readers in Simplex projectors, and they work fairly well (white light, not L.E.D.) however the error rate hovers around 5 and 6 constantly, which is rather high. They don't fail too often, though. I personally use basement readers in the Christie P35GPOS machines, and the performance varies. If you have your belts too tight or the gears and pulleys are not clean, you will get vibration which will make the error rate jump to 'F' every few seconds. Once you iron out these problems, the error rate goes down anywhere from 0 to 4 consistantly. But all is not well in the world.

No matter what you do, there will always be vibration at the Dolby reader (basement). If you get less than a perfect print (all of them) then you will see jumps to 'F' on occasion. The LED intesity tends to drift over time as well. No 2 projectors will have the same exact amount of vibration. My fix for the Christie is simply to place a 1/4 nut under the upper tension arm of the reader and stick it down so it doesn't move. This eliminates about 80% of the vibration, so that only really bad prints with really bad code will 'F'. With penthouse readers, you can get the same low error rates, but rarely do you have to deal with F-ing or dropouts, even with opaque splices. They just seem to offer more stable and consistant performance without worries. I always put my platters on the non-operator side and allow at the very least 6 feet between the platter and the projector.

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-11-1999 09:27 AM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,
Thanks for your comments. The projectors in question are Centuries with the basement reader retro fited with a unit from Component Engineerng and the other a Cinemecanica Vic 5 with a factory fitted reader. The projectors fited with the cat 700 are Baueru3 and Kinoton f.p 30s.The platters used with the later are specco including the Centuries and Cinemecannica platters with the vic 5. They are placed about 6 ft on the operator side. The error rate with equipment above is low and hardly shows F.

------------------

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-11-1999 09:31 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I really don't think the whole platter thing has that much to do with it, unless the platter in question is a Christie with it's center brain roller spring still intact. That little back-tension roller is notorious for bouncing the film, which could cause such problems. Platter distance also should not be an issue, provided the platter is feeding out steadily in the first place. However, for reel to reel operation, I could see where a basement reader would be preferred since the tension constantly changes coming off the supply reel.

Personally, I think the major problem with the Christie basement reader is their bearings. Now, let me make this clear...I am guessing, as I have never worked with one up close and personal. However, the Christie analog reader's bearings are a joke, so why should the other be any different? Notice Simplexes and Centurys don't seem to have such problems with basement readers!

My main reason for sticking with a penthouse reader is moveability. With a basement setup, that's it. You're stuck! With a penthouse, you can move things around fairly easily should the need arise. The added bonus is of course, that I have yet to find a penthouse reader that did not track smoothly.

Stephen Jones 1
Film Handler

- posted 08-12-1999 05:59 AM      Profile for Stephen Jones 1   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Jones 1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

I agree with you on the concept of the basement readers in the Christie Projectors. I have worked with penthouse Dolby readers and basement readers and the basement readers go into "f" almost all the time. It's almost ridiculous. I have a question for you. I'm having a problem with two of my projectors where the analog sound from the P35GP Christie basement reader make the sound very "gargly" like the dialogue is underwater. I thought it might be the way some of the projectionist were threading the sound head. But, all were threading correctly and LED is correctly aligned. I was wondering if you had an idea what could be causing this.

------------------
Stephen Jones is the Booth Manager at a Cinemark Theatre in Benton, Arkansas

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-12-1999 08:03 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had this happen. There are a few things to check into:

• Is the sound drum spinning? The bearings are known to seize from time to time and can produce some horrible sound and scratch the print as well! Some WD-40 on the bearings (both sides) can help things until you can get replacement bearings.
  • Are the optics clean? Take a dry Q-Tip and rub both the LED and the lens so there isn't any dirt on the lens or LED itself. I've really never had a problem with this.
  • Are the tension arms bouncing up and down while the film is running? If so, the airpot needs to be adjusted. This can be done by taking a small wrench (I forget the size) and tightening the bottom screw until it only bounces 2 times when the projector starts and then stays steady when the projector is running.
  • Are you getting enough juice from the LED itself? There are two links (J3 and J4) on the analog pre-amp in the projector which can be cut to give more output on the analog side. J3 and J4 are in the center of the board located in the projector head. Remove two 1/4-20 allen head screws and flip board over, the jumpers are side by side in the middle of the board. Do this only if you cannot achieve Dolby Tone.

Somehow I am betting 10 to 1 it is the bearings causing the trouble from what you are saying.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-12-1999 08:29 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah, I almost forgot! Your optics could be "out of focus" as well. This has also happened to me at least twice. If you take an allen wrench and loosen the screw that holds the barrel to the sound lens in place, you should be able to twist the ring on the front of the lens back and forth and this can make a world of difference. You may want to confront the technician about doing this. Tell him to bring his oscilloscope. Usually the symptom is very muffled sound. How do the optics get like this? It's a Christie! It's designed to fail! Just kidding, they can become loose during shipment, and if you don't retighten them during install, bad things happen.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-12-1999 07:10 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it seems a little creativity has started with this thread. Stephen's "signature" is a pretty good idea to detail where the poster works. And what better way to make a point than in bold! Oh yeah, a little Dr. Evil humor is always fun too.

Seriously, I'm starting a new thread on Christie projectors after a visit by a Christie rep today...check it out, it'll surprise you.

RICK HAMILTON
Film Handler

- posted 08-12-1999 10:29 PM      Profile for RICK HAMILTON   Email RICK HAMILTON   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
STOP!!!!!! Don't touch that lens barrell! If you loosen any adjustments on the sound optics, you are asking for trouble if you don't have a scope, analyzer,test film and knowledge. It sounds like either lateral guide, or sound drum bearings. If you loosen and twist the lens barrel, then you mess up the azimuth. If you move the barrell in or out, then you mess up the focus. You need a scope and analyzer hooked up at the same time to make these adjustments! Do not attempt these!

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-13-1999 03:57 AM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While on the subject of SRD's, what type of oscilloscope is needed to sdjust them? I have seen older single and dual trace scopes for sale for reasonable prices, but I am not sure what I need.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-13-1999 05:43 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ummm... Didn't I say that he should get his tech in with his scope? Yes, I did! I think he is plenty smart enough to figure that part out anyway.

RICK HAMILTON
Film Handler

- posted 08-13-1999 11:03 PM      Profile for RICK HAMILTON   Email RICK HAMILTON   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No Joe....And I quote "You may want to confront the technician about doing this". If one of my booth people did something like this, there would be more than just a "confrontation". Please do not give technical advice like this to projectionists and booth managers! Why would the fact that it's a CHRISTIE projector make the lens barrel out of adjustment?? By the way, what does it take to be an "Expert Film Handler"? Just curious.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-13-1999 11:22 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The forum program is designed to "bump up" the postee's standing with a certain number of postings. The first promotion is at 100 to "Expert Film Handler" which Joe has just hit. (It in no way means you are not an expert, it's just a little fun thing built into the system.)

In reference to a projectionist who does not have the tools and knowledge to properly adjust an SRD reader, I would have to agree with Rick as typically it will cause more harm than good. This goes for analog sound too. However, I have been able to readjust not only an analog soundhead but an SRD soundhead without tools in an emergency situation in the field. It "is" possible, but of course, when I went back with the proper equipment, I was able to improve on it. ...but I did get it running for the show!

Also, I think I read Joe's post a little differently. I took it more to mean the adjustment is possible if the thing isn't working at all. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it doesn't work, what are you gonna do, break it?"

I have known Joe for awhile now and I can't imagine him intentionally trying to persuade a kid who knows nothing about what he is doing to make such an adjustment...however, I can see how such could be misinterpreted. In his defense, this forum started out with mainly experienced projectionists/engineers and has grown to include even newbies that want to learn the practice who haven't even been able to thread a machine yet. You have brought up an excellent tip for the forum here Rick. Some things requiring strict engineering knowledge might be best left for private emails between people. I think when Joe returns to the forum toniht, he will agree too.

Sean Thompson
Film Handler

- posted 08-14-1999 01:11 AM      Profile for Sean Thompson   Email Sean Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

This is a little off subject (...acutally a lot), but I would just like to say after reading this forum for the past few months and the posts that were just made, I have to conclude that you are one of the best moderators I have seen of any forums I frequent. You take so much pride in keeping this forum in tip-top shape. I would love to see what u do with your theaters! Keep up the good work!

Thanks Sean

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-14-1999 03:22 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am in no way responsible for what anybody else does in their projection booth. This is a forum of projection and film knowledge. If somebody has a question that I think I may have an answer for, then I will answer it. If it is overly technical, so be it. I do not know the technical skill of Stephen Jones 1, so that's why I said "you may want to have your tech..." Stephen Jones 1 is responsible for figuring out what he can and cannot accomplish on his own. Not everyone on this forum is a popcorn slinger running the projectors between batches of kernels. Most are hard working dedicated operators and engineers.

If you want to get on my case about my Dolby Digital tips and my Christie comment, then glide through the rest of this forum and behold all of the posts that yield technical answers. Mine isn't even the tip of the iceberg. You should respond to those guys, too. Look at Brad's "Christie Equipment Tips" page. Nowhere in there does it say "Have your technician do it for you". It is written as if he is telling you how to do it yourself. Perhaps a post telling everybody that without the proper tools and knowledge, you will screw up your Christie platter when you take it apart and mess with the spring near the filter cam? And behold all of the other anti-Christie comments on the site. It's called opinion. I don't want to get into nasty arguments, because that is not what this forum is for. It is for film handlers to share information.

Basically all that I am saying is that if you bash me for what I say, then you must bash everybody else who gives out similar technical information in the forum. I demand equal opportunity bashing!

Thank you.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: