Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Best/worst projector (Page 1)

This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  17  18  19 

Author Topic: Best/worst projector
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-05-1999 03:57 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do you think are the best and worst projectors available, and why? I personally like Century's the best. Although they are what I was trained on, they were in great shape and good performers as well. I also like Simplex except for the sounddrum.

As far as worst, I'll have to say the gearless Christies win that top honor, although I have never worked with a Ballantyne, so they could be worse. The Christie's yield a very low performance to maitenence ratio.

[This message has been edited by Joe Redifer (edited 08-05-1999).]

|  IP: Logged

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-05-1999 04:45 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best Projector; Digital Projection Lightning 15sx $124,995.

Oh were you guys talking about film?

Worst Projector; Ballentyne.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-05-1999 05:12 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget to add the cost of a Pluto 360-gigabyte RAID array. I hope you have deep pockets or a lot of equity in your home that you can borrow on. Remove all the seats closer than 2 screen heights. And don't accidently hot-spot that lamphouse. Otherwise, I agree it looks attractive.

BTW, how do you intend to get those 360 gigs to your theatre? Shipping a loaded Pluto array or several D5 tapes doesn't count.

My choice is a Norelco AA-II or Century JJ with 35mm and 70mm DTS.

------------------
John Pytlak

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-05-1999 05:23 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

I agree with all your statements. I was just being silly.

Ian

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-05-1999 09:05 PM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best projectors Ive used are Kinoton FP 30, Bauer U3 & B11 ( the Bauer B 11 is of 1956 vintage and as far as I know they are still running) and Century. The worst I have used are cinemecannica Vic 5 of course the older cinemmecanica projectors are good .

------------------

George Roher
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-05-1999 10:05 PM      Profile for George Roher   Email George Roher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't worked with every single machine out there. But my absolute favorite is the Simplex XL. It gave me the steadiest picture and was the easiest to maintain and operate. And the worst machine I have worked with would be the Cinemeccanica Vic 5. The Vic's have horrible horizontal weave, and gave me many problems.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-05-1999 11:02 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brenkerts are the best! Built like a tank and rock steady. They run for years. I also prefer Motiograph AA, Simplex XL, and Century "C" and "SA".

Ballentyne is crap. That framing coupler is a joke.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-06-1999 09:21 AM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like Simplex 35 and Simplex XL models myself.

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-06-1999 11:51 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best, Centry, hands down, wether be it JJ, SA (never worked with a C)

Worst, Cinemaccanica V-8, and Christie GPS.

I can take or leave Simplexes, I loathe that rubber wheel that rides on the emulsion, and I'm not fond of the oil bath either... but that aside they're decent machines

oh, all of the above are curved gates exepting the V-8

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 08-07-1999 03:48 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best Projectors? Hmmm...

35mm
1. Brenkert BX 60/80/100 (virtually unstoppable!)

2. Simplex XL/1015/1050 (Very steady pictures, Easy on film and relatively quiet)

3. Simplex E-7 (Also easy on film and quiet)

4. Century SA/DA/TA series (Good with most film, easy to repair/rebuild)

5. Century C/CC/H/HH STRAIGHT GATE (Same as the SA series but a tad quieter)

6. CFS/Rentec Dreamcatcher (I wish they could make this less expensive- its a very nice projector, IMO)

70/35mm:

1. Norelco AAII (There Are No Substitutes.)

2. Century JJ (Another Solid Performer!)

Worst Projectors:

1. Super Simplex (weak gear train, high maintenance)

2. Cinecita SA (Made In India Century knockoff- poor quality)

3. Monee MSP (Another Indian Century Knockoff-poor quality)

4. Century H/HH CURVED GATE (Major problems with polyestar dust clogging the trap causing unfocusable pictures requiring stoppage of he show to chip the packed-in dust deposits out of the trap)

5. Norelco FP20 (Lots of very expensive plastic parts in places where they should be metal, I have seen several of these with trailers and other objects jammed in to hold the gate closed...)

Of Course, YMMV.

Aaron

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-07-1999 11:41 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best 35mm
Motiograph AAA
Century CC
Norelco FP20
Ernaman 8B
Ernaman 15

Worst
SuperSimplex
Cinecita/Monee (same company)
Victoria 5
Bauer U3

Best 35/70
Westrex 5000
Norelco DP70 (AA2)
Favorite (Prevost/Zeiss)
Century JJ

Worst 35/70mm
Victoria 8
DP75
Monee/cinecita
Wassman Eurokino
Simplex

OK Projectors
Ballantyne Pro35 (built like a tank run for ever and leak oil)
Century SA
Prevost P55
Ernaman 9
FP 7

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-08-1999 12:10 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for not including the toy 35mm Holmes on the best/worst list.

Except for being very tight to thread, and starting too quickly, the two I have havn't scratched anything, and have a decently steady picture, except when running polyester trailers. After running several last night, I learned about the shedding problem. It looked like it snowed under the intermittent.

I told 2 more theater friends about this site last night. One was telling me about a Technicolor reel shattering and going through the ceiling the other day. I thought of you guys.

Bruce McGee

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-08-1999 12:20 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's so awful about the Super Simplex? I have one that I pretty much rebuilt and which seems decent. True, there's not a lot of "finger room" and the gate pressure isn't easily adjustable and the "drip-through" oil system leaves much to be desired, but the machine seems basically solid. Isn't the E-7 basically the same thing as the Super, but with a hand-operated oil pump? Obviously, I'd prefer a Century, and I wouldn't want to have to deal with these old Simplexes for daily theatre use, but I don't see what's so bad about them for home use. (I'm not defending the old Simplex stuff; I just haven't figured out what people really dislike about it yet.)

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 08-08-1999 03:22 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott...

Try running Supers in a real theatre with platters and you will soon see why Supers are so bad... Even more so with polyestar film

There are many differences between the Super and E7, the E7 has a more rugged gear train, and the casing was redesigned for more room, the gate and trap are different, and of course the E7 has the one-shot oil pump... I have had nothing but bad luck with Supers in modern theatre service, and after all the stripped gears and spun bushings we had an XL installed. As usual, YMMV...

Aaron

Trevor Bailey
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-08-1999 05:54 PM      Profile for Trevor Bailey   Author's Homepage   Email Trevor Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking from a maintenance standpoint, give me Century or give me death. Death would be defined as a Prevost P-93.

I am not very fond of Christie either, but the Prevost P-93 is the only inanimate object that has ever caused me to think of physical violence.

I could go on (at length) but you get the idea...

Others:
Simplex - they could run forever...but you see...the thing is...the theater has to put oil in them...
Ballantyne - that silly coupler...
Brenkert - great...until they break down...then none of the replacement parts fit right...
Norelco FP-20 - don't chains belong on bicycles?
Cinemeccanica - get a spare gear box and roll the dice...also good for practicing your "A-chain via telephone" skills

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  17  18  19 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: