Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Silver screens

Author Topic: Silver screens
Brian Paymer
Film Handler

- posted 08-03-1999 01:13 AM      Profile for Brian Paymer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it possible to paint a normal perforated mat white screen silver? Would painting it by hand result in the same quality as ordering a real silver screen from the manufacturer? If it would then where can I get a can of silver paint and how much? Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-03-1999 09:28 AM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Imax screen at Regal Mall of Georgia is going to paint their screen silver. They have a half a million dollar precision paint rig to paint the screen. I don't think you can do it very well with a can of paint and a brush. Also, what is your application for a silver screen? A silver screen has poor dispersion of light. It reflects light directly back towards the light source. A matte white screen disperses the light so that people on the sides of the theatre can see the image as well as the people in the center of the theatre. With a silver screen the person in the center of the theatre sees a brighter image than a person on the side of the theatre. A silver screen is a high gain screen and a matte white screen is a low gain screen. The lower the gain, the greater the dispersion. Conversely, the higher the gain the lower the dispersion.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-03-1999 12:25 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Technicote sell screen paint
you should spray it on in very light coats or the vinyl will melt
also it must be vacumed from behind while the paint is still wet to clear out the perforations
Harkness Hall does all the IMAX screens and they are just to big to coat in there plant and then ship as they would have to be rolled in a tube 80' long
They use a prortable :-) precision spraying system that applies a very even coatinhg to the screen

If you have a deeply curved screen a silver screen is a must to prevent cross reflections
gordon

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-03-1999 01:17 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering how they keep the paint out of the holes in the screen. I had visions of some guy with a safety pin punching the holes back in the screen after the paint dried.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-03-1999 03:12 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Contrast in particular, but colors, brightness and sharpness is improved with silver screens. I love them! Just make sure the auditorium isn't too wide for it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: