Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Marking Reel Changes (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Marking Reel Changes
Thomas Ferreira
Film Handler

- posted 08-07-1999 01:20 AM      Profile for Thomas Ferreira   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Ferreira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

I was going to bring this up in the Thomas Crown Affair thread, but I figured I'd just start a new one. I didn't sneak the picture, but I did receive a used print for my booking(I have no idea why I'm playing this film instead of Mystery Men or Sixth Sense, but that's neither here nor there). Anyway, I was dismayed and shocked to see that each reel was marked with the dreaded SHOE POLISH!!! Who the hell is still doing this? We ceased this practice years ago when we found out what it can do to a DTS reader, not to mention the projector, polish slopped on the soundtrack, etc. I hate the Zebra tape, because I can never find it quick enough when doing a breakdown. My DM sent my the latest this week, yellow tape the width of cue tape to mark the changes, but I found it difficult to apply, so I went back to my old method-I trim a small Avery sticker, and fold it over under the reel change splice, taking care not to overlap the soundtrack. I rely on this, and the film stock changes when breaking down, and it never takes me more than 15 or 20 minutes, depending on which platter I'm breaking down off of. I'm curious to know others methods for marking reel changes.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-07-1999 03:18 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds as if your method is fullproof, however it still takes extra time during buildup. Usually when a print is resting on a platter, you can literally count each reel as they are all slightly different in color than the others. When you stop at a color change in the film, it is either a reel change or a lab splice. I usually use zebra tape just so I can tell the reel changes apart from the lab splices at a glance. Very rarely do I have problems finding the splice.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-07-1999 03:30 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas, first you should mention this thread in the Thomas Crown forum so people will know it is there. (But starting another one is certainly fine.) This is yet another example of the poor service Technicolor is offering to the movie industry.

In reference to your question, I use nothing. I build up with ultrasonic splices and the theater across the street must HATE ME for it when they get a built up print from me! I am against leaving an identification frame on the leader and making any mark on the film that isn't removable. Care to swing by and break down a print one day? So how do I do it?

Putting the ultrasonic splices aside (as they're damn near impossible to find) with a "tape" spliced print...gently curl the film in between your "bird" finger and thumb as you are breaking down. When you see a reel change coming up (by the color shade difference on the edge of the roll) start "feeling" for the splice. Trust me, you will definitely feel a tape splice run through your fingers with the film slightly curled! No need for zebra tape either.

Another tip I can offer is to take a piece of masking tape and put it on the edge of all the reels with the reel number and a "-" mark at the full point. This way, you will know how much film is supposed to be on each reel, if there is any question. Just make sure to always make your marks with masking tape or should the practice become widespread, you won't be able to tell the new marks from the old ones.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-07-1999 05:06 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I should have mentioned that I replace the cement lab splices with a clear tape splice, hence why I use zebra only at reel changes. I find that a single missing frame is far less annoying and distracting that a big, white, ugly cement splice rolling by with possible sound cut outs (Dolby Digital is far from perfect, even with penthouse readers). Everyone in the audience will see the lab splice. Maybe .001% will notice a missing frame. I have also noticed many times that the very first and last frame of a reel is slightly fubar'd. If so, off it goes.

Thomas Ferreira
Film Handler

- posted 08-07-1999 06:56 AM      Profile for Thomas Ferreira   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Ferreira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do leave two identification frames on the head and tail when making up, but I have received used prints with as many as eight or ten! I'll never understand why some people need so many.
The reason I don't use the Zebra tape, is that someone in our company bought a big supply of red tape. You can't see it anyway.
When I first came into my theater, there were two splicers there. Neither worked. One of the conditions of me becoming manager was to get a functional splicer. I just figured it would be a pain to have to keep switching the rolls of tape. Maybe I can get an ultrasonic splicer by 2010.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-07-1999 09:34 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad--do you lose frames when breaking down a print that was spliced together with an ultrasonic splicer? The main reason why I don't like cement splices (on acetate-base prints) is that two frames are lost at each splice, whereas good clear splicing tape can easily be peeled without the need to make a new cut when splicing leaders back on for shipping.

When I was working in a theatre with 6000' reels, I did all the inspection and breakdown with clear tape. I didn't even have zebra tape that was easily accessible, since I was afraid that someone would use it for a repair splice (which defeats the purpose of zebra tape) or for splicing head and tail leaders back on for shipping (which just looks really tacky to me). Besides, clear tape is cheaper and Neumade tape peels more easily than the zebra tape that I had (not sure of the brand). Since this was a single-screen house, I usually just watched the film on the last show and used little strips of paper inserted in the take-up reel to mark the reel changes.

In most cases, it would take me about an hour or so to inspect a print and rewind it heads-out on 6000' house reels. Actually, it takes about the same amount of time to inspect a print for 2000' reels, since I had to measure out each set of cue marks (and add them if needed). I don't know how long print breakdown took, since I usually broke down the first large reel while the second one was running. Often, for the last show of a film, I'd rewind the last 2000' onto a separate reel, so that I could have the entire print (except for the last reel) broken down, labelled, and banded before the end of the show.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-07-1999 09:52 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I should probably also mention that I actually enjoy print inspection (am I the only one who does? what is wrong with me?), and tend to be quite particular about it. I always remove automation tape from the image area (does anyone know how to get it off of the sprocket-hole edge? I've had very little success in this regard.); also, I always replace lab splices or zebra/opaque repair splices with clear tape. I also am pretty particular about print breakdown, labelling each reel with the film title, picture format (flat/1.33, flat/1.66, flat/1.85, scope), analog sound format (Dolby A, Dolby SR, mono), reel number, and head or tail. If the print is in unusually poor condition, I include a note to the next theatre with my name, the theatre name and phone number, and the date, and an explanation of the damage and a statement that the print arrived in that type of condition and that we didn't cause it.
If a print arrives without head or tail leaders, I return it with countdowns (salvaged from old trailers) on reels #1 and 4 and clear leader at the head and tail of every reel.
This was probably a bit excessive, but I think that it was mostly a reaction to having received a lot of prints in godawful condition and a faint hope that someone might actually appreciate receiving a print that could be shown without repairs. I would say that fewer than one in ten prints that I have handled have actually arrived from the distributor in fully runnable condition.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-07-1999 12:40 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
As to automation tape on the edges, the trick is to pick at one end until it is loose, then pull upwards at a 45 degree angle at a moderate/slow speed very steadily. Most of the time it will pull right off that way. Change your angle or speed during the strip and it will break.

Gotta love having that second projector for those Thursday night breakdowns! Even if running platter, the last reel could be pulled off and ran separately without the chance of making a tiny mark on the first few feet on the last reel from the "break the splice" platter trick.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 08-09-1999 02:07 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't usually have problems finding the ends of reels when I break down. First, you can find the ends of reels because of the difference in the color. Second, I put my (gloved) finger on the corner of the print and feel the splice go by as the print spins. The first time you don't feel the splice, stop. By the time you get the plater stopped, the splice will usually land right on the reel. (I slow way down when I get close)I guess it takes a little practice but after a while, it's easy.

A lot of other guys here at TT17 put tape at the splices or stick little clips of film in between. To me, it takes too much time. As far as I'm concerned, the more time you save the more you have to splice it back together right.

Alan Brandt
Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2000 01:48 AM      Profile for Alan Brandt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the past, I have seen people use tape to mark splices between the reels, but I have figured out a way to do this without ever missing a splice. AUTOMATICALLY. Before I breakdown a movie I find all the necessary splices in the movie. Then I simply use a utility knife to gouge a notch in the print. Because the breakdown table rewinds so fast, it causes that sucker to rip when it gets to one of thoses tears. I'd say only 75% of the time, the rip will cause the reel to stop suddenly, and pull the breakdown table into the platter. But in any case, when that does happen the platter stops anyway because the 3 amp fuse at the base of the SPECO platter has blown. Only once have I broken down a movie while a show was playing on the same platter and this occured, but it was a dumb movie so it didn't matter anyway.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-12-2000 02:31 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Um, do you want to elaborate on that method? The way I understand it, you are physically damaging the print when you are breaking it down. The idea is to keep the print in as good of condition as possible. Better than the condition you recieved it in.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-12-2000 02:46 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan, ever hear of slowing the platter down as the splice is nearing? Not to be too rude here, but that method is definitely damaging the first and last few feet of each reel and if I ever get a print that you have broken down, you can damn well bet your theater will get charged for it because I will reject it. It's sloppy and uncaring film handling any way you word it.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2000 09:56 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe you guys should lighten up a bit. I think it is fairly obvious he is joking. I mean, what person would post that here, even if they did do it. Besides, the parts about it yanking the makeup table into the platters 75% of the time and blowing the fuse kindof gives it away, doesn't it?

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 04-12-2000 12:07 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was a joke, too, but I've heard some totally crazy stuff from people trying to project, so....

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-12-2000 12:25 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
People generally associate a wink ( ) with a joke or make some notation of it. The way it was written, I believe it is not only true, but that he is very proud of his automatic breakdown method.

(Alan, if you are indeed joking you should consider wording things a bit more carefully in the future. You should also respond to this thread if you were just making a poor joke. It doesn't look good on you.)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: